Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right you are...rates are up 3% which is huge. @unk45 I know the major transactions don't move through the open FX counters but for little guys this has got to be hitting. Why would the central bank do this if it didn't have issues with the exchange rate?
3.5% to be exact. Now at 12% :oops:

Allegedly:

"
A verbal dispute between Kadyrovites and Dagestanis in the village of Mykhailivka (Zaporizhzhia oblast) broke out, while russian propagandists were filming a video with a high-ranking Kadyrovite commander. During the dispute, both sides of the conflict opened fire on each other with small arms. During the clash, one of the occupants sustained fatal injuries, which led to an open confrontation between the units using grenade launchers, grenades, and small arms. As a result of the fighting, which was successful for the Dagestanis, more than 20x occupants were reported killed and 40x wounded on both sides. The commander of the Kadyrovites’ unit was punished by being sent to the front lines. [My u.]
"

EDIT: Don't know how to just post a URL as a link instead of that giant F-book monstrocity... 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Right you are...rates are up 3% which is huge. @unk45 I know the major transactions don't move through the open FX counters but for little guys this has got to be hitting. Why would the central bank do this if it didn't have issues with the exchange rate?
Excellent question. My guess, not particularly well informed, is that there si severe pressure from the 'middle class technological' Russian exodus so they're trying tom make life even more difficult for them.
Were it not Russia all this would be obvious. With Russia one never really knows of obvious and normal actually are correct. It definitely means all is not well, just how bad is another question. OTOH, they're just managed new OEM wheel carriages on a B777 so the black market is still active.

Allegedly:

From a comment to that tweet that appears to offer a possible solution:

"...] Sanctions need to focus on specific, complex devices where there's a chance of controlling distribution. You're never going to control where simple devices made in huge volumes and used in consumer applications end up."

Allegedly:

"...] Sanctions need to focus on specific, complex devices where there's a chance of controlling distribution. You're never going to control where simple devices made in huge volumes and used in consumer applications end up."

My partner used to sell FPGAs, which are probably some of the most complex chips out there. One of her lines was Xilinx, which the Russians use in Orlan drones amongst other military hardware. The whole grey market problem was always a bugbear when she was trying to sell them into UK companies and it seems it hasn't changed much since she's been out of that market. Xilinx knows it's going on but won't cut off the supply chains.

Ukraine now using thermal imaging to identify mines. Should be useful to plan routes of lowest mine density then map out best areas to clear in advance of infantry movement.

Not sure if this tech can differentiate mines from shrapnel or other objects that have different heat capacities/gain potential compared to the surrounding landscape. Still, seems to be a useful tool here.

https://x.com/nexta_tv/status/1691531188245086209?s=46&t=jAgIffgC68qiSzAyPG4hEQ

Last edited:
Ukraine now using thermal imaging to identify mines. Should be useful to plan routes of lowest mine density then map out best areas to clear in advance of infantry movement.

Not sure if this tech can differentiate mines from shrapnel or other objects that have different heat capacities/gain potential compared to the surrounding landscape. Still, seems to be a useful tool here.

https://x.com/nexta_tv/status/1691531188245086209?s=46&t=jAgIffgC68qiSzAyPG4hEQ
Suspected mines that turn out to be rubble are less of a problem than plastic anti-personnel mines that cannot be detected this way. However, a quick web search turned up a couple of remote sensing approaches for mine detection, including AI-supported image recognition/ augmentation like Applying Deep Learning to Automate UAV-Based Detection of Scatterable Landmines.

Suspected mines that turn out to be rubble are less of a problem than plastic anti-personnel mines that cannot be detected this way. However, a quick web search turned up a couple of remote sensing approaches for mine detection, including AI-supported image recognition/ augmentation like Applying Deep Learning to Automate UAV-Based Detection of Scatterable Landmines.
AI, but underlying detectors they used were thermal as well in their paper:

