Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Unsafe Following" is killing me. Okay, that's hyperbolic--our score is 98. But two days ago, for example, I got a 60% Unsafe Following in red. I'm a serious non-tailgater anyway, and now trying extra hard. Maybe I'm following soooo far back that it doesn't even count as following at all most of the time, so my denominator is small and the little bit of time I do get close whacks my score. Oh well.

I also got dinged a few days ago for a hard braking violation when I had the nerve to jam on the brakes when a pedestrian abruptly came off the sidewalk in front of me. Maybe in the next version, Tesla will say it's okay to brake hard when there's a good reason. ;)

No, I see 6 miles with 101.9 FCW. that one day brought my score from 96 to 88.
Wow, over 100 in FCW. Do you recall having FCWs on that drive? How many?

If you click the 'Safety Score Simulator' you can enter the same numbers(*) and see why you got a zero.

(*) I just did this for your numbers, and learned that the simulator limits FCWs to 100 in the app. So you can't even enter the full number they are reporting for you. But if you enter 100 and add the other two areas you were dinged for, it still reports 0% for that day. FCWs are weighted pretty heavy in the score.

"Unsafe Following" is killing me. Okay, that's hyperbolic--our score is 98. But two days ago, for example, I got a 60% Unsafe Following in red. I'm a serious non-tailgater anyway, and now trying extra hard. Maybe I'm following soooo far back that it doesn't even count as following at all most of the time, so my denominator is small and the little bit of time I do get close whacks my score. Oh well.

I also got dinged a few days ago for a hard braking violation when I had the nerve to jam on the brakes when a pedestrian abruptly came off the sidewalk in front of me. Maybe in the next version, Tesla will say it's okay to brake hard when there's a good reason. ;)

I learned 2 second following when I started driving many years ago. When using the safety score I found that I tend to drift into the 1 second range and seemed to be getting dinged for that in traffic. I've been making an effort to stay around 3 seconds and have no more unsafe following for most cases now. I don't believe further back will hurt you as I've seen some mention here.

Last edited:
Reactions: HighZ
I think it does depend on timing, model, options and local taxes. In WA in 2018 I paid 74500 for a red\black M3P- with FSD including doc+fees, however at the time the M3P would have been an extra $5000. With WA high 10.1% sales tax that is over $1500 more than a M3P today (and that is after all the recent price hikes). The RTA taxes per year would have probably been higher on the 2018 car, than they are on a 2021 since they are based of MSRP. However, if someone requested the $5k refund to give up their unlimited super charging on the 2018 M3P, then that would have been cheaper.

Then you could get another $12,500 back on the 2018 ($7500 fed rebate, $5000 tesla 2018 P refund for FUSC)

So the 2018 was absolutely cheaper than today apples to apples.

(You could have forgone the 5k refund and kept unlimtied free supercharging of course- but that'd only make sense if you found FUSC to be a more-than-5k value in which case you STILL got a better dealer in '18 than on a new one)

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
How is a tilt sensor different from an accelerometer? As you said, something external to the car is needed to differentiate gravity from acceleration. I agree with you that if the car can know/calculate it's orientation via GPS then it could in theory use that to compensate for gravity in its accelerometer measurements.
It doesn't have to be external to the car. See inertial navigation system here:
Inertial navigation system - Wikipedia

A simple source of longitudinal acceleration uncorrupted by gravity on the car is to measure the change in the wheel speed with respect to time.

Anyone please answer. I have a 100 and Hard Braking of 0.4%. Tomorrow (ass-uming) 3.2 drops tomorrow night what would be best:

• Get up super early and get on the Interstate and do several 70-0 with regen stops to try and lower my braking (will this work?)
  • Just try and drive the minimum I can (about 6 miles city) and hope for a 100 daily and this will keep my 100 overall

Will I still have a 100 doing the latter provided I don't have any incident or do I need and tray and lower my Hard Braking score? Also is the former a good way to do that?
If you already have a 100 score, then I wouldn't do anything. Also, the beta update is supposed to be tonight, so driving tomorrow wouldn't do you any good in terms of your safety score.

To answer your last question, if you already have a 100 then your score will stay 100 (whether you drive 0 miles or 1000 miles) as long as you don't have any violations.

So surprised by everybody's mileage. Average mileage for US is estimated to be 12K per year, which is 33 miles per day. So, for 2 week period, it should be 460 miles. Covid probably reduces US average. All these 1,000+ miles are more than double average.
Uhh, because we're all gaming the system. Normally I don't take 100+ mile drives at 1am.

If you already have a 100 score, then I wouldn't do anything. Also, the beta update is supposed to be tonight, so driving tomorrow wouldn't do you any good in terms of your safety score.

To answer your last question, if you already have a 100 then your score will stay 100 (whether you drive 0 miles or 1000 miles) as long as you don't have any violations.
I'm not sure we know it's going to be tonight. He could have been explicit and said Sunday. It was early this morning, Sunday, and he said tomorrow. So it could be midnight Monday. If there is an ambiguous timeframe with Musk, go with the longer.

• Funny
Reactions: Ramphex
Sorry if I missed this but has anyone clarified what Elon means when he says a "perfect score"? Lots of interpretations and I'm afraid there will be alot of unhappy people who have a score of 100 which may not necessarily be a "perfect 100" according to how Tesla defines perfect.

I'm not sure we know it's going to be tonight. He could have been explicit and said Sunday. It was early this morning, Sunday, and he said tomorrow. So it could be midnight Monday. If there is an ambiguous timeframe with Musk, go with the longer.
There was an extensive analysis of Elon's tweet (not sure which thread) based upon where we believe he was when he tweeted, etc. and I think the forum consensus right now is that it will drop tonight. Also, from what I've seen on twitter, that's also the prevailing opinion of those who are already beta testers and/or those who purportedly have inside information.

Things can always change at the last minute (as was the case on Friday night), but people are definitely geared up and planning to get it in about 5 hours!

Then you could get another $12,500 back on the 2018 ($7500 fed rebate, $5000 tesla 2018 P refund for FUSC)

So the 2018 was absolutely cheaper than today apples to apples.

(You could have forgone the 5k refund and kept unlimtied free supercharging of course- but that'd only make sense if you found FUSC to be a more-than-5k value in which case you STILL got a better dealer in '18 than on a new one)

My calculations:

2018 Red\black, M3P + FSD (when new):
$79,500.00
+tax 10.1%
= 87529.50
-7500 rebate
= 80029.50

2021 Red\black, M3P + FSD:
$71,100.00
+tax 10.2%
= 78352.20

So I think 2021 is slightly cheaper in this case, unless you took the $5k FUSC rebate (which was actually $5505 in this case due to sales tax). But yeah, I think anyone that didn't take the FUSC likely didn't make a good decision unless they do a lot of driving and will own the car for a very long time. My guess is there were some people that just didn't even know about the refund option.

Edit: (I guess once you factor in the homelink and connectivity charges over many years it was better off to buy the older one in any case)

I wish someone could explain to me how I got a zero.
115.38234-22.526504*(0.682854*POWER(1.014495,101.9)*POWER(1.127294,4.5)*POWER(1.01963,7)*POWER(1.001444,0)) = -15.58

Non-Excel traditional notation:
115.38234-22.526504*(0.682854*1.014495^101.9*1.127294^4.5*1.01963^7*1.001444^0) = -15.58

Hope that helps. Tesla did you a favor by rounding your score up to 0.

Reactions: Aaf0052 and Sporty
Keep in mind people with a 100 are much more likely to use this tool. Notice there are very few people in this thread who don’t have a perfect score
We really have no idea what the needed 100 score means for this first FSD beta rollout. . While there may be quite a few here who have managed to get 100 scores, few have done that without any dings. Are there 1000 drivers with no dings? For those who have been dinged and have driven a ton to fix their scores, it remains to be seen if they are among those selected first, unless all 100 scores are treated the same.

In addition to a 100 score with dings or not, we don't know is what the required minimum number of days driving is needed, either the 7 days originally mentioned or more days because of the delayed release. Some people with 100 scores have stopped driving after 7 days to avoid any chance of losing that score.
We'll hopefully have answers to these questions soon.