Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sacramento to the Bay Area and back - 70D or 90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On our Model S, I mount the FasTrack on the right of the rearview mirror, on the Model X, we have it mounted under the mirror, but doing some testing on the Model X, pretty much any place I held the transceiver worked.
I talked to a TMC person at a meetup (think it was @Fanatic1) who had his FasTrack transponder stuck to the bottom of the parcel shelf. Apparently it can be read just fine through the rear liftgate window, and it was out of sight -- no ugly box stuck to the windshield or rearview mirror.

I talked to a TMC person at a meetup (think it was @Fanatic1) who had his FasTrack transponder stuck to the bottom of the parcel shelf. Apparently it can be read just fine through the rear liftgate window, and it was out of sight -- no ugly box stuck to the windshield or rearview mirror.

Good to know--the problem for me is that there are places where I don't want the transceiver picked up because I don't want want to be charged unnecessarily - for example 680S past the Sunol grade, where my stickers are enough to use the HOV lane.

Good to know--the problem for me is that there are places where I don't want the transceiver picked up because I don't want want to be charged unnecessarily - for example 680S past the Sunol grade, where my stickers are enough to use the HOV lane.
I assume this means you have an older Fastrak tag and not the new flex one ? My understanding was that flex tag in setting 3 would suffice to avoid being charged in such cases.

I assume this means you have an older Fastrak tag and not the new flex one ? My understanding was that flex tag in setting 3 would suffice to avoid being charged in such cases.

No, I have the new Flex tags.

As explained to me by the FasTrack customer service folks, some roads, like the 680S Express Lane, cannot read different switch settings of the new tags, they just register a tag read. So, if I use the Express Lane on 680S, the Express Lane cannot tell the different between me (who should be charged nothing) and a single driver willing to pay the toll to save time. They told me to keep the tag in my mylar bag and my HOV stickers will keep me in CHP's good graces.

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D

As explained to me by the FasTrack customer service folks, some roads, like the 680S Express Lane, cannot read different switch settings of the new tags, they just register a tag read. So, if I use the Express Lane on 680S, the Express Lane cannot tell the different between me (who should be charged nothing) and a single driver willing to pay the toll to save time. They told me to keep the tag in my mylar bag and my HOV stickers will keep me in CHP's good graces.
I thought this are was the exact reason they bought those craze switches for? WTF

So you have to keep your Fastrak in a wireless blocking device even though you have decals and a switch device? You have got to love it.

I thought this are was the exact reason they bought those craze switches for? WTF

So you have to keep your Fastrak in a wireless blocking device even though you have decals and a switch device? You have got to love it.

The older roads have not been upgraded with the new receivers that can tell between the different with positions on the new Flex tags, they can only tell tag/no-tag, so they are not smart enough to not ding me for the toll if they register a hit.

The older roads have not been upgraded with the new receivers that can tell between the different with positions on the new Flex tags, they can only tell tag/no-tag, so they are not smart enough to not ding me for the toll if they register a hit.
Thanks! That's some craziness . Did you find out the hard way upon being dinged and having to follow up with them ? Thanks for helping us out with your knowledge of this!

Has this changed recently on 680S ? The express lanes past Sunol seem to have new gantries up and flex pricing messages a little further along. Do you still have to block your Fastrak from registering down that section now ?

From Express Lanes : Alameda CTC

A FasTrak toll tag is required for ALL I-580 Express Lane users, and in order to travel toll free on the I-580 Express Lane, carpoolers need to have a FasTrak Flex toll tag set to 2 or 3+. Get a toll tag today. The I-680 Southbound express lane requires a FasTrak toll tag for solo drivers. Carpoolers on I-680 currently do not need a toll tag, but can use the new FasTrak Flex toll tag set to 2 or 3+, or place their standard toll tag in a mylar bag to avoid being charged a toll.

I recommend 90d. Sucks to depend on superchargers for a commute because I guarantee there will be times you'll have to wait in line, even if only 5-10 mins, plus time to get off and back on freeway...don't you just want to be home already at end of the day?

I've done it several times in my 75D now. I only charge to 90%, which gives me 234 rated miles . I can squeak home with an hour or two topping up at one of the L2 chargers at work. Sometimes I stop at one of the SCs on the way - Vacaville, Fremont or Dublin . Never tried Manteca yet. Never had to wait at any of these so far. Having said that, I'll probably have to wait next time...

Has this changed recently on 680S ? The express lanes past Sunol seem to have new gantries up and flex pricing messages a little further along. Do you still have to block your Fastrak from registering down that section now ?

Just did this this morning - so no, while this stretch of road uses the demand-based pricing, it is not using the Flex passes so you still need to put the transponder in the baggie so you do not get dinged. I would assume this will get updated to the new transponder eventually, since it makes HOV enforcement easier. They are supposed to start on a northbound HOV lane soon, so perhaps they will do the updates all at one time.

Found my own thread on a Google search so I might as well update it. :) Ended up going with a 70 RWD. My notes based on travel for anyone who might be interested in the future, starting from downtown Sacramento:
  • Sac to Oakland Coliseum: in traffic both ways uses right at 80% round trip. Easy.
  • Sac to Palo Alto: You can make it back to the Vacaville chargers if you start at 100% and drive patiently... barely. Last time I made it with 3 miles to go.
  • Sac to Santa Rosa: Vacaville is no problem but Sac is pushing it unless you charge to 100% first.
  • Sac to Santa Cruz: Stop in Fremont or Gilroy on the way home, not making it to Vacaville no matter what.
Mostly I've discovered that it really doesn't matter because it's easy to find a place in the bay area with charging stations, so I've got a full charge when I get back to the car anyway. (Santa Cruz is a little tougher though.)

I agree. I can do a roundtrip from Sac to Sunnyvale with a 100% charge on my 75D . I usually leave it plugged in for an hour or two at work, though. It gives me the additional buffer that enables me to keep up with the left lane traffic speed all the way too.

Vacaville is located in a great place to grab a few electrons as buffer, if one is running on fumes on the return to Sac. Ditto for Manteca if you take the 580->5/99 option. I've only used them once each, both times when I didn't have time to charge at work.

The only charger I've had trouble with is Dublin, which seems perennially backed up with presumably local owners charging, with a 6 car queue even in the pouring rain mid afternoon once. I pretty much pretend it doesn't exist, but maybe it's improved lately ?

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D