Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SAE vs CHAdeMO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't honestly read all of his post on the subject but as far as I can tell his only argument for it is that there are more CHaDeMO then Frankenplug. I may have missed the meat of his argument, but that was my take away.
See SAE vs CHAdeMO - Page 38 and the seriousness of the DC fast charging efforts in the US of the Frankenplug players: SAE vs CHAdeMO - Page 30.

- - - Updated - - -

From an earlier thread Tony listed this: 2) EVoasis - CTO [ EVoasis: Electric Vehicle Rapid-Charging About: Our Technology Evoasis uses Fuji Electric 25 Kw DC Quick-Charging equipment ...]

Not sure if this is the Fuji but that is what showed up with a quick google search: http://www.americas.fujielectric.co.... 25kW DC Quick Charger (FRCA25C) 3-29-13.pdf
My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - EV Oasis DC Charging Network
My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - EV Oasis DC Charging Network

@VolkerP: I question whether there needs to be a single solution. In the US, we haven't agreed on a single cellphone signal standard. Some automobiles use gasoline, others diesel. In a world where 80% of new cars are electric, there will be lots of charging locations, so I can imagine a world where (like gas/diesel) you have to find a charger that works with your car. It may be that most EVs have multiple ports, which would further step around the issue.

@Robert: Sure thing. My quad band cell phone just roams into the network that works best. I find diesel and gasoline pumps co-located at every gas station over here. There is no disadvantage or fear of lacking future support when choosing gasoline or diesel car, or cell phone.

But we are not in the same situation today WRT fast DC charging. Most countries have big gaps in their map of fast DC charge stations.

This standard war is a distraction, it hinders roll out of EV infrastructure, and it impedes EV buying decisions. I understand some people think it was started deliberately to accomplish exactly this.

But instead of seeing and naming this, we go in circles debating which standard "is better" or should be endorsed/supported/subsidized/younameit. :cursing:

@Robert: Sure thing. My quad band cell phone just roams into the network that works best. I find diesel and gasoline pumps co-located at every gas station over here. There is no disadvantage or fear of lacking future support when choosing gasoline or diesel car, or cell phone. But we are not in the same situation today WRT fast DC charging. Most countries have big gaps in their map of fast DC charge stations.
Since various suppliers have chargers that do they dual or triple fast charging options it does not seem like we should care about chademo vs CCS combo. If you buy a BMW or a LEAF you can charge there. I don't get why this is still an argument between chademo and CCS combo. Seems like a waste of energy.

It actually seems like the issue is (chademo + CCS combo) vs Tesla. You cannot go to either of their respective chargers to charge. That is what the public sees (to wit "impedes EV buying decision"). The selling point of the Tesla, tho, is that the range is long enough that for normal driving you do not need to use a public charger anyway.

Last edited:
So, the same argument could be made of Tesla, since they are and will be the only company installing Supercharger. Nobody is pumping up CHAdeMO; it has plenty of its own failings. But, the facts are pretty obvious for those who do the most casual search.

If you think GM and Ford are going to build a competing quick charge network to Supercharger, I have swamp land to sell you. Sure, they could also start selling ice cream instead of cars to compete with Baskin Robbins.

That is exactly my point. You seem to indicate CCS can never possible catch on since CHAdeMO has such a large lead but Tesla is perfect example of why that isn't the case. They have built out a better network for travel than Nissan.

You are really saying Nissan isn't behind CHAdeMO adoption worldwide? Ok.

This standard war is a distraction, it hinders roll out of EV infrastructure, and it impedes EV buying decisions. I understand some people think it was started deliberately to accomplish exactly this.
Exactly. For example - how much more appealing do you think the SparkEV, FocusEV, Fiat500e and FitEV would be if they all supported CHAdeMO? I can tell you right now (as someone who is advising another who is in the market for one of those EVs or similar) that the LEAF is more appealing than those vehicles because of it's CHAdeMO plug and the numerous CHAdeMO stations here in California. The other main contender is the SparkEV, but the lack of CHAdeMO and the questions surrounding SAE combo rollout introduces uncertainty (for sure only 3.3 kW L2 charging doesn't help, either!).

Since various suppliers have chargers that do they dual or triple fast charging options it does not seem like we should care about chademo vs CCS combo. If you buy a BMW or a LEAF you can charge there. I don't get why this is still an argument between chademo and CCS combo. Seems like a waste of energy.
The cost is not nominal for a station to support multiple standards. DCQC plugs and cables are not cheap and neither is the engineering that goes into the charger to accommodate both. Expensive hardware presents a major impediment to QC station rollouts, that is why there are so many more J1772 stations available in comparison - every single plug-in supports J1772.

