Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sample? Updated auto pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Just driving down from Brisbane to Melbourne. The model 3 has just said I have updated auto pilot. I have not purchased this option. I just have the premium connectivity. Does anyone else have this is it a Tesla “try it out” thing? My app still shows enhanced autopilot and fad as option I could buy.

Going to have fun trying it out!

Reactions: AussieOwner
I just got it too....funny how they don't have a splah page saying you have been given 30 days for a free trial blah blah.....also a tad frustrating to have the free trial at this time of the year.....the 3 will sit in the garage and all the KMs will be driven in the X that has FSD but is limited to EAP.

Most people got a popup explaining it.
FB_IMG_1671774930054.jpg

I was at the Goulbourn Supercharger yesterday when I received the popup while on the way to see my sister in Kyabram (VIC) for Christmas.. Here is what I experienced on the remainder of the drive. Keep in mind that I never saw the value in paying the additional $10K for FSD or even the recent EAP. Thus, I'm not exactly a fan boy.

TLDR: I turned off Navigate on Autopilot after nearly 2 hours. I'll never pay for the current offering.

After turning on Summon and Navigate on Autopilot I set up the options, choosing the acknowledgement required for a lane change. I figured I needed to get used to the behaviour before getting confident enough for it to make its own decisions.

Driving on the Hume highway was annoying with NoA pinging on and off as it approached and departed one of the many cross roads. It took me a while to figure out how to confirm the lane change, but once I got the hang of it the process was straight forward. Unfortunately the car just wouldn't change lanes in a way that was natural enough for me. For example, it would come up behind a car and slow down significantly (more than 5 km/h) and still not overtake with no traffic in the right hand lane. Moving back to the left hand lane was not quick enough or the car just sat in the right hand lane after an overtake.

I had a couple of times when the car proceeded to move to the left hand lane and then started forcing itself back to the right hand lane, with no obvious cause. I can't remember if this was before I turned off NoA or after though.

Then there were the constant notifications of an impending lane change which I had to keep cancelling. We were driving straight to Gundagai, so there was no need to keep changing lanes.

After giving NoA a fair go over nearly 2 hours I decided to turn it off. It was a relief, with no more noises from the cross roads (the family was over it too) and having to cancel lane changes.

I was surprised to find that the car still performed a lane change when I turned the indicator on. I found this feature quite useful, as it allowed me to concentrate on what was going on around me and let the car do the maneuver. It also maintained a constant speed. On standard Autopilot I tend to leave the overtaking too late for the car and it assumes I'm going to crash into the car in front, slowing down, even with the indicator on when I'm already halfway across the lane! It's hardly worth paying for though, but it would be a welcome addition to standard Autopilot.

On Autopilot there were a few wobbles at highway exits, including one where I had to takeover. There are still far too many slowdowns or phantom braking episodes. I use TACC a lot on standard roads (avoiding speeding tickets) and it's the same situation there where I still find myself explaining to my family that it wasn't me.

I did this drive from the Gold Coast to Kyabram 2 years ago, albeit on different roads as Sydney was in lock down. I don't think there is a lot of difference in how Autopilot performs from that trip to my current one. It's still very usable, provided you know what to expect, and helps me arrive fresh. We did Gold Coast to Sydney in one day and I didn't even notice it (one Redbull may have helped!).

For reference, my car is a Model 3 Performance, purchased in Dec 2019. It's done about 41K kms and the software version 2022.44.25.2.

I was at the Goulbourn Supercharger yesterday when I received the popup while on the way to see my sister in Kyabram (VIC) for Christmas.. Here is what I experienced on the remainder of the drive. Keep in mind that I never saw the value in paying the additional $10K for FSD or even the recent EAP. Thus, I'm not exactly a fan boy.

TLDR: I turned off Navigate on Autopilot after nearly 2 hours. I'll never pay for the current offering.

After turning on Summon and Navigate on Autopilot I set up the options, choosing the acknowledgement required for a lane change. I figured I needed to get used to the behaviour before getting confident enough for it to make its own decisions.

Driving on the Hume highway was annoying with NoA pinging on and off as it approached and departed one of the many cross roads. It took me a while to figure out how to confirm the lane change, but once I got the hang of it the process was straight forward. Unfortunately the car just wouldn't change lanes in a way that was natural enough for me. For example, it would come up behind a car and slow down significantly (more than 5 km/h) and still not overtake with no traffic in the right hand lane. Moving back to the left hand lane was not quick enough or the car just sat in the right hand lane after an overtake.

