Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage cars: Tesla permanently disabling SC from supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are right about the software change on the car. However, as they own and operate the SC network they can do whatever they want and deny the service to anyone for any reason.

Is the policy fair? That's a different question all together...
Access to the Supercharger was sold as a feature of the vehicle.

Tesla cannot legally take away access to the Supercharger unless Tesla re-purchases the vehicle and resells the vehicle without access to the Supercharger.

Tesla cannot legally take away access to the Supercharger unless Tesla re-purchases the vehicle and resells the vehicle without access to the Supercharger.

IANAL but probably they have some fine print in their TOC stating they can deny SC access any time they want. SC is after all a service they offer and operate. When I did some modifications to my older Hyundai they cut me off Sirius and BlueLink, and told me to essentially eat dirt. The lawyer told me they can do that as this is a service and they can discontinue it to anyone for any reason and nothing I can do.

I don't disagree with you on principal - salvage vehicles should be able to use SCs and honestly I don't get they don't want them even after inspection. However, from the legal standpoint they probably can say "no SC for you". If someone challenges that in a courtroom it will probably be a "win" in a sense that they will not flip the bit in the car but just check the banlist upon SC activation... Or they can pull an age-old trick and just rebrand the SC to something else and say "too bad, we never said you can use the new Mega Charger network".

IANAL but probably they have some fine print in their TOC stating they can deny SC access any time they want. SC is after all a service they offer and operate. When I did some modifications to my older Hyundai they cut me off Sirius and BlueLink, and told me to essentially eat dirt. The lawyer told me they can do that as this is a service and they can discontinue it to anyone for any reason and nothing I can do.

I don't disagree with you on principal - salvage vehicles should be able to use SCs and honestly I don't get they don't want them even after inspection. However, from the legal standpoint they probably can say "no SC for you". If someone challenges that in a courtroom it will probably be a "win" in a sense that they will not flip the bit in the car but just check the banlist upon SC activation... Or they can pull an age-old trick and just rebrand the SC to something else and say "too bad, we never said you can use the new Mega Charger network".
This falls under "right to repair".

I am not focusing on the legal aspects, I held Tesla and Elon in high esteem. I was their biggest advocate and they do this to me. This is about doing the right thing, not the legal thing which are often polar opposites. Insurance adjusters often salvage a car as a favor to the owner who wants to get out of high payments or some other reason and it has nothing to do with its reliability or safety. A reputable rebuild can be as good or better than the manufactured product that often gets recalled for safety issues. If Elon is doing this because he wants to sell more new cars, then my opinion of him and Tesla took a nose dive.

You are right about the software change on the car. However, as they own and operate the SC network they can do whatever they want and deny the service to anyone for any reason.

Is the policy fair? That's a different question all together...
No argument on sc. I’m not complaining. that’s their business. they can post a guard out front of every sc station to check vin and deny who they please. But they cannot mess with owner’s cars. If they’ve entangled themselves with putting the gate to sc into owner’s cars then that’s their mistake. Rebuilt titles from total loss vehicles was enacted by states well before Tesla was in business and they knew that.

It's 100% prevalent. You can get a history report on any VIN. It'll show brand or no brand on the title. Tesla combs through VINs of theirs and modifies, illegally, OTA, without permission of the owner, to a car they have not ownership entitlement to, the owner's car's feature to turn off SC.

Sorry. What I meant what how many cars are actually on this list. 80% of all salvage title? 30%?

Sorry. What I meant what how many cars are actually on this list. 80% of all salvage title? 30%?
They go thru 100% of all their vehicle VIN history reports annually or semi annually and check if it’s clean or branded and they turn off sc on 100% of those found with a branded title. Carfax or other is making *sugar* tons of money from Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam

That’s a good point besides their reaching into a car unwanted and uninvited and turning a switch.

Honestly, whatever we bitch or cry over here won't make any changes unless we start tweeting Elon Musk to reconsider his decision or team up to challenge it in the legal system .I think first we need to try through Twitter as he is highly active over there
Absolutely agree, and that was the purpose of my post, to get a group of people who were banned from SC for no good reason, and no reason has ever been given. Safety has never been given as the official reason by Tesla.

I would hate to resort to a legal action because I still want to give Elon and Tesla the benefit of the doubt. However, legal action would give us a platform and access to the court of public opinion. We would get widespread press coverage that is not in the best interest of Tesla. Of course, the legal cost for Tesla is nothing but the cost in bad press could be huge. I hate what O'Dowd is doing in California, running for senate so he can have a platform to ban FSD. He has a vendetta against Tesla. I don't want to do the same thing that O'Dowd is doing. But Tesla is doing to me, what O'Dowd is doing to Tesla. O'Dowd does not have the data to show that FSD is dangerous to the public and Tesla does not have the data to show that my mildly damaged car is dangerous to anyone especially after I have been using SC for 3 years now.

It’s theirs product and they do what they want. Including separating markets. Many companies do that to their products. If you don’t like it don’t buy Tesla or make your own product and control the policy on it.
This love it or leave it philosophy is wrong. Just like Twitter's policy that its their product, they are a private business, and can ignore free speech and the 1st amendment is wrong. I had no idea that a salvage title vehicle would be banned from Supercharging. Now, after 3 years of frequent SC use with no issues, I have been banned because they did a big audit of their VINs and I got caught. That is just plain wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Don’t. Unfortunately, Tesla has us shown time and again they do not care about their customers.
Well, if it is true that they don't care about their customers, then let's get the word out. Banning a Tesla owner from the Tesla network of SC for arbitrary and capricious reasons is extremely serious, just like Twitter banning free speech is extremely serious and should not be tolerated.

Again if it’s salvaged car they can do as they please.
Like Twitter, they can do as they please, or like Netflix they can do as they please, but at what cost in the court of public opinion? It is not just salvage titled cars being banned from SC but accumulated stories of bad customer service that will eventually catch up with Tesla, regardless of how much they dominate the market right now.

"IT'S THE SUPERCHARGERS, STUPID" In this video, the father and son team show why the Tesla supercharger network is the competitive advantage and why having a Tesla is better than other EV's. That is why I will not let my complaint go, I will continue to make noise about it until the policy is changed. To deny a Tesla owner access to their biggest benefit without good cause, is over the top unjust.

Really? That included lemon/branded title Tesla?
Not sure the nature of your question, but yes, they are banning all salvage/branded titled Teslas from using superchargers, forever. No reason has ever been given, it is just the way it is. This one size fits all policy also bans hail damaged cars that have been totalled, and does not look at each situation on a case by case basis.