Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Santa Clara County retroactively Changing ESS Rules

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, I hope in like 50 years, homes will be so smart people will just hit up Home Depot... and come home with a couple extra batteries that they picked up on some Labor Day sale. They'll drop these bad boys into some slot in their garage to better use that clean on-prem generation kit they just bought the previous weekend. And of course PG&E will be disbanded as a relic of the old days when phones had cords and strip malls had Gamestops Blockbusters.

I am in the middle of this mess. Started the project in 2019 in unincorporated San Jose.

First the county required me to remove my water softener, so that there was no water near the powerwalls. Then they would not let us mount them in the same location as it was near a door to an outside storage room (no access to the house) and near a window that goes into a closet that is blocked by a built-in closet (shelves, drawers and a rod). We already had approved plans, but that does not seem to matter.

The only location left was the garage, so we put them on the left side and now they are saying we need bollards which will make the garage and/or driveway unusable as you can either put a car in the garage, or in the driveway but not both if the bollards are installed. If they had previously told us about the bollards, we would have put the powerwalls in a different location in the garage.

Based on this experience and the one I had putting solar on my roof in 2009, it seems like the rules change constantly (all of my panels are separately grounded for example) and are partly based on the person doing the inspection.

Solar Panel install just completed. It went a little too fast. 8:30am-1:30pm. 18 panels about 5 installers, three locations on my roof. As you can see from the photo, the stud finding expertise just wasn't quite there. Praying there water proofing skills were a little better. Just found out for the first time that the micro inverters cover 3 panels, not 1 as I was expecting, luckily my roof gets no shade. Just thought the microinverter thing was interesting, curious to know how long they've gone with the 3 panel version of the micro inverter...

IMG_6774.jpg

I am in the middle of this mess. Started the project in 2019 in unincorporated San Jose.

First the county required me to remove my water softener, so that there was no water near the powerwalls. Then they would not let us mount them in the same location as it was near a door to an outside storage room (no access to the house) and near a window that goes into a closet that is blocked by a built-in closet (shelves, drawers and a rod). We already had approved plans, but that does not seem to matter.

The only location left was the garage, so we put them on the left side and now they are saying we need bollards which will make the garage and/or driveway unusable as you can either put a car in the garage, or in the driveway but not both if the bollards are installed. If they had previously told us about the bollards, we would have put the powerwalls in a different location in the garage.

Based on this experience and the one I had putting solar on my roof in 2009, it seems like the rules change constantly (all of my panels are separately grounded for example) and are partly based on the person doing the inspection.
Santa Clara county sounds like permit/inspection hell. I live a shop hop from there and the inspectors are super chill.

Solar Panel install just completed. It went a little too fast. 8:30am-1:30pm. 18 panels about 5 installers, three locations on my roof. As you can see from the photo, the stud finding expertise just wasn't quite there. Praying there water proofing skills were a little better. Just found out for the first time that the micro inverters cover 3 panels, not 1 as I was expecting, luckily my roof gets no shade. Just thought the microinverter thing was interesting, curious to know how long they've gone with the 3 panel version of the micro inverter...

View attachment 727249
You may be referring to Mid Circuit Interrupters (MCI)? As far as I know, There arent microinverters meant for 3 modules at a time, but I'd be curious to know more. Was Telsa your installer?

Hope they attached it to the rafters properly after that picture was taken!! It's really not safe if not properly attached to the roof.

Anyone in California get Tesla to install a Powerwall within 3 feet of a bathroom window? The Tesla designer thought it was fine since the window was not "directly entering the dwelling unit” as defined in 2019 California Residential Code R327.4. However now inspection saying won't pass...

The inspector is probably correct in this case.

If the permit was pulled after July 1 2021, the new CRC R327.4 requires Powerwalls to be 36" from doors and windows which directly enter the dwelling unit. The dwelling unit certainly includes the bathroom. So not sure what the designer was thinking, tell them to read the definition of the dwelling unit.

Basically, unless that door or window leads to a garage, uninhabited basement, or other non-habitable space, then you need 36" clear from it to the ESS. An exception that the code does not yet recognize but some jurisdictions may accept, would be glazing with a fire protection rating.

The inspector is probably correct in this case.

If the permit was pulled after July 1 2021, the new CRC R327.4 requires Powerwalls to be 36" from doors and windows which directly enter the dwelling unit. The dwelling unit certainly includes the bathroom. So not sure what the designer was thinking, tell them to read the definition of the dwelling unit.

Basically, unless that door or window leads to a garage, uninhabited basement, or other non-habitable space, then you need 36" clear from it to the ESS. An exception that the code does not yet recognize but some jurisdictions may accept, would be glazing with a fire protection rating.
Thank you. Yeah the permit was pulled in August 2021. Some suggestions were that if we swap out the small window to a fixed (non-opening) window San Jose inspector might pass it... but not sure that's gonna fly.

Thank you. Yeah the permit was pulled in August 2021. Some suggestions were that if we swap out the small window to a fixed (non-opening) window San Jose inspector might pass it... but not sure that's gonna fly.
I doubt that flies in San Jose, but fire protection glazing might satisfy if you asked the inspector.

Regardless, that seems like more work than moving the Powerwalls.