Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S driver claims his parked car moved on its own and hit parked trailer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it's exactly as rock solid as I think. Again you, and others, are completely misrepresenting\misunderstanding my assertion. My point is that the car isn't going to run over someone, the sensor array will pick that up without fail and without question. I'll acknowledge that if you put a baby on the ground right in front of the car and initiated summon that I'd be wrong but we all know that's a ridiculous premise to begin with.

I'm not saying the ultra sonics will detect all objects, all the time, without fail. I would never make such a statement as there is plenty of evidence out there that I would be wrong the moment I staked my claim. I understand the systems limitations, I understand where the blind spots are, I'm not going to worry about fringe examples to base my perspective upon.

Jeff

Perhaps your point would be better understood if you toned it down a notch. No need to be defensive.

My point is that the car isn't going to run over someone, the sensor array will pick that up without fail and without question. I'll acknowledge that if you put a baby on the ground right in front of the car and initiated summon that I'd be wrong but we all know that's a ridiculous premise to begin with.

Exactly!
We all know that kids never trip and fall - especially if they are running around and maybe being distracted by seeing a car drive itself.
All humans are equipped with the at least the 2003 version 3.11 auto-gyroscoptic-self-righting system.
Kids.
Never.
Fall.

And it isn't as if people ever did things like put their kid strapped in a car seat on top of a car and drove away, so it is impossible that anyone would accidently put them in front or back of a car.

In the history of cars, no parent ever put their kid on the ground after unpacking the car.

Never.
Ever.
Happened.

I think it's probably worth noting that this particular AutoPark feature can be unintuitive for those who haven't carefully read the manual. If you double-tap the Park button then immediately get out of the car without touching anything, *by default* it will have activated AutoPark to pull the car forward (forward is the default direction of movement).

Of course, both LCD screens will have switched to the AutoPark UI and if you were paying attention to the dash and the car chiming, you would be clued into the fact that the car is going to autopark.

However, even I must admit, the first time I activated that UI was by accident, and my assumption was that the car was going to wait for me to tap forward or reverse, and if I did nothing, the car would cancel and not autopark.

IMO you should have to tap a big OK button or something on the screen before getting out. Don't get me wrong, I still think this is a good feature, but I think the UI could use a little tweaking too. Note that other folks on the forum have made similar mistakes in the past: Disable auto park on double tap

Chillaban, let's hope Tesla takes you up on your suggestion. There's no substantial extra effort added by following a parking button double-click with a touch of an "OK" button on the touchscreen, but this simple additional step should eliminate the type of situation that occurred here. It's just too easy to accidentally double-click the parking button, thinking you only pushed it once, and then step out of the car without looking at the touchscreen. Outside noise could cover up any tones generated by the car.

Tesla finds 'Summon' as cause of Utah man's Model S crash

Tesla has even said what I suspect and that is the driver hit the park button twice. I've done this a half dozen times to get out and find that my MS is moving forward. It hasn't hit anything of course but there have been a few concerning moments.

When I pick up my daughter at school, I stop and press the park button once and then a second time to extend the door handles. I then get out to go around to the other side of the car to help her get in and load her 40 lb scoliosis backpack. If she doesn't open the door soon enough while I'm coming to the other side, the car starts moving forward. It's how the feature is designed.

The only indication is the emergency flashers and of course the screen shows summon in activation mode, but if you're getting out quickly to help someone load stuff up after opening up the door handles with the second park press, you're in for a shock the first few times.

Exactly. I think this is very poorly designed. Even if you hit the park button twice, there should be a confirmation on screen to ACCEPT, not CANCEL the choice.

So where was the car thinking of going to "Summon" itself? Joyride? Picking up girlfriend at the next block? If it's a "Summon" feature, it should work only at a designated place (like in your home), and GPS should've indicated that the car wasn't anywhere near that.

Unfortunately someone has to get hurt by this accidental double-press, which is rather easy to do, before they will change the operation. Imagine if there's a baby in a stroller in front of the car and it starts moving because someone forgot to CANCEL the feature?

Last edited:
No, it's exactly as rock solid as I think. Again you, and others, are completely misrepresenting\misunderstanding my assertion. My point is that the car isn't going to run over someone, the sensor array will pick that up without fail and without question. I'll acknowledge that if you put a baby on the ground right in front of the car and initiated summon that I'd be wrong but we all know that's a ridiculous premise to begin with.

I'm not saying the ultra sonics will detect all objects, all the time, without fail. I would never make such a statement as there is plenty of evidence out there that I would be wrong the moment I staked my claim. I understand the systems limitations, I understand where the blind spots are, I'm not going to worry about fringe examples to base my perspective upon.

Jeff
So you're saying "the car isn't going to run over someone... without fail and without question". But then you acknowledge it wouldn't detect a baby, which is contradictory. How about a toddler that fell on the ground? Or even an adult laying on the ground? can the car detect that?

Here is my guess: the driver was twitchy, and probably activated the autopark on the gear stalk by pressing 3 times rather than one to just park.

