Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sainsbury's Launch Own-Brand Charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
they're spread around the edges of the country where there aren't currently many ultra rapids, which would then aid people on hols. Inland, I can't really see them being used much at that price.
One thing that is stopping me from visiting places in UK that is not covered that much by Tesla SCs is lack of availability of rapid or ultrarapids in places like supermarkets where I can do a quick refill before I get to the next SCs. One classic example is couple of years ago we were at the lakes and we stayed between Windermere and Keswick. The accommodation had a 3 pin plug to charge - well and good. On a normal day, that is sorted. The nearest Tesla SCs was around 22miles away. There were not many rapids or ultrarapids - mostly council car parks with 7kws. We had an emergency to go to the nearest A&E in the middle of the night the car had around 50% charge that is good enough to take me once and get back to base. If we needed to go again we had to go to the Tesla SCs to do the charging with a sick child at the back. There were few chargers dotted around but all of them were 7kws not very useful for a quick fill and dash. The other big issue is their unsuable nature or complex process of having all the apps and subscriptions - again this needed to be resolved - if sainsbury does that with just credit cards then great.

Reactions: ACarneiro
But EV chargers need to be accessible for everyone including people with disability. I think ICErs need to understand that it is not ok to park there even for few minutes.
So make the spaces that are further away wider? 🤷‍♂️
And someone should tell my local Tesco then that their 7kw charging spaces are barely wide enough to fit a car in let alone a wheelchair down the side as well.

I don't recall such conversations about which is best suited (fast or rapid's) when they were free at supermarkets not so long ago!
I'd take a free slow vs a paying fast anytime (if not on a road trip obviously).

Actually they should do just that.
Keep a couple ultrafast with their outrageous pricing for customers on a road trip so they can take a quick loo break with a sandwich if desperate.
Offer a bunch of free 7kW for customers (with proof of minimum spend if needed).

That way everyone's happy

Reactions: Durzel
I'd take a free slow vs a paying fast anytime (if not on a road trip obviously).

Keep a couple ultrafast with their outrageous pricing for customers on a road trip so they can take a quick loo break with a sandwich if desperate.
Offer a bunch of free 7kW for customers (with proof of minimum spend if needed).

They exactly have that in Cambridge Waitrose but not free. I have rarely seen any of them being used by electric cars. During Pre Christmas days all of them were occupied by ICE cars and some Evs with no charge cable attached.

I can't see the point of 7Kw's - I mean who's in a supermarket for 1, longer than necessary; 2, 3-4 hours to make any real difference? I'd say 50Kwh speeds would probably better suited - mid-way speed wise so you can top up substantially for the expected average visit time, 10-40mins? And they'd probably be able to install more of them and they'd be used
My only issue with these, and particularly destination chargers, are the wholly over the top costs. IMO regulation is required regarding these prices

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
If all supermarkets in the UK had at least 4 fast chargers, even at 75p/kwh, that would be great because you will never be far from one and they normally have toilets and you can get drinks too. So when you are are in an unfamiliar place and running a bit low you can get a charge. Yes, they need to have good signage to stop people ICEing them and limit people to say, a 30 minutes charge when other people are waiting.

You can't limit to 30 minutes at a supermarket since anybody doing a shop could take longer than that.

The Tesla-style power-sharing approach is needed, where there are more stalls than power so it can tolerate some people staying longer.

I can't see the point of 7Kw's - I mean who's in a supermarket for 1, longer than necessary; 2, 3-4 hours to make any real difference? I'd say 50Kwh speeds would probably better suited - mid-way speed wise so you can top up substantially for the expected average visit time, 10-40mins? And they'd probably be able to install more of them and they'd be used
My only issue with these, and particularly destination chargers, are the wholly over the top costs. IMO regulation is required regarding these prices
You've sortof answered yourself there.

If it's a rapid/ultra rapid then it can't be free, since people will be maxing out their cars on them and Sainsburys (or whoever) would have to eat the bill. They wouldn't gain anything from it, particularly since there's a good chance any customer using it would be in the store for less time anyway (so not doing a big shop), if that person goes into the store at all.

7kW or maybe 22kW - subsidised with a receipt or whatever - means people can't use it as their own personal chargers like what happened with the Tesco Podpoint ones when they were free, but they also give people a topup while they shop.

It seems to me that people are fixated on receiving a significant charge while they're shopping, "otherwise what's the point". My argument is that it can be enough that it's a bit extra, if it cancels out the miles you did to get there and back then that could arguably be enough. Again, different strokes for different folks. I used to plug in at Tesco whether I was in there for 20 minutes or longer - because it was free and I'm getting a bag out of the boot anyway. Also the spaces were a lot bigger so less chance of door dings.

I can't speak to whether or not a given individual on here can be bothered to get free electrons or not, everyone is different. As I said before though - when Tesco Podpoints were free they were always in use, in my experience at least. Have they lost footfall now that they're chargeable? I'd argue yes, though would concede I don't know to what extent as they were certainly abused.

I just happen to think if a supermarket is installing chargers with an eye on incentivising footfall, or drawing people away from other supermarkets, then those chargers need not be rapid/ultra rapid, and there's good reasons for them not to be - i.e. being able to install more fast chargers instead.

Here's simple solution:
  • For anyone spending X amount (let' say 50 gbp) the single use barcode / QR code is printed on receipt. It would be valid for that particular day, maybe for next 2 hours or so (in order to stop digging rubbish bins for old receipts....)
  • Then you have barcode / QR Code scanner at charger. You scan your code at finish of charging.
  • If code is valid, the Charging session is free or heavily subsidised. whatever
  • Charging session should have a pre-autorisation on 60 gbp, 100 gbp or whatever on payment card anyway.
  • So if no code provided at end of charge - then full price paid.

look, simple, I just sorted this *sugar*..

In the US, some grocery stores give you credits when you buy gas at affiliated gas stations. Wonder if the same would work on EV charging? Free high speed charging may be asking too much. What if you got credit on your next grocery purchase?
We have a similar system over here, but it's actually geared towards people buying fuel. They buy fuel and use their loyalty card when paying, which in turn gives them a number of points that can ultimately be used in a variety of ways - either as a voucher code to use on next grocery shop, or other things.

Reactions: fholbert
My local Waitrose recently (6 months-ish ago I think) put in Shell Recharge 2 x 50kW Rapids and 6 x 22kW Type 2 AC

There are usually some cars charging there. They are situated right by the exit, which wasn't really a popular place to park, so seems like a good choice to prevent them being ICE'd

I don't know how many cars can use 22kW AC ... but that seems like a good compromise compared to 7kW (I also don't know how much they charge, couldn't find that Info online)

I can’t agree. If I’m going to get a meaningful charge at 7kw I’m going to have to spend at least a couple of hours charging. At Sainsbury’s or even at a retail centre I want to be in and out as soon as possible. 10 minutes on an ultra fast charger would be vastly preferable to hours on a 7kw.

Given that I rarely use public chargers and only do so out of real necessity the price for me is pretty much irrelevant.
22+ kW 3 phase AC (43 kW for old Zoe / Kangoo) or 50+ kW DC in large numbers might be an option, load sharing etc. From memory, many Teslas can do 11kW on 3 phase AC. Over time this may increase, but DC probablybetter..

Those sort of speeds should be OK for charging, certainly grazing enough to replace mileage.

And the price should be low, as this is what brings your customers. I suspect Sainsburys have misunderstood again (early experimenters with RFID tracking, "clubcard" and self-scanning) and competitors will think it through better.

Edit: Electricity prices are likely to go down in the future. Kit simplicity should be a major aspect, simple and lots of them. Sainsbury have overcomplicated things and probably bought wrong kit or engaged wrong supplier/consultancy.

Last edited:
Reactions: KennethS
Tescos makes an interesting case study. When it was free.. always abused. Now it’s a very fair 40ish p/kwh I’ve parked my car several times and left it overnight when away from home.

You have to take a fee to ensure the charger points a) aren’t abused; b) generate enough revenue to be maintained. Ice’ing just needs the parking company zealots to get in the game - and they are.

IMO every car park should have 7kW charge points.

IMO every car park should have 7kW charge points.

I think they should be the fastest that a car can charge on AC. I think that 7kW has been chosen as being comfortable for domestic supply on single phase, but Commercial sites will have 3-Phase available, so their car parks should use whatever is achievable (i.e. affordably) for max AC kW that cars will utilise - so perhaps 11kW would be better, or maybe EV manufacturers could be persuaded to fit 22kW - that would mean that car park charging (particularly for people without off-road home charging) would be a reasonable speed, without having to speed a lot of money on multiples of 100kW charger hardware.