Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Diego Area Superchargers (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems weird to have 2 service centers so close together. I guess the number of Teslas in San Diego county is reaching critical mass.

I think it would make more sense for them to have one big location in the area, rather than two small ones.

Also, Del Mar and Carmel Valley seem like strange locations on their own, given there's not much in the way of repair shops in the area.

Carmel Valley makes sense IMO.
Compared to current location, it has easier freeway access especially for those along I5 and I15 corridors. It has a number of industrial properties on Sorrento Valley Road. Bonus: Its away from the gravel pit! :)

Sorrento Valley Road is not in Carmel Valley, at least not the parts of it that are still open. I think in Carmel Valley proper, Tesla will have a tough time finding an appropriate site.

I'd love to see it at Mission Valley. That's pretty much where all the main freeways come together. UTC mall would be another great location. Its interesting that typically SC's are not located in city centers, except this one is. It's one of the few SC's that breaks that rule, for obvious reasons. Escondido would be great, for me personally. But not so much for the folks coming up/down the 5 freeway. Hopefully we will find out soon.

Horton Plaza would actually make the most sense for an in town location...

Care to elaborate? Seems like it's quite far into the city and out of the way for many people, especially those leaving LA and needing to head west on the 8. It also seems like it'd make people want to go see a movie or go shopping while their car is charging, instead of just grabbing a coffee or a quick bite to eat.

I guess it all depends what the point of San Diego city supercharger is. Who would use it? Other than locals, I mean.

I could use it when I do business in San Diego, but not if it's at Horton Plaza. It'd be nice not to have to take the relatively long detour through SJC. It's only 10-15 miles extra, but it's always packed with traffic.

Somewhere near Miramar might be a good catch-all place. Locals using SC's, as you probably know, isn't their intended use.

Horton Plaza would actually make the most sense for an in town location...
Horton plaza parking is a pin to get in and out of, especially from someone from out of town. and it's not where near the freeways. If it's really for downtown use, just about and ACE parking lot would be easier to access.

But I think it should be near the freeways, so people passing through can us it. Mission Valley makes the most sense to me, it's reasonably close to the 163, 805, 15, 5 and 8 freeways.

My original prediction was Carlsbad Premier Outlet mall since it has most of the traits other SC's have. Mall, near the freeway, shops, etc.
But as someone pointed out, it's too close to SJC. Encinitas is supposed to have an electric charging stations at an old gas station. But I'm not so sure if it has other amenities Tesla wants. Mission Valley is very central but it's very crowded. Have ever tried to exit Fashion Valley Mall or Mission Valley Center during the holidays? It's crazy.

My new guess would be somewhere near Old Town (a la SJC). It's close to Seaworld, Downtown, shops and restaurants, and people can get to 5, 15, 805, 8, 163 etc. And my second guess would be Kearney Mesa area by old General Dynamics. It's near shops and restaurants and it's still central enough for out of town travelers.

Mission Valley is very central but it's very crowded. Have ever tried to exit Fashion Valley Mall or Mission Valley Center during the holidays? It's crazy.
In my experience, Carlsbad Outlet mall is far worse than Mission Valley Center. There is a 100% chance of ICEing there during the entire month of December.

I've literally driven around the entire mall parking lot for over 20 minutes at the Carlsbad Outlet and not found a single parking spot. At Mission Valley you can usually find something somewhere.