…Our methodology is calibrated for the detection of scatterable plastic landmines which utilize a liquid explosive encapsulated in a polyethylene or plastic body in their design…
…Increased moisture content in soils and host geology after a rain event also increased the temperature differential between the plastic mines and the surrounding environment because water has a very high specific heat value of 4.186 J/g °C and is absorbed by the surrounding soils but not the mines [12]…
Figure 9 shows how effective RGB, green, red, red-edge, near infrared (NIR), thermal infrared, and normalized difference vegetation index (NDVI) are for identifying plastic landmines…
Clipped images of orthophotos from six different bandwidths (plus normalized difference vegetation index), showing the success in identifying the plastic PFM-1 landmine and the aluminum KSF casing from the surrounding environment in grass, low vegetation and snow datasets…

AI, but underlying detectors they used were thermal as well in their paper:

…Our methodology is calibrated for the detection of scatterable plastic landmines which utilize a liquid explosive encapsulated in a polyethylene or plastic body in their design…
…Increased moisture content in soils and host geology after a rain event also increased the temperature differential between the plastic mines and the surrounding environment because water has a very high specific heat value of 4.186 J/g °C and is absorbed by the surrounding soils but not the mines [12]…
Figure 9 shows how effective RGB, green, red, red-edge, near infrared (NIR), thermal infrared, and normalized difference vegetation index (NDVI) are for identifying plastic landmines…
Clipped images of orthophotos from six different bandwidths (plus normalized difference vegetation index), showing the success in identifying the plastic PFM-1 landmine and the aluminum KSF casing from the surrounding environment in grass, low vegetation and snow datasets…
Great info I hope Ukraine is all over this, clearing up mines will be a huge task over the next 10 years

historically the winter/summer was the campaign season. Winter is the absolute best for equipment, ground freezes and if cold enough the marsh/swamps freeze enough for light equipment. With climate change I'm just not sure that the winters are cold enough anymore.

Our forestry friends in the far north of the USA do 50% of their work in 3 months, drive tractor trailers across frozen fields like they were pavement. Big michigan forestry specials carrying 60 tons (same sort of weight a tank carrier might have) going right across swampy forest roads. Can't work in those areas anytime other than dead of winter.

Kherson will get interesting if they can expand the bridgehead but the current direction of the Robotyne salient does not seem like it supports a turn south but East/ NE. I would caution extreme patience.

I haven't seen it, but there is a reality TV show about the ice road truckers on American TV.

In 1943 the Soviets closed in on Crimea and got to both the Kerch Strait and the northern border by November. They dug in for the winter and didn't continue to push into Crimea until April 1944.

Apparently the ground conditions were still good enough to move until well into November.

The climate is warmer overall, but there are still record cold winters too. Just scanning some statistics Berlin has had three years with snowfall levels in the top 10 in totals since 1886 in the last 20 years. 2007 was 118.5 inches, 2017 was 127.6 inches, and 2019 was 117.7 inches. I would expect the data to be in cm, but it is what it is
Most Yearly Snow in Berlin History

In a quick search I couldn't find similar data for Kyiv, but I did find this
Glavred: Kyiv sets 100-year March snow record - Mar. 24, 2013

That's from 2013.

The counter offensive was always a long shot. What matters more than anything else is that Ukraine preserves it’s army. They only need to survive.
Russia has already lost this war strategically.

When the Ukrainians get to the Russians the Russians are usually routed fairly easily. The biggest problem is getting through all the mines. If all the mines in the country spontaneously exploded tomorrow the offensive would go much faster.

Wars always end when one side becomes unable or unwilling to continue. The Ukrainians are chipping away at the Russians equipment and ammunition stockpile, but that is very slow going. Russian equipment losses to date would have crippled most armies by now, but they have had so much old Soviet equipment in storage that they are able to limp along with 1950s equipment.

Between the Russian ruling class being behind the war and the public being pretty much apathetic, Russian will to continue is not great, but it's still there. The public are against the war when push comes to shove, but they have been trained by Putin to be politically helpless so they just sort of ignore the war.

Ukraine is slowly waking the Russian public up to the pointlessness of continuing and they do that with Russian losses. The more Ukraine succeeds the more likely it is that Russia's public will reach the breaking point where they start to speak up about ending the war. If Russia truly loses the will to continue, then the war will be over. Putin will too most likely which is why he's also working hard to keep a lid on public unrest.

A major reason the west has been slow rolling supplies to Ukraine is most western governments fear what will happen if unrest breaks out in Russia. There are several scenarios that could lead to a very messy civil war in which there are nuclear weapons around everywhere.

