Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD this year, or hold out for Performance in a year...

Wait to get Performance or get RWD this year?

• I will get RWD so I get it ASAP

Votes: 64 41.0%
  • I will wait and get AWD even if it means I might miss the full tax credit

Votes: 77 49.4%
  • I will give up the tax credit and splurge on a PXXD

Votes: 15 9.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have early res you'll be able to drive this car for a year and i'm willing to bet........ resale will be maybe a few thousand less than you paid overall. They won't be able to keep up with demand for at least 18 months.

I am generally doubtful that this will be the case. I think the depreciation will be commensurate with similar vehicles. That's what we see with the rest of the Tesla lineup. Early VINs typically take a slightly bigger hit, but it's in the range of "normal."

I wouldn't buy a Model 3 with the hope that depreciation will be limited. That seems like a path to disappointment.

I am generally doubtful that this will be the case. I think the depreciation will be commensurate with similar vehicles. That's what we see with the rest of the Tesla lineup. Early VINs typically take a slightly bigger hit, but it's in the range of "normal."

I wouldn't buy a Model 3 with the hope that depreciation will be limited. That seems like a path to disappointment.

At least early adopters will get the federal tax incentive that will help offset the depreciation of the car.

Reactions: SageBrush
I'd like AWD but it is not a requirement. I'm guessing that it will cost $5k, and possibly part of the tax credit.
If it adds up to a $12.5k option, I'll skip
If it is a $5k option I'll grab it
If it is a $8.7k option, I'm not sure but I lean towards no since that is a big chunk of money towards the next generation.
At one point Elon tweeted that AWD would be less than it is on the model S and X. Of course he didn't say how much .... And, yes you could be right, depending on your reservation date and location waiting could cost you part of the tax credit.

Since this will be a daily driver and I already have a sports car, I probably won't need a PXXD. I'll get AWD if the production schedule allows me to get the full tax credit. If not, RWD is fine since I live in Los Angeles. Part of the reason for buying a new early 3 is the tax credit. Without the tax credit, I would rather wait at least a year for Tesla to work out any potential quality issues.

Reactions: 22522

understood
however i'll stand by what i posted. the demand will just be too high for the first 18 months that you'll have minimal depreciation on used units.
IMO

the MS never had this type of preorder #'s
i think Tesla had less than 50000 orders

understood
however i'll stand by what i posted. the demand will just be too high for the first 18 months that you'll have minimal depreciation on used units.
especially since the tax credit will be gone completely by the end of next year.... If I buy the car this year, I pay $35k, but I get $7500 back in February, effectively making it worth $27,500. But for someone that won't be able to get it until after the tax credit is gone, it's still worth $35k. With the S/X up to now, the value drops $7500 as soon as it's purchased because anyone else that wants one could just go buy new and get that credit.

especially since the tax credit will be gone completely by the end of next year.... If I buy the car this year, I pay $35k, but I get $7500 back in February, effectively making it worth $27,500. But for someone that won't be able to get it until after the tax credit is gone, it's still worth $35k. With the S/X up to now, the value drops $7500 as soon as it's purchased because anyone else that wants one could just go buy new and get that credit.
Assuming they don't hit 200,000 until Q1 2018, the credit of some value exists through Q2 2019.

Due to the demand it'll be worth more than $35000 for a while

Reactions: EinSV
It was estimated a year from March... 10 months from now :)
That's still too far away.

So...lets see.....

First produced Model 3 in July. That means the line is up and working.....all you have to do is now go faster - easy.

What will they be doing in October? November? I think they will be completing the design of the DUAL motor immediately after he production of the 1st Model 3. That won't take 10 months to produce.

That's still too far away.

So...lets see.....

First produced Model 3 in July. That means the line is up and working.....all you have to do is now go faster - easy.

What will they be doing in October? November? I think they will be completing the design of the DUAL motor immediately after he production of the 1st Model 3. That won't take 10 months to produce.
The design is done, it's a matter of added complexity and ordering the other parts, The time frame given for dual motors was sometime as early as Sept to as late as Dec. It all depends on unforeseen obstacles.

The time frame given for dual motors was sometime as early as Sept to as late as Dec. .
That's not what he said yesterday
6yYpmcX.png

• Funny
Reactions: cdub