Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the idea but the functions they enable are too limited and the buttons too ugly.

I would potentially pay for a button box or similar like you see on sim rigs. Give me back the handful of controls I’d like to be physical - and communicate either directly to the same OBD port or wirelessly to a simlar BT OBD port like the S3XY buttons do.

- wiper speed adjustment clicky dial - pops up confirmation on the screen ideally
- driver/passenger ac temp dials
- heated seat buttons for front
- Front/rear demist
- front/rear fog lights

Oh the irony of buying a car without knobs/buttons only to add them back after purchase. 😜

to be fair, the lack of buttons wasn’t the reason I bought the car so it wasn’t a choice I was given. I like the relative simplicity but it goes a little too far for me.

just add a twist to the existing wiper stalk to control speed (auto/I/II/III etc) like most other cars, small AC/heater/demist controls, and fog lights could be added to the stalk with a pull out or similar. For such little cost to add practicality seems reasonable to me.

They aren't the best looking but I do like some of the direct functions. Interior lights, rear seat heaters, glove box maybe and wipers if they had it would be for me the most useful. It's a function that does not work correctly at least in my MY.

Interested. I want these features:

HVAC controls:

1. Not entire HVAC fan, but the cold AC on off toggle. We are in an electric car… AC use bites into my battery on long trips harshly, so I like to turn it on and off every 10 minutes or so.

2. HVAC fan speeds in manual mode… instead of 10 speeds to choose from I want to toggle between just 4 speeds: really low, low, medium, high. Or having one button for fan up and another for fan down would be nice.

3. Front defrost. When I need it, I need it instantly due to humidity fogging up the glass. A safety thing.

4. Rear AC/fan/heat controls for back seat kids.

5. Windshield wipers toggle between max and off. Sometimes even in hard rain they are on slow. Other times after you squirt water to clean, they wipe for an extra 30 seconds when you want them off.
I wish you could program a button to do several things at once. One for hot days and once for cold days. Honestly, I don't know why Tesla doesn't incorporate this already.

Hot: A/C on, temp set to 75, fan set to 5, vents set to blowing on your face only.
Cold: A/C off, temp set to 68, fan set to 3, vents set to feet only.

I got a 6-pack of S3XY buttons today. On my August, 2021 built MYP, there's barely any room under the console cover for the dongle. I had to muscle the cables a bit and use some force to close up the cover. I think it'll be OK, but I am slightly concerned. There should be a big cavity in there but Tesla covered it up with a metal plate, so the entire dongle has to fit between the connector and the cover. Fun.

Anyway I decided to get it primarily to give rear seat occupants (mostly my kids) their own seat heater buttons, so I placed 3 directly above the rear vent. I used one for the glovebox and placed it on the back of the screen on the passenger side toward the bottom edge. One for the defogger/defroster placed on the back of the screen just behind the driver HVAC temp display. Finally one behind the steering wheel on the right side where typical paddle shifters would be and I assigned drive mode to it for now. I think in the warmer months I will probably move the rear seat buttons up front for something else. Hopefully they are as re-positionable as they claim.

Here's the rear seat heater setup:
IMG_0295.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Corndart and DrGriz
Does that mean these buttons now support the front defroster? That's great news! And do they control the rear seat heaters individually?

What about off-road mode? Can the buttons turn that on/off too?
It supports the front deforster/defogger and 3 individual positions of the back seat heaters. No off-road mode yet, but I imagine it's something they might be able to add later. You can download the app and it has a demo mode that shows what's currently supported.

Just got mine and installed. As another poster indicated, a little harder to install the dongle than in the video but not a hard process at all. I initially placed the buttons under the armrest by the latch as my hands/fingers usually rest there anyways and its fairly hidden but two fell off. Ended up putting them under the wireless charger area but they look butt ugly there. May move them to back of the tablet, hope I don't use up all the stickiness in the process. So far have it programmed to turn on/off driver heated seats at setting 3, heated steering wheel, windshield defrost/defog, and glovebox. Glovebox button is mounted under the tablet. Saving one button for wiper control as that is supposed to be coming in the next few weeks per Enhance (company that actually makes the buttons). So far, they work and love having quick access to buttons again without needing to take my eyes off the road to hunt. Even more, love that I don't need to pull out my phone anymore to activate my auto frunk. Its got a feature that allows you to open the frunk and chargeport by opening the door handle halfway. I actually originally got the buttons so I could put one in the garage to open the frunk not knowing that it allows you to do so with the door handle. Cool stuff. There's tons of 15% off coupons for Abstract Ocean to bring the 6 button setup to about $250 after tax. Totally worth it IMO.