While Nissan may be pushing CHAdeMO behind the scenes, it is not Nissan directly funding CHAdeMO stations worldwide. It is government funding that has helped to get most CHAdeMO stations installed (outside of Japan and Nissan dealerships, anyway).

Tesla on the other hand is directly funding the installation and maintenance of 24/7 accessible Tesla SuperChargers.

No other manufacturer is doing the same thing and no other manufacturer has indicated a similar willingness to do so. Nissan has gotten the closest, but in the USA at least the costs are still being largely borne by the dealerships or guests and Nissan is only providing assistance in terms of consulting (how to situate/install stations) and providing discounts on CHAdeMO hardware.

While Nissan may be pushing CHAdeMO behind the scenes, it is not Nissan directly funding CHAdeMO stations worldwide. It is government funding that has helped to get most CHAdeMO stations installed (outside of Japan and Nissan dealerships, anyway).

Tesla on the other hand is directly funding the installation and maintenance of 24/7 accessible Tesla SuperChargers.

No other manufacturer is doing the same thing and no other manufacturer has indicated a similar willingness to do so. Nissan has gotten the closest, but in the USA at least the costs are still being largely borne by the dealerships or guests and Nissan is only providing assistance in terms of consulting (how to situate/install stations) and providing discounts on CHAdeMO hardware.

I wish there was one good standard as well. If CCS ever catches on I'd imagine it would follow the same route. Ford, GM, BMW dealers would do initial installs.

Last edited:
What matters is battery size and recharge rate.

Chademo is living on borrowed time until and unless someone puts out an EV with a 200+ mile range that can fast-charge with Chademo at rates comparable to supercharging. And people buy it :).

The range on a LEAF is so short that if you're driving on the highway, you have to charge it every hour. Even if you dot the countryside with Chademo chargers, no one in their right mind would take the LEAF out on long trips.

The flip side of that is that if you have a car that has a battery like the S, you don't need to dot the countryside with chargers. You can put down a few hundred for long-distance trips and you've got critical mass. Add more as you sell more cars and you're good.

Chademo is currently (ar ar) limited to ~50-60KW charging rates. That's a huge problem. I think you need ~100 KW rates to be viable. SAE CCS can do this. Chademo could do this in theory but hasn't yet. So while Chademo may work ok for Japanese driving patterns for most of the rest of the world, it's not practical for long-distance trips. Even the S with superchargers is barely practical. The S needs a 400+ mile battery to be truly practical.

My prediction: if the SAE car makers get their act together and put out a 200+ mile range EV with a few hundred SAE 100KW CCS charging stations relatively soon, Chademo will fade away except in Japan and a few other densely populated areas.

But if the SAE backers take too long and the Chademo backers get serious about EV's and deliver big batteries and faster charging technology, we could have 3 "supercharging" networks - Tesla, SAE CCS and Chademo. And that would work.

There aren't any non-compliance cars planned that use them.
The i3 is a pretty significant non-compliance car (and by non-compliance I mean it's not solely being built for compliance, but is planned for national launch).

- - - Updated - - -

Since various suppliers have chargers that do they dual or triple fast charging options it does not seem like we should care about chademo vs CCS combo.
Despite being in the "CCS camp" I support dual chargers too. All I care is the cars being able to charge on CCS, doesn't matter if there's another connector on the station (in Europe there's also an AC connector too). I think Tony's view is it's a waste of money and he would rather see CCS die off (which doesn't look likely to happen) and have all cars forced to use CHAdeMO.

- - - Updated - - -

The cost is not nominal for a station to support multiple standards.
Relative to the cost of installing the whole charger, it IS nominal. I remember it maxes out at a couple thousand (it was mentioned somewhere in this thread, but too lazy to dig), but installing a charger costs tens of thousands, so it's only a fraction of the cost. Even CHAdeMO and Nissan supports dual standard chargers as the way forward.
http://www.chademo.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/2013-06-11EVSummit.pdf

Nissan is offering free money toward charger installs and also gave many free chargers to dealers. A large majority of the 550 CHAdeMO stations in the US were at least partially funded by Nissan (before Nissan's push for dealer chargers, there were only 100 or so government funded ones). If you take out Nissan, CHAdeMO would not have anywhere near its current market share. And Nissan's vehicles also make up a large majority of CHAdeMO capable vehicles. The only other comparable player is Mitsubishi.
http://insideevs.com/nissan-now-offering-15000-towards-chademo-charger-installs-in-us/

Correct. The CHAdeMO association is NOT the Nissan auto manufacturer, and vice versa. Dozens of companies build CHAdeMO equipment, numerous companies install and operate it, over 100,000 cars from a half dozen manufacturers actively use it.

