Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD this year, or hold out for Performance in a year...

Wait to get Performance or get RWD this year?

• I will get RWD so I get it ASAP

Votes: 64 41.0%
  • I will wait and get AWD even if it means I might miss the full tax credit

Votes: 77 49.4%
  • I will give up the tax credit and splurge on a PXXD

Votes: 15 9.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One potential scenario I am debating now (If the urge for the PXXD is overwhelming) is getting a loaded RWD early (auto pilot will be a nice perk on my 35 mile one way commute in LA traffic) and then trading it in for the PXXD using the second reservation.

If, on the slim chance this is how it goes, how much depreciation do you think I will take a hit for? My initial thought is the 3 RWD will hold value pretty well due to the back log of orders also the 7500 credit will also ease the pain - I suppose I'll have to return the $2500 to the state though....

In the past Tesla has taken the $7500 Fed credit off of the trade value as the starting point, before calculating depreciation. Then tack on your CA tax ($3-4K) that you'll never see again.

Trading back to Tesla is going to probably be a pretty hard hit. Selling third party might give you a chance of breaking even.

I have been saving almost all of my disposable income since 2013 for this. I am committed to getting the PXXD ludicrous version unless the price is way outside of my estimates. Even if it means losing out on $3750 worth of the tax credit I will still do it. Been following Tesla since 2006 for this opportunity. I am fully invested in Elon's vision and have been sacrificing my gear head roots on economy minded cars for the last 10 years to minimize climate impact so I've been waiting a long time to get back into a performance car. I also am considering the impact this will have on the perception of my co-workers, family and friends on EVs. Tesla's sell more Tesla's!

I would be willing to forego the tax credit in order to get a performance model. In other words, timing of the tax credit isn't what's going to make my decision, and I definitely want a performance model.

That said, there's still a very good chance I'll just keep my P85. I have been to the hardware store and lumber yard a number of times in the last couple of weeks, and am remembering how much I like the ability to haul 8'-10' long pieces of lumber and 10' long segments of PVC. I could hitch a trailer to the X, but it's much easier to just take the S. I think the 3 will have really good cargo capacity, but I don't see it being quite as versatile as the S.

This just blows me away. Tesla is selling a sport UTILITY vehicle and owners that also have Model S are opting for the Model S when taking trips to the hardware store. Tesla needs to make getting the second row seats to fold down a top priority. I feel that is one of the main reasons preventing the Model X from outselling the Model S.

I am a non owner in CA reserved at around 10:10 at the store morning of the opening of reservations.....

I have 2 reservations (last minute decision while standing in line - in case a family member decided later they wanted one). One potential scenario I am debating now (If the urge for the PXXD is overwhelming) is getting a loaded RWD early (auto pilot will be a nice perk on my 35 mile one way commute in LA traffic) and then trading it in for the PXXD using the second reservation.

If, on the slim chance this is how it goes, how much depreciation do you think I will take a hit for? My initial thought is the 3 RWD will hold value pretty well due to the back log of orders also the 7500 credit will also ease the pain - I suppose I'll have to return the $2500 to the state though....

Funny this matches my experience almost exactly. I reserved at 10:03AM and made a last minute decision to reserve 2 cars for the same reason as you. If the Model 3 follows the Model S it should maintain its resale value fairly well compared to other cars in its class.

Just to clarify, I don't blame you McHoffa, this is Fred Lambert's fault for misinterpreting Elon's tweets
Tesla Model 3 will not be available with all-wheel-drive dual motors at launch, says Elon Musk
March 24th plus 6 - 9 months = still 2017
Elon Musk on Twitter
I know he misinterpreted, but I didn't. He told someone that if they waited in line, they MIGHT still be able to get AWD this year (maybe for CA in my opinion), but P will still be a while after that.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
I didn't vote since I think there is a decent chance that the poll presents a false choice re the tax credit.

On March 24, Elon said the "P" version would be out "probably a year from now," so roughly late March 2018. The AWD version should be available earlier.

It seems like there is a decent shot (although not certain) that the $7500 credit won't run out until June 30, 2018, with the $3750 tax credit available until December 31, 2018. So, many customers ordering the P version may qualify for the full tax credit, depending on how things roll out.