I had a couple of times when the car proceeded to move to the left hand lane and then started forcing itself back to the right hand lane, with no obvious cause. I can't remember if this was before I turned off NoA or after though.

Then there were the constant notifications of an impending lane change which I had to keep cancelling. We were driving straight to Gundagai, so there was no need to keep changing lanes.

After giving NoA a fair go over nearly 2 hours I decided to turn it off. It was a relief, with no more noises from the cross roads (the family was over it too) and having to cancel lane changes.

I was surprised to find that the car still performed a lane change when I turned the indicator on. I found this feature quite useful, as it allowed me to concentrate on what was going on around me and let the car do the maneuver. It also maintained a constant speed. On standard Autopilot I tend to leave the overtaking too late for the car and it assumes I'm going to crash into the car in front, slowing down, even with the indicator on when I'm already halfway across the lane! It's hardly worth paying for though, but it would be a welcome addition to standard Autopilot.

On Autopilot there were a few wobbles at highway exits, including one where I had to takeover. There are still far too many slowdowns or phantom braking episodes. I use TACC a lot on standard roads (avoiding speeding tickets) and it's the same situation there where I still find myself explaining to my family that it wasn't me.

I did this drive from the Gold Coast to Kyabram 2 years ago, albeit on different roads as Sydney was in lock down. I don't think there is a lot of difference in how Autopilot performs from that trip to my current one. It's still very usable, provided you know what to expect, and helps me arrive fresh. We did Gold Coast to Sydney in one day and I didn't even notice it (one Redbull may have helped!).

For reference, my car is a Model 3 Performance, purchased in Dec 2019. It's done about 41K kms and the software version 2022.44.25.2.
You can tweak the settings a little, like more aggressive overtaking and not needing to confirm overtaking. I haven't tried these yet but keen to give it a go tomorrow.

Couldn't agree with you more....we have FSD (which is limited to EAP) on our Model X and I have base free AP on our Model 3 (performance, bought in Dec 19 also)....the only thing we like about the EAP on the Model X is the auto lane change when one taps the indicator stalk...that's it...we just don't use it for anything else. Summon is a gimmick, auto-park is shockingly slow and only 50% of the time actually finds the park and even with less aggressive settings on NoA it's is still frustrating being told to change lanes all the time (especially when the car cannot see as far in front as I can so I know changing back to the left lane is not worth it as I will be overtaking again in few hundred metres and nobody is behind me)....

I do hope the code base for FSD is vastly better for when we eventually get FSD here...however we do have a order on a new X and if it comes before we get FSD on the current X I'll be having strong words to Tesla about a refund.

I was surprised to find that the car still performed a lane change when I turned the indicator on.
I too was surprised to find out on the Tullamarine Freeway that this has been enabled, I never opted in to any of the EAP features. I used it for a bit however whilst I'm sure that it would be nice on a two lane freeway, on a multilane freeway like the Tullamarine it rejects the lane change if there is a car on the adjacent to the one you want to change into.

These features are meant to make use of the technology to make driving easier, however like TACC serve to add more stress as you wrestle the car. I can't get my head around how people pay for software like this or FSD and don't demand a refund.

With autosteer has anyone noticed it tends to keep closer to the left line rather than driver line?
I guess autosteer cannot be turned off on AP?
I attempted a few more times and while seems less jerky to activate now, the other day when activated, wipers came on automatically followed by lots of noises/alarms telling me it can’t be turned off. I turned everything off straight away
Too distracting …

Make sure she doesn’t get too impressed or you may be out 5100$😉

I bought a used Model 3 on 28/12... At the dealership it had this free trial. When I set up my Tesla account and transferred the vehicle to the new account, the free trial was removed. Anyone know whether this will be reinstated or how to get it back? I'd like to test for myself before I decide to purchase any upgrades. Shame it removed it..

I bought a used Model 3 on 28/12... At the dealership it had this free trial. When I set up my Tesla account and transferred the vehicle to the new account, the free trial was removed. Anyone know whether this will be reinstated or how to get it back? I'd like to test for myself before I decide to purchase any upgrades. Shame it removed it..
Register a service fault with the app, so basically setup an appointment because the free trial isnt working. I’m sure Nico out at tesla tonsley will be able to fix it for you. He’s a good guy. Its unlikely you will have to show up for the appointmnet, they tend to deal with things remotely well before then. They are closed until the 9th though. Not sure if there is a skeleton staff.