Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Technically a salvage car purchaser isn't a Tesla customer.
But he could be a service customer for Tesla if they are not stupid to refuse servicing and selling parts. A restored salvage means less energy spent to build a new one and less waste for the planet. Isn't that the main idea, to reduce our footprint on climate and reduce waste?! Why scraping easily repairable cars ?

If it was easily repaired the car wouldn't have been totaled.
This is not true for all the cars. There are a lot of examples of cars with small damage, which were declared salvage. They are salvage simply because it does not make sense for insurance companies to repair them in Tesla body shops ! These body shops make offers way to high to repair them, so the insurance company decide to sell them as salvage.

There are tons of them on Copart right now that have very little damage that have been totaled out.
I just looked through most of em and the ones that didn't have major damage stunk of someone already having a go at fixing them (Like 30348338) Copart is well known for this kinda of scam where someone will take a horrible car (or one with a bricked battery), patch it up so it looks reasonable for the pics and try and resell it.

Technically a salvage car purchaser isn't a Tesla customer.

Nor is it even the "second" owner. The car is sold to the insurance company, who probably signs away ALOT of rights to the car (as a salvage title implies), knowing their literally only holding the title to move it to the copart lot and sell it.

At best you are the third owner, with no express guarantee in any form. They didn't take anything away from the car or the owner, they restricted access to THEIR network. Even in cases where they "disabled" the car (very early on in the salvage wars), they quickly reversed that decision knowing thats lawsuit grounds

Oh, this is a load of CRAP.

My first Tesla had the rear end hit, at a speed NOT SUFFICIENT to deploy any airbags. Because the car was owned in Michigan, where there are/were ZERO Tesla certified repair shops, the insurance company opted to total the car and sell it at auction. Let's just say I got quite the steal on my first P85 because of this (50% discount compared to a CPO price).

Oh, this is a load of CRAP.

My first Tesla had the rear end hit, at a speed NOT SUFFICIENT to deploy any airbags. Because the car was owned in Michigan, where there are/were ZERO Tesla certified repair shops, the insurance company opted to total the car and sell it at auction. Let's just say I got quite the steal on my first P85 because of this (50% discount compared to a CPO price).
There is an X on Copart right now that appears to have already been fixed once before that had damage that looks like it could literally be buffed out. Runs and drives, no airbags deployed, no other damage that a very minor sideswipe on the rear quarter. There are two other cars (and S and an X) that are listed as "Burn" as damage but the notes say that it's smoke damage from an external source. They both look like they just need to be washed.

There is an X on Copart right now that appears to have already been fixed once before that had damage that looks like it could literally be buffed out. Runs and drives, no airbags deployed, no other damage that a very minor sideswipe on the rear quarter. There are two other cars (and S and an X) that are listed as "Burn" as damage but the notes say that it's smoke damage from an external source. They both look like they just need to be washed.

I wasn't commenting on someone else's attempt to fix (and fail). Simply what my experience was.

There are a LOT of traditional repair guys that see the cars on auction and the damage is relatively minor and think "oh wow, I can flip that for a bundle". Where most of them get egg on their face is dealing with the electronics.

Reactions: N..8

In my job constantly cars are totaled for various reasons that have nothing to do with the state of damage but more to do with rental fees and parts availability and does the customer want it back. 70 percent of the time the decision is made by a adjuster sitting in his car saying no way am I dealing with this customer ( Send It ). Prime example bad hail storm rolled through my area hundreds of cars totaled for cosmetic reasons Non structural dents. How is a tesla with dents non structural now considered total or non supported k now I’m getting of topic point is it’s most of the time a subjective decision is made on the fly by a person with little blue collar experience. Now with that said not all insurance adjuster are in experienced just 70 percent of them it’s all number and profit and insurance companies cutting the bottom line to be competitive in there market.

I agree it's a bad move by Tesla but the numbers of people buying salvaged vehicles is tiny so I'm not sure how significant an impact this would have on the company.

Obviously the people buying the car don't agree with that assessment, especially those who think it's better than the S.

First thoughts on my Model 3 vs. my Model S
I wasn't just talking about salvage vehicles. Just wait until your Model 3 spends a year in the body shop for minor damage. Very common thing. It's all good until it's your car....

As for the mode 3 being better made/engineered, you could find any opinion to support any claim on the web. Go look at/drive one, they are flimsy.

And as to the $35k model 3? Lol. Ever heard of the $49kModel S? Yeah, what happened there? People are too gullible nowadays, especially with Elon promises....

Go look at/drive one, they are flimsy.
I have yet to see one in person but you're the first I've heard describe them in such a way. Other than panel gap issues on some early models, (which we also heard about with S and X), most reviews are fairly positive. I do expect at least some $35K models to be sold for a while, just as the "40"kWh S was sold for a while.

I have yet to see one in person but you're the first I've heard describe them in such a way. Other than panel gap issues on some early models, (which we also heard about with S and X), most reviews are fairly positive. I do expect at least some $35K models to be sold for a while, just as the "40"kWh S was sold for a while.
They are every where on the west coast now. I wasn't talking about panel gap issues. The quality of the materials looks very cheap compared to s/x. Then there is the looks. It's just not a good looking car.

I'm guessing it will be a dud when it comes to overall sales, especially when you factor in the body shop experience+SC experience. Tesla hasn't expanded service, and the workload is 3X what it was a while ago. A recipe for failure.

• Disagree
Reactions: appleguru
They are every where on the west coast now. I wasn't talking about panel gap issues. The quality of the materials looks very cheap compared to s/x. Then there is the looks. It's just not a good looking car.

I'm guessing it will be a dud when it comes to overall sales, especially when you factor in the body shop experience+SC experience. Tesla hasn't expanded service, and the workload is 3X what it was a while ago. A recipe for failure.
Have to go with 3 strikes, next batter up!
The quality of materials looks on a par with a Civic or Corolla. OK for the intended buyer.
Some love the model 3 looks, some do not. "It's just not a good looking car" is not a common opinion.
The SC here in Fremont has been expanded twice and the hiring effort is intense. Tesla is actively upgrading its SC and Ranger groups.

Have to go with 3 strikes, next batter up!
The quality of materials looks on a par with a Civic or Corolla. OK for the intended buyer.
Some love the model 3 looks, some do not. "It's just not a good looking car" is not a common opinion.
The SC here in Fremont has been expanded twice and the hiring effort is intense. Tesla is actively upgrading its SC and Ranger groups.
Civics or corollas don't cost $60k.

Reactions: GeorgeCM