Personally, I am hoping to order a P version first but if the "P" timeline slips or full tax credit phases out sooner might start with an AWD instead (I hope to eventually order one P and one AWD).
luckily you're in California, so it's more certain for you... I'm on the east coast

AWD will be out in 2017 and P version in Q1/Q2 of 2018 meaning good chance we will all get the full credit. Threads like this post misinformation about the AWD and P timeline plus add confusion regarding the tax credit availability.
No misinformation. Look at his tweet I posted above. He said chances are good that someone that waited in line might get the AWD by December 31. If you didn't wait in line, I wouldn't count on it. If you are on east coast, like me, I'd say chances are low. If you're not in the US, or if you ordered after the reveal, I'd say forget getting AWD this year.

This just blows me away. Tesla is selling a sport UTILITY vehicle and owners that also have Model S are opting for the Model S when taking trips to the hardware store. Tesla needs to make getting the second row seats to fold down a top priority. I feel that is one of the main reasons preventing the Model X from outselling the Model S.
They do fold down in the 5 passenger version.

Reactions: McHoffa
I am a non owner in CA reserved at around 10:10 at the store morning of the opening of reservations.....

I have 2 reservations (last minute decision while standing in line - in case a family member decided later they wanted one). One potential scenario I am debating now (If the urge for the PXXD is overwhelming) is getting a loaded RWD early (auto pilot will be a nice perk on my 35 mile one way commute in LA traffic) and then trading it in for the PXXD using the second reservation.

Same boat. I was #20 in line at my store. Unfortunately they had an internet glitch that slowed orders. My order went through about 10:30am. I only reserved one then, but about 15-20 minutes before the reveal, I reserved another one.

So my first one I would put money I will get this year, and perhaps even earlier than I will be ready! It's very likely even my second one would come this year, if they were both RWD. If I push my first one out to a P, and then get my 2nd one as a RWD, then maybe I could time it right so that I get the 2nd one this year, November/December, and then get the P in May or June, which would potentially still get the full tax credit for next year.

No misinformation. Look at his tweet I posted above. He said chances are good that someone that waited in line might get the AWD by December 31. If you didn't wait in line, I wouldn't count on it. If you are on east coast, like me, I'd say chances are low. If you're not in the US, or if you ordered after the reveal, I'd say forget getting AWD this year.
The problem is the survey.... There's no choice for "I will get PXXD and get the full tax credit"

Reactions: EinSV
Similar to mtnbikr, reserved two early AM at the local Tesla store; I have 3 reserved total (two through my account, to be company cars, one through my wife's account ordered a few weeks later online). Probably will go with one as soon as possible regardless what options available. One AWD and many options whenever possible (needs to be under $60k). The wife is in no hurry, doesn't know (yet) what she wants so she'll decide what to do when the time comes and go with whatever delivery is determined.

I hope my solar panels can keep up with the demand. Have 6kW solar system at home & 200kW system should be running at work by mid-July. (yes, life is wonderful, I consider myself extremely lucky to be in this position)

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
In the past Tesla has taken the $7500 Fed credit off of the trade value as the starting point, before calculating depreciation. Then tack on your CA tax ($3-4K) that you'll never see again.

Trading back to Tesla is going to probably be a pretty hard hit. Selling third party might give you a chance of breaking even.

I was thinking third party was the only real option too and only if demand is still high...

I could stretch and replace both of our current cars if the loss is too much, but the volt is running fine and its 38 miles on electric will suffice for most of my wife's driving needs....

I usually run a car until its dead, this is the first time I am trading in a car (Subaru) that still is in decent condition.

I guess it will depend on how much I can stand to wait for a Tesla when the configurator opens - I just hope we can build a PXXD and see the estimated delivery time........

The problem is the survey.... There's no choice for "I will get PXXD and get the full tax credit"
Only if you're lucky! He said "about a year from now" at the end of March, so I would guess only a select few current owners in California will get it within Q1-Q2, and if they hit 200k deliveries in Q4 this year, Q2 won't even get full credit, so none of the P's would get $7500.

Only if you're lucky! He said "about a year from now" at the end of March, so I would guess only a select few current owners in California will get it within Q1-Q2, and if they hit 200k deliveries in Q4 this year, Q2 won't even get full credit, so none of the P's would get $7500.
It's extremely unlikely they will hit 200,000 in Q4 this year unless Model 3 ramp up has zero issues, and zero units go to Canada or Mexico.

Elon was saying the he feels like nearly all the early pre-orders will get the full credit.

I don't know, I guess it's probably most people putting down a deposit would be able to get the full tax credit.
- Q1 2017 earnings call

Last edited:
Reactions: EinSV