Yes, Nissan is a big player in the deployment of CHAdeMO protocol infrastructure worldwide, but unlike Tesla Supercharger, Nissan is not "it" for CHAdeMO. Tesla solely designed, financed and owns EVERY one of the 500-ish Supercharger stalls, and those stations ONLY work on Tesla cars. Most importantly, though, is that Tesla has COMPLETE control over their proprietary standard. That's not even close to the situation for Nissan and the current 3500 CHAdeMO stations and 130,000 cars from numerous manufacturers that can use them.

I'm pretty sure other folks get this so this is silly to belabor.

- - - Updated - - -

So he is involved with a company that sells CHaDeMO equipment? Now at least I know to take any of his post on this topic with a grain of salt.

When I read knee jerk, poorly researched and poorly thought out reactions like yours, I already know to reach for my salt, and lots of it.

Sorry, Charlie. I'm not with any company selling CHAdeMO equipment. I am associated with installing EV charging infrastructure (you're welcome), and we would be putting in Frankenplug chargers or Man-On-The-Moon protocol chargers if there were 45,000 of those cars driving around like there is CHAdeMO ones in the USA, with projections for a million in a decade. Instead, there are a few dozen Frankenplug compliance cars with projections of being moribund for years while GM, Ford, Mercedes, et al, think about it.

With a CHAdeMO adaptor from Tesla, those same CHAdeMO stations can now charge tens of thousands of Tesla cars. We intend to offer those adaptors as a service.

The things above are simple facts, not hopes and dreams. With my firsthand knowledge, I tell everybody that Frankenplug increases costs which could be used to expand the EV charging infrastructure and adoption of EV's. Every Frankenplg station that is installed for limited production compliance cars takes away extremely valuable resources from mass market EV's that need that resource.

For the guys who don't write checks for this stuff, I always love the, "eh, it's probably, uh, like $500 to add a Frankenplug" obviously are clueless stooges. Price that ABB brand Frankencharger and then compare it to a $10k wholesale (or free from Nissan) CHAdeMO one. Get back to me when it's only $500 different.

Last edited:
Relative to the cost of installing the whole charger, it IS nominal. I remember it maxes out at a couple thousand (it was mentioned somewhere in this thread, but too lazy to dig), but installing a charger costs tens of thousands, so it's only a fraction of the cost.
As Tony says - a CHAdeMO QC station can be had for $10-15k.

A CHAdeMO/SAE-Combo capable QC station currently costs you multiple times that amount ($50k).

Chademo is living on borrowed time until and unless someone puts out an EV with a 200+ mile range that can fast-charge with Chademo at rates comparable to supercharging. And people buy it :).

Chademo is currently (ar ar) limited to ~50-60KW charging rates. That's a huge problem. I think you need ~100 KW rates to be viable. SAE CCS can do this. Chademo could do this in theory but hasn't yet. So while Chademo may work ok for Japanese driving patterns for most of the rest of the world, it's not practical for long-distance trips.

My prediction: if the SAE car makers get their act together and put out a 200+ mile range EV with a few hundred SAE 100KW CCS charging stations relatively soon, Chademo will fade away except in Japan and a few other densely populated areas.

You've got some flawed logic there. If you're supporting Frankenplug, then mentioning that it "can" do 100kW just like CHAdeMO can do 100kW isn't an advantage. The current 5 or 6 Franken-stations in the USA are not 100kW, contrary to the GM and German auto maker talking points.

If CHAdeMO speeds aren't fast enough, then neither is Frankenplug. That's the single biggest issue that I have with this moribund charge protocol; they didn't even make it better.