Allegedly:

Russia is using cheap, widely available parts for their weapons. I have seen no evidence that they are using anything which has a supply that can be easily controlled.

My partner used to sell FPGAs, which are probably some of the most complex chips out there. One of her lines was Xilinx, which the Russians use in Orlan drones amongst other military hardware. The whole grey market problem was always a bugbear when she was trying to sell them into UK companies and it seems it hasn't changed much since she's been out of that market. Xilinx knows it's going on but won't cut off the supply chains.

Even for Xilinx parts the secondary market is full of parts. I did a search on Ebay for Xilinx FPGAs and got over 1000 hits. Xilinx brand parts are surplus now that the parent company AMD has rebranded their parts. The mainstream supply chain for Xilinx parts is almost completely empty with AMD brand FPGAs replacing them.

I have thought one thing western intelligence services could do is identify a part that the Russians are using a lot of and make counterfeit parts marked as the parts the Russians want, then ensure they get into the Russian supply chain. All sorts of subtle things can be done to screw with weapons with counterfeit parts. Even if the Russians end up figuring out the ruse, they will have to spend a lot of time and effort screening for counterfeits and/or taking out the counterfeits and replacing them.

I haven't seen it, but there is a reality TV show about the ice road truckers on American TV.

In 1943 the Soviets closed in on Crimea and got to both the Kerch Strait and the northern border by November. They dug in for the winter and didn't continue to push into Crimea until April 1944.

Apparently the ground conditions were still good enough to move until well into November.

The climate is warmer overall, but there are still record cold winters too. Just scanning some statistics Berlin has had three years with snowfall levels in the top 10 in totals since 1886 in the last 20 years. 2007 was 118.5 inches, 2017 was 127.6 inches, and 2019 was 117.7 inches. I would expect the data to be in cm, but it is what it is
Most Yearly Snow in Berlin History

In a quick search I couldn't find similar data for Kyiv, but I did find this
Glavred: Kyiv sets 100-year March snow record - Mar. 24, 2013

That's from 2013.

When the Ukrainians get to the Russians the Russians are usually routed fairly easily. The biggest problem is getting through all the mines. If all the mines in the country spontaneously exploded tomorrow the offensive would go much faster.

Wars always end when one side becomes unable or unwilling to continue. The Ukrainians are chipping away at the Russians equipment and ammunition stockpile, but that is very slow going. Russian equipment losses to date would have crippled most armies by now, but they have had so much old Soviet equipment in storage that they are able to limp along with 1950s equipment.

Between the Russian ruling class being behind the war and the public being pretty much apathetic, Russian will to continue is not great, but it's still there. The public are against the war when push comes to shove, but they have been trained by Putin to be politically helpless so they just sort of ignore the war.

Ukraine is slowly waking the Russian public up to the pointlessness of continuing and they do that with Russian losses. The more Ukraine succeeds the more likely it is that Russia's public will reach the breaking point where they start to speak up about ending the war. If Russia truly loses the will to continue, then the war will be over. Putin will too most likely which is why he's also working hard to keep a lid on public unrest.

A major reason the west has been slow rolling supplies to Ukraine is most western governments fear what will happen if unrest breaks out in Russia. There are several scenarios that could lead to a very messy civil war in which there are nuclear weapons around everywhere.

Russia is using cheap, widely available parts for their weapons. I have seen no evidence that they are using anything which has a supply that can be easily controlled.

Even for Xilinx parts the secondary market is full of parts. I did a search on Ebay for Xilinx FPGAs and got over 1000 hits. Xilinx brand parts are surplus now that the parent company AMD has rebranded their parts. The mainstream supply chain for Xilinx parts is almost completely empty with AMD brand FPGAs replacing them.

I have thought one thing western intelligence services could do is identify a part that the Russians are using a lot of and make counterfeit parts marked as the parts the Russians want, then ensure they get into the Russian supply chain. All sorts of subtle things can be done to screw with weapons with counterfeit parts. Even if the Russians end up figuring out the ruse, they will have to spend a lot of time and effort screening for counterfeits and/or taking out the counterfeits and replacing them.
Why don't you suggest to the CIA, seriously.