Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with you. I get a perfect score if drive manually. I pay attention, I have bad score every time AP is used! There is a bug. Unless Tesla already have "1000 people" on the list. My score now is 96. Honestly I am not in rush to have it. Just let those having perfect score to test first.

I believe AP shows the % change on the main screen, but it doesn't count against the score. For example, you might have a 20% following too close, but because you were on AP It did not impact the safety score.

I agree with you. I get a perfect score if drive manually. I pay attention, I have bad score every time AP is used! There is a bug. Unless Tesla already have "1000 people" on the list. My score now is 96. Honestly I am not in rush to have it. Just let those having perfect score to test first.

I believe AP shows the % change on the main screen, but it doesn't count against the score. For example, you might have a 20% following too close, but because you were on AP It did not impact the safety score.

For those working to get to a score of 100 by the 10.2 release here is a link to my spreadsheet that can assist you in your planning.
There are full instructions on the sheet as shown on the screenshot below the link. Thanks for the nice comments I've gotten from folks who have used this. Who is going to pull a ~500 miler to get to 100? Good luck and safe driving.

View attachment 718810
For those that are using my spreadsheet please see the note I just added regarding whether 9.50 or 9.51 is required to reach 100 on the Tesla app.

1633706863205.png

Reactions: ahoen117
He got you guys running around like hamsters. jesus christ
My favorite are the people driving extra miles to try and get their score up. I hope you didn't buy a Tesla for the environmental impact reduction. Which means you bought it for how it drove? And now you're allowing a score to limit how you drive? What are you doing people?

Also, this thread is now 88 pages, in under two weeks, all about how to game a score to get software that was supposed to be released in 2017 a few weeks earlier. That has to be a near record- almost nothing else has ever garnered this much discussion, despite other conversations being about actual autonomy, not how to win a lottery.

I've been stuck on 97 for a few days. Realizing that only the 100's are getting in this weekend I drove excessively "unsafe" this morning on my commute. I took turns aggressively, used the brakes and tailgated all morning. Damn that felt good!!!
So, are you assuming if you don't end up with 100 tonight that the Safety Score is done collecting data from your car?
IE - your score is "frozen" at the end of the day today?

It's definitely not going to be frozen! But based on what has been said, it sounds like newly minted 100s won't be admitted to the beta if they don't happen by today! So if there's no hope for a 100 today, it probably doesn't really matter too much. It's a rolling 30-day window so worst case maybe you delay qualification (which possibly won't result in admission in any case) for another 30 days. I guess we'll see.

Reactions: HighZ
. It's a rolling 30-day window so worst case maybe you delay qualification (which possibly won't result in admission in any case) for another 30 days. I guess we'll see.
At first it was advertised as 7 days.
Then it was 30 days.
Now it's a rolling 30 day window.
And magically, they're only going to let in a few percent each week with their 1K, then wait for data process, so some people could end up going months like this if they live in an area that the score "obviously" is designed to discount (cities).

Looks a lot like a really broad data collection effort in disguise, with a little "let's get people to drive their cars more and wear them out faster" mixed in for kicks.

It's definitely not going to be frozen! But based on what has been said, it sounds like newly minted 100s won't be admitted to the beta if they don't happen by today! So if there's no hope for a 100 today, it probably doesn't really matter too much. It's a rolling 30-day window so worst case maybe you delay qualification (which possibly won't result in admission in any case) for another 30 days. I guess we'll see.
Wait - the only thing we have been told is - if the score is 100 today (don't know the time), we get FSD tonight/tomorrow.

Everything else you are guessing ...

So, are you assuming if you don't end up with 100 tonight that the Safety Score is done collecting data from your car?
I don't care if they keep collecting data from my car and assume that they will. I am honestly fine with all the Beta testers hopefully getting the rest of us a finished product soon. Well done earning a 100 to all that have done so!

Second, TACC absolutely does not protect you from events. I had to do a lot of driving around to erase events that happened while TACC was engaged. For the purposes of scoring, never use TACC without AP engaged. It's just too easy to get dinged with TACC alone
I third this, most of my initial bad scores were because of dings while driving on highways / freeways with AutoPilot / TACC engaged. Even with a following distance of 7 I one time had a 40% unsafe following metric due to people cutting in front of mef and AP / TACC not reacting fast enough. Ever since I switched to manual driving I've gotten nothing but 100 scores.

Yesterday, I did some experiments. Not entirely proven I would say - definitely would want to do a few more tests with following events that are incontrovertible - but I think it appears very likely that TACC (when used without accelerator override) masks unsafe following.

Here's the first one. On this trip I had 0.0% following for my score. I used manual driving the whole way, except I turned on TACC (and only TACC) immediately before the Audi crossed my path. So to me it appears very likely that TACC masked this event.

For reference, in the evening, I had a cut-in event which I tried to engage AP for (it refused to engage for whatever reason, slight curve, an overpass, etc.), and this resulted in a 0.8% unsafe following (I can say with 100% certainty that this was the only event which was in the 1-second window on this trip). So this clip gives an idea of what a triggered unsafe following event looks like (mostly linked here to reduce debate about the first clip and whether the car measured the Audi to be more than 1 second in front).

Note that this event lasting less than 1 to 1.5 seconds could have easily led to 60% unsafe following if I had not banked the safe following in the 10 minutes of driving prior (it was about a 20 minute trip). Bank that safe following when not using AP!

Anyway, I had to settle for that being the demerit on yesterday's driving (0.3% for the day, so I banked 300-500 seconds of safe following at other times).

Would be nice to get some other captures with slower passes, where the cut-in is more clearly in the 1-second window for longer, while using TACC. And then we should know for sure, either way. Maybe sometime!

IMG_0957.PNG
IMG_0956.PNG