CHAdeMO - 3500 worldwide, 550 in the USA
up to 100kW (500v*200a) eventually, currently limited to 62.5kW (500v*125a)

NOTE: just like Frankenplug, you will never get 100kW with a 400 volt battery. The best is 80kW (400v*200a). The Spark EV compliance car is well below 400 volts, if I recall correctly.
Tesla, on the other hand, takes a 400-ish volt battery and BLASTS it with over 300 amps to make 120kW. When it goes up to 150kW, that will all be increased amps. So, a Supercharger car in the very near future will be about TWICE as fast as a typical LEAF or compliance car. Yep, folks, that is the real deal.

EV's compatible with CHAdeMO include:

*Nissan LEAF - over 45,000 in the USA and over 100,000 worldwide
*Nissan e-NV200 (coming 2014)
*Citroen C-Zero - not sold in USA
*Mitsubishi i-MiEV - over 30,000 worldwide with its variants C-Zero & iON
*Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (coming 2015)
*Peugeot iON - not sold in USA
*Kia Soul EV (coming 2014)
*ZERO motorcycles
*Tesla, except Roadster, with adaptor

Last edited:
Oh, crap, I don't think this was supposed to happen in a Franken-world:

New! DC fast charging system standards IEC 61851-23 and -24 have been FDIS approved for CHAdeMO.

Frankenplug only future in Europe not looking as rosy as German car makers want

Deadline for minimum build-out of EV charging infrastructure of EU member states delayed until 31 Dec 2030. (Note, in government speak, that means forever)

*The minimum number of charge points per member state deleted.

*Open access to all parties who want to install chargers.

*Member states who have already invested in other than Frankenplug can keep them.

It still has language in their to squash Tesla (Supercharger), Renault (Chameleon) and CHAdeMO at some point, but the that is clearly eroding with every revision of these rules. As usually, I'm not blind to the lobbying power of the German car makers, but Nissan / Renault is not completely mute, I'm sure. Plus, they are doers.

Last edited:
The i3 is a pretty significant non-compliance car (and by non-compliance I mean it's not solely being built for compliance, but is planned for national launch).
I hate to break it to you, but ANY similar product that is inferior to other products they build kind of tells the story here. No manufacturer builds inferior products because they want to.

Just look at how BMW setup the Rex in the US. The only reason for that is CARB compliance(which is a big clue why they were built).

I'm not supporting Frankenplug, just calling out the market requirements as I see it. If CCS backers don't put out high-KW charging stations and cars with large batteries, CCS will become an irrelevant standard too.

80KW charging rates might be ok. It's not *that* much worse than 90KW. But the more I think about it, the more I think 120KW is the magic number.

Drive for 3 hours, charge for 30 minutes. Although with an 85KW battery, it's more like drive 2 hours, charge for 20 minutes. With 80-90KW charging, you're looking at drive for 2 hours, charge for ~30 minutes. Which is why I say the S is "barely practical". Even with 120KW charging, you have to stop too often.

I think the S needs a bigger battery to move from barely practical to truly practical for long-distance trips.

Battery size is everything. It gives you more power and makes faster charging easier and less harmful to the battery. The longer range and faster charging means you can get away with far fewer charging stations. So the governments don't have to spend nearly as much money funding them.

And the only people who seem to understand this is Tesla. Everyone else is putting out cars with 20-40KW batteries. Those cars are just fundamentally flawed, IMO.

Well, I stand corrected. Maybe the EU figured this out, too.

Last edited:
These are the axes of interest for me for road-trip charging, and where I loosely (read: quickly) rank the 3 choices on each axis.

1. Safety: 3-way tie (until more info tells us otherwise)
2. Speed: Tesla >> ( tie: CHAdeMO, CCS )
3. Elegance/Design: Tesla >> ( tie: CHAdeMO, CCS )
4. Size: Tesla >> CHAdeMO > CCS
5. Convenience/Availability: CHAdeMO ~> Tesla >> CCS

For brevity, "Tesla" means "Tesla supercharger" above.
For #3 I'm referring to the physical form factor of the consumer-facing devices.
I'm looking forward to #5 changing as the supercharger network gets fleshed out.

> means "better"
>> means "significantly better"
~> means "probably better but it's close"

Oh, crap, I don't think this was supposed to happen in a Franken-world:

New! DC fast charging system standards IEC 61851-23 and -24 have been FDIS approved for CHAdeMO.
We already knew that would happen, CHAdeMO has been applying to be an IEC standard since last year. That doesn't mean minimum support as the document you link still refers to "type 2" and "type 2 Combo" (type 1 and type 3 is still excluded from the minimum spec, even though it's also IEC).

