Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s an interesting observation:

Tonight my 5-year-old Model 3 for the first time displayed a warning message about needing to service the 12V battery and that the “electrical system is unable to support all features”. But it was still able to drive.

But I noticed during my drive that none of the S3XY buttons or commander features (like disabling auto-brights when using autopilot) worked.

I guess I just found this interesting. That is all.

I wonder if it would be possible to disable the PWS "UFO Sound" while reverse is selected in a future update.

That's the only thing I'd like to have a toggle setting for, to disable it when reversing out of the driveway early in the morning so that I don't disturb the neighbours.

I don't think the NHTSA regulations allow that. Sound when reversing is required.

I wonder if it would be possible to disable the PWS "UFO Sound" while reverse is selected in a future update.

Although I do not know if any of S3XY's existing features already qualifies as bypassing NHTSA regs, I asked this question before and it is currently not technologically possible. The PWS sound is not controllable via the CAN bus.

• Informative
Reactions: David99 and GtiMart
Since it's an analogue output, that's probably the reason for not being able to control it.

That is not likely the reason. The headlights are ultimately analog, so are the wipers, yet S3XY can control them. S3XY is not controlling the endpoint device. Rather, they are interacting with the CAN signals. I believe that S3XY cannot control the PWS because there is no such function to turn off the PWS.

Reactions: drdumont
That is not likely the reason. The headlights are ultimately analog, so are the wipers, yet S3XY can control them. S3XY is not controlling the endpoint device. Rather, they are interacting with the CAN signals. I believe that S3XY cannot control the PWS because there is no such function to turn off the PWS.
No, wipers and the headlights are controlled via CANBUS. They're digitally controlled. The headlights for example only have three wires going to them (+power, ground, and CANBUS control).

The PWS speaker is analogue in the sense that the thing driving it (the MCU) is outputting an amplified audio signal.

I discovered a really cool feature. One of the reasons I got the buttons was to make it easy for me to turn the headlights on. In my 1988 Volvo wagon I could set it to have the headlights on all the time I was driving which was just great. Well the S3XY Buttons can do the same thing. If you use a button to turn the headlights on, it remembers! It will automatically turn them off before I leave the car thus avoiding the awful Tesla nag. And it will turn them on again when I start the car by pressing the brake pedal. Perfect!

I discovered a really cool feature. One of the reasons I got the buttons was to make it easy for me to turn the headlights on. In my 1988 Volvo wagon I could set it to have the headlights on all the time I was driving which was just great. Well the S3XY Buttons can do the same thing. If you use a button to turn the headlights on, it remembers! It will automatically turn them off before I leave the car thus avoiding the awful Tesla nag. And it will turn them on again when I start the car by pressing the brake pedal. Perfect!
I would like to have the tail lights on as well, is that possible? I asked them once some time ago and they replied it would be maybe an option which you would have to pay for

I would like to have the tail lights on as well, is that possible? I asked them once some time ago and they replied it would be maybe an option which you would have to pay for
AFAIK, the tail lights always go on when the headlights are on. In addition, turning on the headlights is the only way to turn on the tail lights. Fog lights and daytime running lights do not activate the tail lights.

Reactions: Menabe
Which function do you connect to the button? "Low beam"?

That's the only thing I'd like to have a toggle setting for, to disable it when reversing out of the driveway early in the morning so that I don't disturb the neighbours.
You would have to do it with a simple external interface. The speaker is behind the right front tire, you can access it without removing the tire if you are clever. A simple relay with a logic circuit would do it. Easy enough to run a wire into the cab. If you are not handy about suc things, any car audio place could do it. It is just a couple of wires leading to a small speaker.

Reactions: David99
Is the new S3XY Knob compatible with the old Commander? If so, is it possible to get the Knob without the Commander for a lower price? If not, will you be offering any kind of trade-in for the older Buttons/Commander?

The Knob requires Gen 2 Commander, which, as far as I know, is not yet released. The Gen 2 Commander is backwards compatible with the Buttons. You would get the Knob with Gen 2 and replace your Gen 1. I read all this somewhere, just don't recall where at the moment.

AFAIK, the tail lights always go on when the headlights are on. In addition, turning on the headlights is the only way to turn on the tail lights. Fog lights and daytime running lights do not activate the tail lights.
aha, yes you are right, then this would be perfect indeed. I want to have on headlights and taillights anytime I drive and with your suggestion this would be very easy. Will try later, thanks

Just tested it and works like a charm, thank you very much. The lights just go off automatically after parking the car (like they always did but after some update somewhere in time this had stopped and the lights would stay on even all night). This was almost exactly what I was looking for. (What I really want is that head and tail lights go on whenever driving the car, Scandinavian DRL they call it I think, but this is good enough for my likings)

Reactions: BitJam
This was almost exactly what I was looking for. (What I really want is that head and tail lights go on whenever driving the car, Scandinavian DRL they call it I think, but this is good enough for my likings)
Same here. My old 1988 Volvo wagon did this and I wanted my Tesla to do it too. BTW Teslas do have daytime running lights (DRL) but they don't turn the taillights on.

I am very impressed by the thought and care that went into engineering the S3XY Button. They weren't looking for the least they could get away with. They tried to do the most they could within the hardware constraints. Bravo!

Reactions: Menabe
I am very impressed by the thought and care that went into engineering the S3XY Button. They weren't looking for the least they could get away with. They tried to do the most they could within the hardware constraints. Bravo!
I agree and have installed them in both of our Tesla. The S3XY Knob looks like a good evolution and I have pre-ordered one for the Y.