I'd imagine you could take the buttons apart and put them in a (smaller) custom enclosure to consolidate and get rid of the somewhat gaudy AO ones. Bonus points by permanently flush mounting and incorporating into the car somewhere via a small resistor circuit tapped into the car 12v. Not impossible just more work.

Have had them a few days and running into some issues already - Ive had the buttons fall off from the rear of the tablet several times now. AO support suggested washing the back of it as its not really adhesive but "1000 nano suckers." Pretty cool tech but we'll see if it stays. The bigger issue seems to be 2 other things so far: 1) Ive set one of the buttons to steering wheel heater and it seems to stay on even after the car is parked and I exit/lock. I came back to the car after work, about 6 hours to a really toasty steering wheel which is nice but I also think i lost 2-3% charge too. Replicated when I got home. I though the defrost did the same too when I was washing my car. Possibly even seat warmers too. The other bigger issue though is programming the door handles. I have them set to open the auto-frunk when I half pull the left and right front door handles and the charge port when i pull the rear left handle halfway. Well, the other day, I pulled the right rear handle and it opened the frunk and today when I let my kids in the car, the same pull opened the charge port door. This is probably happened a total of 3-4 times in the few days I've had the unit installed so I don't think its a one off glitch. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
Have had them a few days and running into some issues already - Ive had the buttons fall off from the rear of the tablet several times now. AO support suggested washing the back of it as its not really adhesive but "1000 nano suckers." Pretty cool tech but we'll see if it stays. The bigger issue seems to be 2 other things so far: 1) Ive set one of the buttons to steering wheel heater and it seems to stay on even after the car is parked and I exit/lock. I came back to the car after work, about 6 hours to a really toasty steering wheel which is nice but I also think i lost 2-3% charge too. Replicated when I got home. I though the defrost did the same too when I was washing my car. Possibly even seat warmers too. The other bigger issue though is programming the door handles. I have them set to open the auto-frunk when I half pull the left and right front door handles and the charge port when i pull the rear left handle halfway. Well, the other day, I pulled the right rear handle and it opened the frunk and today when I let my kids in the car, the same pull opened the charge port door. This is probably happened a total of 3-4 times in the few days I've had the unit installed so I don't think its a one off glitch. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
I have a couple of buttons on the back of the screen and they have not fallen off yet. Temperatures have been in the 20-30s since I installed them and it’s starting to rise, so I’m looking out for them possibly falling off due to temperature change. What kind of temps are you getting now?

I don’t know if I have similar issue as your heated steering wheel, but I’m going to try to check it out. As for the frunk opening, I used the 4 second logic since I don’t think my car can sense the half pull on the handle and no accidental openings so far.

I have a couple of buttons on the back of the screen and they have not fallen off yet. Temperatures have been in the 20-30s since I installed them and it’s starting to rise, so I’m looking out for them possibly falling off due to temperature change. What kind of temps are you getting now?

I don’t know if I have similar issue as your heated steering wheel, but I’m going to try to check it out. As for the frunk opening, I used the 4 second logic since I don’t think my car can sense the half pull on the handle and no accidental openings so far.
yeah, it hasn't been too hot here, maybe 50s, low 60s? I tried v1, v2 and v3 and for sure it was doing this on v1 and v3 logic. Would love to hear back if the steering wheel heater is doing the same for you.

yeah, it hasn't been too hot here, maybe 50s, low 60s? I tried v1, v2 and v3 and for sure it was doing this on v1 and v3 logic. Would love to hear back if the steering wheel heater is doing the same for you.
I haven't tried the heated steering wheel, but I turned on the rear seat heaters with the S3XY buttons then exited the car. What I observed is that the heaters (or at least the buttons, since they flash heat-level indication when on) stay on until the car enters deep sleep, which I think took somewhere between half an hour to an hour. When the car is in deep sleep the buttons stopped flashing. I checked the seats and they were cool. When your heated steering wheel is on while you're at work, was your sentry mode also on? Maybe that kept the button function active?

I haven't tried the heated steering wheel, but I turned on the rear seat heaters with the S3XY buttons then exited the car. What I observed is that the heaters (or at least the buttons, since they flash heat-level indication when on) stay on until the car enters deep sleep, which I think took somewhere between half an hour to an hour. When the car is in deep sleep the buttons stopped flashing. I checked the seats and they were cool. When your heated steering wheel is on while you're at work, was your sentry mode also on? Maybe that kept the button function active?
Yes, this. I'd be amazed if the heated wheel took up 2 - 3% charge over that time period.