- - - Updated - - -

I hate to break it to you, but ANY similar product that is inferior to other products they build kind of tells the story here. No manufacturer builds inferior products because they want to.
Inferior is in the eye of the beholder. In many ways the Leaf is inferior to Nissan's ICE cars (range, cargo room, styling), but that doesn't mean it's only "compliance car" or that Nissan is not serious. The REx is designed to get CARB credits, but it's not any worse than other "serious" EVs in this regard (the Leaf, iMIEV, and many other EVs were designed with 100 UDDS range also to fit with CARB regulation, even Tesla did battery swapping to fit into CARB's fast refueling credit bonus).

- - - Updated - - -

As Tony says - a CHAdeMO QC station can be had for $10-15k.

A CHAdeMO/SAE-Combo capable QC station currently costs you multiple times that amount ($50k).
So you are saying a QC station with the same specs from the same manufacturer will cost $35-40k more when you option it with a SAE Combo connector? If the manufacturer for a $10-15k station added a SAE Combo connector to it, I think any sane estimate would put that option well under $10k (couple thousand is a good guess). And you are forgetting installation fees too. So in the context of the industry of as a whole, adding a connector only has a nominal cost.

- - - Updated - - -

You've got some flawed logic there. If you're supporting Frankenplug, then mentioning that it "can" do 100kW just like CHAdeMO can do 100kW isn't an advantage. The current 5 or 6 Franken-stations in the USA are not 100kW, contrary to the GM and German auto maker talking points.
Actually if you look at charger spec sheets, the ABB CCS chargers installed in California actually does have a higher current carrying capacity than CHAdeMO:
CHAdeMO is 120A, while the CCS is 165A (both max out at 500V).
http://www05.abb.com/global/scot/sc...70da7/$file/4EVC204301-LFUS_Terra53CJ-WEB.pdf

CHAdeMO on paper is also capable of 100kW, but I think all the connectors and sockets manufactured so far are only rated to max out at 125A (62.5kW max), while the CCS connectors/sockets are rated higher (165A apparently for the US variant, or 82.5kW). That means CCS connector/socket does have a real advantage in power, although it would take dedicated stations to realize that (as it's pointless to build a 50kW+ dual connector station, since CHADeMO can't use more than 50kW).

I'm not supporting Frankenplug, just calling out the market requirements as I see it. If CCS backers don't put out high-KW charging stations and cars with large batteries, CCS will become an irrelevant standard too.

They know that, which is why they are working the rule makers so hard in Europe!!! It's far easier to pay lobbyists to stop, delay, cast doubt upon, etc, the non German designed plugs that are currently over 1000 in Europe than to spend money to build cars and chargers.

Jack Rickard of EVTV, "I watched dozens of these scenarios play out as the Internet developed. You can vote yourself blind. You can decree standards till hell freezes over. As soon as someone comes out with a better one that sells, nobody can even remember the name of your standard. You play, or you lose market share."

This entire argument seems, well, moot. Installing < 100kW L3 chargers of any sort seems like a waste of money, no matter what standard.

Look 5 or 10 years into the future. You need DC fast charging for road tripping. L2 for anything else. The costs of installing even 50 kW DC fast charging of any sort is so high that the thousands and thousands of EV charge ports needed at that point are likely going to be L2. We are currently paying for Nissan's short sightedness and poor judgement. They chose to push a small commuter BEV and cripple it with a very slow L2 charger, reducing the demand for 60-80A J1772, which is an order of magnitude cheaper to install per charge port than L3 DC fast charge ports. Then they push a slow L3 DC fast charge standard. Not only that, their own car has battery reliability issues with even that much charge rate. Who wants to road trip any car hopping at 50kW? It's absurd that they chose to push DC fast charging at all at the stage they're currently at with their battery. It's all a waste of money. Instead, they should have put in an 80A J1772, charge at 20kW which would be nicer to their battery and be far more useful all around. Once they sort out their NMC chemistry and boost the battery pack to at least 40kW, then maybe charge at 2C at ~80kW with tapering, then bother with DC fast charging. I feel that they've led a lot of people astray.

Who in their right mind is going to install 50kW DC fast chargers of any standard for road tripping even up and down the east and west coasts? Except for a few hardy souls, how many people would be willing to suffer through the number of charge hops for driving from SF to either San Diego or Seattle? From Miami to DC? Anything short of 100 kW is a non-starter for widespread EV adoption. Anything less than road tripping can be taken care of with 60 or 80A J1772 at small fraction of the price.