Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have found a bug with the commander with my 2021 MYLR.
When I save the door handle setting to half press , it always go back to long pull after the car power off, I tried rebooting the commander and it goes back to Long Pull right after the reboot.

Haven’t tried factory reset yet.

I have found a bug with the commander with my 2021 MYLR.
When I save the door handle setting to half press , it always go back to long pull after the car power off, I tried rebooting the commander and it goes back to Long Pull right after the reboot.

Haven’t tried factory reset yet.
Did you confirm that the half press worked on your car? My August, 2021 built MYP doesn't have the half press so I can only use the long pull function.

Yeah half press works, just have to release it in time.

But now I can’t use it because every time the car powered down it goes to Long Pull lol
This was discussed last year, and then it was said that it does not work for newer models. This was the question and answer from @dimitar.ns then:

my M3LR was produced this February so the software is recommending I use v3 (hold the handle for 4 seconds.... which does work), but is there any chance of enabling these features using the half press?
For your car you can use only v3 logic (long pull). Unfortunately, Tesla decided to optimize costs in 2021 by removing the angle position sensor in the door handles because they were not using it for a specific feature in the car anyway. Newer models have only On/Off detection and because of this the Commander doesn't have the needed information to detect the Half Press and execute its algorithm for the Frunk/CP opening.
As a compromise we decided to release the v3 Logic which could be detected with the newer models if you hold the handle for more than 4 seconds....the problem of course is that the door is also opened in the process but we cannot prevent that. If somebody has a different suggestion let us know, we could implement another option too :)

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: KennethS and BitJam
Any idea why isn’t there a way to use the buttons to toggle on/off the main climate “Auto”?
Seems like an obvious thing to include, so I’m guessing it’s just not possible to implement due to how the Commander communicates with the vehicle. Again, too bad. (But if it is possible, it should be added at the earliest opportunity.)

Bump.

@dimitar.ns, can you shed any light onto whether a “climate auto” feature could be done with the S3XY buttons, or if it’s just not possible?

Thanks.

Count me as a S3XY fan. They produce an innovative and helpful product to me, they listen to customer input and continue to improve their product, and most importantly, their customer support is very responsive and helpful. These are key factors that make a company great.

I am simply a customer reporting my experience--I have no business nor financial interest in Enhance Auto.

Yup. Very frustrating for a new product whose main function is to stick to something doesent stick. Seem to have decent festures but if your buttons cant stay where and how the average person puts them… then its a bad first impression.
Mine kept falling when new. Did the alcohol bit but didnt do anything. Company not super helpful. I now have to look for stickers for a 400 product ? They should have sent me new buttons. I personally would not recommend this product or at least buyer beware. If you are average Joe and want a product working out of the box and not have to modify or go to home depot…. Dont waste money here. You wont need the features as most are easy to get to. On your awesome Tesla
Its a piece of plastic and some tape. If you cannot figure out how to get something to stick to a hard surface then im not sure what to tell you. I understand many Tesla people are not car enthusiasts, but posts like this really show how whiney and entitled some owners truly are.

I think you are trying to get free buttons from them, but thats just my opinion.

I have had no issues with any of the buttons sticking--back of the display, in the well of the center console, and other places. None has fallen off so far with regular use.

I also use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F5IKRA

I stick the "hook" part directly onto the switch (with the paper peels off). This way, I can put the switch on carpeted surfaces. For example, I have a switch under the driver side door arm rest. I use it to open frunk and charge door.

In fact, I started using them on non carpeted surfaces so that removal and reinstallation is easier. They fit well but leave a bit of sticky area on the switch itself exposed, but I have not found this to be a problem. Tip: When removing a switch, hold and support the Velcro when pulling. This ensures that the Velcro does not lift. At $4 for all the switches, it's a no brainer.

@dimitar.ns any chance of having a button turn the headlights on and off? Bonus points if you can turn the headlights off automatically when the car goes into park. There are several threads by people who want to keep their headlights on for better visibility while they drive. This feature alone would make the buttons worthwhile to me.
Would love to be able to Turn off DRL.