Here is my reason for guessing he is twitchy: calling the news reporters was a very twitchy reaction. I think he has a twitchy personality.

Having said all that, using the park button to make the car go someplace is probably a bad idea, for just this reason. Tesla should put more buttons for this feature (perhaps on the big touchscreen), rather than have cryptic buttons on the steering wheel for those functions.

Now, back to the driver of the trailered car:
  • Why did he park so close to the trailer?
  • Why did he park the wrong way on the road? In many states, it's even illegal to park that way.
  • Doesn't he realize that the tractor for that trailer would need to pull in right there, and he was blocking it? Why would he do that?
Is this some sort of set up? Otherwise, why make those four errors simultaneously? Parking wrong and popping out of the car quickly to chat with someone rather than conscientiously park is very irresponsible driving. Cars are not toys. For instance, there is no serious safe car brand driven by good drivers that is named "Toy". So, they shouldn't be haphazardly parked like this driver did. I'm not saying Tesla can't do better for this -- I already said how they could improve this. Also, Tesla has poor high-up obstacle detection that needs improvement. But, in this case, I think it was more than the Tesla at fault.

Putting a function that's going to move the car when you get out on the park button is a mistake waiting to happen. The car should have chimed when he did that and the center screen should have changed to the park mode, which would have alerted most people something was wrong, but some people are oblivious. I agree that some other control would be a better choice for such a function.

Putting a function that's going to move the car when you get out on the park button is a mistake waiting to happen. The car should have chimed when he did that and the center screen should have changed to the park mode, which would have alerted most people something was wrong, but some people are oblivious. I agree that some other control would be a better choice for such a function.
The center screen did display a large Autopark pop-up, but it didn't require user interaction. Now with software update 2.18.77, just released, it does require interaction.

So you're saying "the car isn't going to run over someone... without fail and without question". But then you acknowledge it wouldn't detect a baby, which is contradictory. How about a toddler that fell on the ground? Or even an adult laying on the ground? can the car detect that?

Yeah I'm not going to keep defending my position on this. You are free to disagree as you wish but I stand by my assertion.

Jeff

I agree. The KEEP THE CAR STOPPED NO MATTER WHAT WHEN I LEAVE and MAKE THE CAR GO SOMEPLACE ON ITS OWN buttons should not be the same button, and GO SOMEPLACE ON YOUR OWN should have obvious feedback.

I like the mechanical parking brake foot pedal on other cars because it is obvious when it is on. These new "e-brake" features get me pissed off because I think they're not obvious when they're on, so I have to spend extra time verifying this. If anything, they should use a knob like on tractor-trailers. But it is up to the driver to know when their brake is on. For instance, no licensed Commercial Motor Vehicle driver should ever complain "I didn't know that pushing in the parking brake button would release the parking brakes" and get away with it. In a CMV, there's an obvious physical position that means parking brakes engaged. The best analog I can think of on the no-buttons Tesla is the screens. The driver dash should say "PARKING BRAKE ENGAGED" and/or "AUTOPARK ENGAGED", and they should be different colors (such as RED and YELLOW, respectively).

I just watched
with the new update, and I have a number of comments:

• Huge improvement by Tesla: now, the car will not automatically go start driving around once you've hit the button that parks the car (twice). I still see a potential for a toddler sitting in the passenger seat to hit a button like his dad did before, and the touch screen would take the command. I'm not sure when this would happen in any type of situation in which the driver would not realize the car was put into autopark mode (hazard lights on, green notice on the dash), except my accident scenario below, but in that case, probably the toddler wouldn't be feeling that comfortable, and themselves would be in accident mode.
  • Even back before this improvement, the car makes a special beep, the dash lights up GREEN as in "I'm about to go somplace!!!", the main screen shows that it is in an autopark mode, the flashing lights start lighting up everything with flashes, the flashing light relay makes a huge huge clicking noise, and someone would have to be EXTREMELY irresponsible to not be paying attention to that.
My last point coupled with the parking backwards where the trailer was mean that this driver with the trailer accident was super distracted and not paying attention to their car when they parked it, and prettymuch irresponsible.

And still, Tesla shouldn't overload a STOP button with a GO function. I can imagine an emergency scenario where this could happen: You are driving, then an accident happens, and you have to exit the vehicle very quickly. Perhaps even your Tesla was hit, which as you know, automatically starts the hazard lights. You are super nervous, get out after hitting the parking brake, to attend to some emergency element, such as oncoming traffic or someone who could be hit by oncoming traffic laying on the ground or whatever emergency element is there. Well, since you were nervous, you double-clicked autopark and the Tesla starts moving around, perhaps toward someone laying on the ground after an accident, or gets in the way of traffic, possibly causing more accidents, possibly other cars running over people on the ground. Not cool.

So, while I still blame the original driver of this accident, part of me says "thank god", because Tesla fixed this problem as a result; the original accident was a very peaceful accident. The car was unoccupied and the trailer was unoccupied and no innocent bystanders were hurt. And, I also blame Tesla for the accident, and I hope this kind of STOP button creates GO reaction never happens again.

Last edited: