Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety net between trunk and back seat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to sort out some details before really ordering a model s. I've searched and searched for this but can't seem to find it.
I know there is a parcel shelf available for the trunk. But is there a safety net that separates the back seat from the trunk?
From Tesla? Standard? As option? 3rd party?
I really don't want things to come flying into my kids if I have to break hard.

I'm trying to sort out some details before really ordering a model s. I've searched and searched for this but can't seem to find it.
I know there is a parcel shelf available for the trunk. But is there a safety net that separates the back seat from the trunk?
From Tesla? Standard? As option? 3rd party?
I really don't want things to come flying into my kids if I have to break hard.

As deep as the trunk area is and as high as the backseat headrests are, I don't think you.d have a problem with that. There's just enough room between the top of the seats and the roof for my 90 lb dog to stick his head thru from the trunk area. Actually, quite funny to watch him pull his head back cause if he turns his head and tries to pull it back over tho top of the headrest, he gets stuck. And he tries that almost every time. Yeah, you'd probably have to see it to get the humor.

So, the long and the short of it is that I highly doubt anything would fly from the trunk into the backseat, unless you have a whole bunch of stuff stacked up so the trunk was full up to the top of the backseat.

As deep as the trunk area is and as high as the backseat headrests are, I don't think you.d have a problem with that. There's just enough room between the top of the seats and the roof for my 90 lb dog to stick his head thru from the trunk area. Actually, quite funny to watch him pull his head back cause if he turns his head and tries to pull it back over tho top of the headrest, he gets stuck. And he tries that almost every time. Yeah, you'd probably have to see it to get the humor.

So, the long and the short of it is that I highly doubt anything would fly from the trunk into the backseat, unless you have a whole bunch of stuff stacked up so the trunk was full up to the top of the backseat.

I agree it generally shouldn't be a issue, unless you have a bunch of loose, heavy, hard objects back there. My 65 pound greyhound can just get here head through. My 40 pound mutt tries for about 20 minutes every car ride to get over the seats, and is unable to do so. It is a tight squeeze back there.

I see your points in regard to dogs.
But we don't have a dog, we have a child in the back seat and occasionally pack things high (stroller of the larger model etc.).
Family travel tend to do that...
I'm hoping to replace a BMW 5-series touring (station wagon type) with a model s.
All modern european station wagon types (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, Volvo, etc.) have a safety net that can be "rolled up" and attached to the roof (or sides close to the roof).

Is something similar available for the model s?
It just takes one unfortunate incident for me to be sorry for the rest of my life. So even if it isn't likely I prefer some kind of net.

I know there is a frunk. And I know there is a parcel shelf. And they will solve most things. But I know we sometimes need to pack it to the roof in the trunk so we really need some kind of net. There seems to be fittings for one, at least at the place where the parcel shelf meets the rear part of the back seat.

While all input is useful, what I'm really looking for is someone who knows where to get some kind of net (soft or hard).

The alternative is to stay with a "normal" car but I would really really like to get a model s instead.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I colleague of mine was killed on a drive to Las Vegas from L.A. in an auto accident that should have resulted in minor injuries, except that there was some poles in the back of the car that launched and went straight through his head. Awful.

Don't let the presence or absence of a net kill your plans to get a Tesla. This is not a unique "deficit" to the Tesla and I am confident that there are solutions that can be created. Most SUV's do not have such a net, and all are open from the passenger cabin to the back. The above posters are correct in that there is little space for objects to sneak through. Packing smartly so that you don't put small objects on top that could launch forward just makes sense. I think if this every time I pack up my car.

As said above, any loose items can be securely packed in the frunk and in the bottom of the trunk under the shelf. The additional parcel shelf (which I did not buy) is merely a cover and useless for your needs. In the event of an impact, it will do absolutely no good.

There are a ton of options for purchasing an aftermarket net. Jeep, Honda, Volvo, etc all have them for their SUV's, plus I bet there are a ton of options out there on eBay. You will have to have someone install anchor points for you. Even simpler, would be a dog barrier, available on ebay for about US $15
Untitled.jpg

Now I got somewhat confused.
Isn't the parcel shelf enough to keep objects from flying into the back seat?

Ohh... And from my viewpoint, it is a unique deficit of tesla. I don't know about US models (I'm in sweden) but here every station wagon from a major brand has this built in from the start.

Height under the parcel shelf?

I've seen measurements of the trunk's (and frunk's) various dimensions in other threads. Great.
But what is the height from the "flat floor" (not counting the extra lower part) of the trunk to the bottom of the parcel shelf?
Someone with one that can take a measurement? Or point to where it can be found?

I've seen measurements of the trunk's (and frunk's) various dimensions in other threads. Great.
But what is the height from the "flat floor" (not counting the extra lower part) of the trunk to the bottom of the parcel shelf?
Someone with one that can take a measurement? Or point to where it can be found?

Just measured 18.5 inches (About 47 cm)

Absolutely not. This shelf just lies gently on the edges of the trunk. It is not locked down. In the event of an impact, an object can propel at a force many times it's weight. There are some pretty smart people on this forum who could do calculation. It can act like a shield of sorts, but certainly, it will go flying off itself.

Ohh... And from my viewpoint, it is a unique deficit of tesla. I don't know about US models (I'm in sweden) but here every station wagon from a major brand has this built in from the start.
Understood. In the US, this is not a standard feature. I am on my 6th or 7th SUV and not one of them has had this.

I believe the parcel shelf will keep objects from flying since it hooks in toward the front of the car and will not move up when the trunk lid is down. It will be much safer than a nylon net. The parcel shelf is not strong enough to put a lot of weight on it.

It's definitely not unique to Tesla at least int he US. I've never seen a net "built in" to hatchback, minivan or SUV. There might be anchor points in some, but none in any I've owned.

Nets like that are not common in the US. Wagons from MB, BMW and Audi include them -- although usually as an option (my wife's 328 Touring included one standard). Nearly all SUVs do not include them, and only the Euro makes tend to have them as optional.

As to the OP... I have the parcel shelf -- and it will help contain items placed in the back under it. It would be awkward to place much on top of it (other than possibly a blanket or towel...), so any concerns about an object flying forward would be met by no placing anything on top of it.

Thanks everyone.
Also thanks for explaining the parcel shelf.

By the way, when I look in the model s design studio on teslas website. On the interior pricture, it shows some kind of point above the back seat. Is that an anchor point or a reading lamp?

By the way, when I look in the model s design studio on teslas website. On the interior pricture, it shows some kind of point above the back seat. Is that an anchor point or a reading lamp?

That's a reading lamp.

The other posters are correct when they say that a barrier is not standard on North American vehicles. However, there are plenty of aftermarket barriers, so it shouldn't be a problem.

As I understand it, the thing is that Tesla has had limited resources. They couldn’t spend the money and the manpower to develop everything that the competitors have standard or offer as an option. So therefore they made some compromises in order to get the car to market faster.

For example:

No parking sensors – Has just been added.

No guidelines in the rear view camera – Will likely be added as an upgrade at some time.

No factory mounted hitch option for the European market (or any other market for that matter).

No center console storage – It appears it will be added soon though as an option.

No ‘oh s#!t handles’ and accompanying little hooks to hang things from the roof above the side windows.

&

Unfortunately also no standard (or optional) safety net between the trunk and the back seat.
But since you live in Sweden you have probably seen station wagons with metal cargo barriers (often coated in black) similar to the one in the picture with the German Shepherd (schäfern) above. Perhaps you can find a reputable machine shop somewhere that would be willing to custom make something a little more sturdy for you? Don’t know what that could cost though…

Or perhaps someone else on this forum knows of more alternative solutions.

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely not. This shelf just lies gently on the edges of the trunk. It is not locked down. In the event of an impact, an object can propel at a force many times it's weight. There are some pretty smart people on this forum who could do calculation. It can act like a shield of sorts, but certainly, it will go flying off itself.
Is the opening between the trunk and the passenger compartment big enough for the parcel shelf to be able to come flying into the passenger compartment in the event of a head on collision?

Last edited:
Is the opening between the trunk and the passenger compartment big enough for the parcel shelf to be able to come flying into the passenger compartment in the event of a head on collision?

Yes, but the parcel shelf is on rails that should prevent it from happening. Really, the only time I would be concerned would if I did the bounce and the car was still traveling at high speeds. At that time anything in the back could be a projectile. However, it's one of those really unlikely situations.