What are others doing to hide their OBD Port/Commander? My 23 MYLR, the cable really isn't long enough to tuck between the passenger seat and center console - so it's just kind of dangling there.. I was tempted to 3D DualLock it to the panel that you pop off under the HVAC - but I didn't want blinking lights, and it's kind of ugly.. There wasn't enough slack on the cable, to tuck it up and out of the way - under the panel.

What are others doing to hide their OBD Port/Commander? My 23 MYLR, the cable really isn't long enough to tuck between the passenger seat and center console - so it's just kind of dangling there.. I was tempted to 3D DualLock it to the panel that you pop off under the HVAC - but I didn't want blinking lights, and it's kind of ugly.. There wasn't enough slack on the cable, to tuck it up and out of the way - under the panel.

I asked Enhance about an extension, they said that they will be releasing one soon. Alternatively, I would think a generic 1:1 OBD2 extension would allow you to relocate it as you wish. I managed to tuck my behind the cover toward the right side. The left clip holds, but the right clip does not. I have a storage right behind the console, so it keeps pressure on the cover and it's totally unnoticeable. Works for me for now.

I did not want the Commander anywhere near the seats because it can shift, interfere with the seat movement, get pulled or caught, etc. I also did not want to leave any part of the cable or connector under strain.

Would love to be able to Turn off DRL.

I used velcro tape strips and have it stuck on the outside of the cover in our Model Y. It is visible but stays out of harms way and is not that noticeable. I understand this may not be ideal for some.

This was discussed last year, and then it was said that it does not work for newer models. This was the question and answer from @dimitar.ns then:

For your car you can use only v3 logic (long pull). Unfortunately, Tesla decided to optimize costs in 2021 by removing the angle position sensor in the door handles because they were not using it for a specific feature in the car anyway. Newer models have only On/Off detection and because of this the Commander doesn't have the needed information to detect the Half Press and execute its algorithm for the Frunk/CP opening.
As a compromise we decided to release the v3 Logic which could be detected with the newer models if you hold the handle for more than 4 seconds....the problem of course is that the door is also opened in the process but we cannot prevent that. If somebody has a different suggestion let us know, we could implement another option too :)
Not software related but maybe a different cover or solution for new model y’s to hide the commander in the back?

Do you guys remove the commander for warranty or service visits?

Reactions: Chewy13
Do you guys remove the commander for warranty or service visits?
I took the car to the SC for a routine brake inspection and lube last year and did not remove the commander for that visit. However, tomorrow my car is going to the SC for suspension repairs and I plan to remove the commander. It's more so that the buttons doesn't get accidentally pressed and activate something while the car is there since I anticipate that it would be there for a while.

Reactions: gaabbee and Chewy13
I took the car to the SC for a routine brake inspection and lube last year and did not remove the commander for that visit. However, tomorrow my car is going to the SC for suspension repairs and I plan to remove the commander. It's more so that the buttons doesn't get accidentally pressed and activate something while the car is there since I anticipate that it would be there for a while.
I guess to further elaborate on the question, are folks just yanking the commander, or also unclipping the rear trim, and removing the OBDII Harness?

I asked Enhance about an extension, they said that they will be releasing one soon. Alternatively, I would think a generic 1:1 OBD2 extension would allow you to relocate it as you wish. I managed to tuck my behind the cover toward the right side. The left clip holds, but the right clip does not. I have a storage right behind the console, so it keeps pressure on the cover and it's totally unnoticeable. Works for me for now.

I did not want the Commander anywhere near the seats because it can shift, interfere with the seat movement, get pulled or caught, etc. I also did not want to leave any part of the cable or connector under strain.
I have one of these in the back and the commander hides nicely behind it.
1686806751237.png

Does the S3XY buttons allow temp control or just fan speed? I was looking at the button function and see only fan speed but no temp adjustment control. I would think users would want both options. Is this still the case or has it been updated?

The website that lists all functions does not list temperature indeed.

My opinion: the buttons are most useful for commands that you cannot even do in the UI, or for commands that are deep within some menus. Temperature is right there on the main screen permanently so I think it's less important to have that on the buttons.