Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SC Alignment Fix Experience - worth doing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of my MX 90D yesterday. Absolutely love it.

I did really go all out when I inspected the vehicle during delivery - had them note a few alignment issues and some other minor items (issue with aluminum on FWD trim, etc.).

Does anyone have experience getting alignment issues fixed post delivery by the SC? Any damage done during the re-alignment? Was it worth doing?

I really love the car as-is. Really not too concerned about a few millimeters here and there but would have been remiss if I didn't leave that option open (so I had them documented).

If I knew the car would come back even better I wouldn't hesitate to get it done... I am however a little cautious (and thankful) for the car in its current condition and would be upset if it came back with any other issues from trying to rip it apart to get a few millimeters more closely aligned.

Then again - maybe it is really easy to fix and I am over thinking this. Appreciate any thoughts.

I wouldn't bother. I took delivery in March, so a relatively early build. There were a few things that didn't line up exactly perfectly. Like you said, a few millimeters off here and there. But, everything worked perfectly and has since then. If something really bothers you then have them fix it. But if ain't really broke then...

Reactions: Finder and ModelX
I had issues with alignment on my car in 4 different places. I took it In to get fixed. It did take a couple of weeks to get the car back because they have to use a 3rd party body shop to do the work, but everything was fixed perfectly. If you decide to bring it in to fix the alignment then ask them to schedule the body shop work to be done and bring the car in to tesla a day or two earlier. That should help expedite the work and get it back to you much quicker.

I wouldn't bother. I took delivery in March, so a relatively early build. There were a few things that didn't line up exactly perfectly. Like you said, a few millimeters off here and there. But, everything worked perfectly and has since then. If something really bothers you then have them fix it. But if ain't really broke then...

I would like to second this, especially for minor misalignment, because no matter how perfect it starts with, after a few open/close of fwd, chances are some hinges won't stop in the exact same positions.

I got my X yesterday too and noticed slight mis-alignment on the driver side. I am contemplating getting it fixed but worry that the SC might make it worse. Do I really need to get it fixed? Probably not, but if I am paying $100k for a car, I do expect the car to be close to perfection in a reasonable way.

I also wonder why would the quality team let such mis-alignment pass through their checks! It's hard for them to miss (especially since they know that this is a common problem).

i already have an appointment so I might just see what they can do and not be picky about it. Surely they will just do whatever is obvious and leave the rest alone. Like everyone said it isn't that big of a deal so my main concern is any fixes making it worse.

The form we filled out has very generic info on it - such as "misalignment on chrome". Thinking they will probably just do what they can.

Don't think I would go so far as to have them take it to a body shop. Wouldn't want to be without he car for that long.

Anyone actually had any of the alignment items fixed in a 1-2 day service appointment? That is what they told me they would need when I left the SC.

Was at the SC today and talked through it with a Service Advisor. They encouraged me to let them know everything that is wrong and just let them fix it all.

I tried to explain I didn't want them to do too much - and that I loved the car despite the minor issues... but he said everything is complicated on these cars - just let them do what they need to do and they will make it perfect.

So - that is what I am going to do! Continually impressed with every interaction I have with Tesla. Very happy with the purchase and feel good that they will resolve any issues with the vehicle.

Appreciate the advice everyone.

I took my MX in a couple of weeks after delivery for some fit and finish issues. I had a couple of interior panels that didnt line up and they needed to be pulled off, have the fasteners changed out and re-installed to close the gaps. Tesla did keep the car for three weeks, to get parts I was told, but when I got it back, everything was fixed, no problem. They also provided a loaner from Enterprise Rentals for the time they had my car. My opinion is that I payed a lot of money for this car, and I know Id tend to focus on the little fit issues every time I drove it if I didnt at least try and get them corrected. Service Center folks didnt blink an eye on my requests.

Reactions: Finder
I recently had 12,000 mile service on my X. My doors were off just a bit and as we used the car more -realized that the front door could slightly contact the falcon wing door under normal operating conditions. The visual of the mis- alignment was minor and never bothered me too much - but the door contact was a problem. They made door adjustments - installed a new version of the pinch strips and now it works properly and looks to be a bit better aligned overall. I had other minor issues that I identified and they took care of all of them.

Bottom line - I suggest telling them everything you are concerned about and I believe they will be realistic about what they can and can not do. I am also thinking they are past the point where a service visit makes things worse rather than better.

Wait for a TESLA loaner and get it done.

Free miles while your car gets improved and washed and detailed. Why not?

Schedule appointment now and keep adding things you find in first month of ownership (i.e. I added my glovebox not opening, cracked windshield, etc.)

got my passenger fwd alignment issue fixed by a service ranger, we don't have a sc where I'm at, took him 10 minutes to adjust the latch and it was almost perfect. Still off, but a lot better then it was originally. While he was there, he fixed a squeak on my fwd on the driver side by putting some grease on one of the hinges and uploading the new firmware into my car. :thumbsup: First "service" experience went smooth.

Last edited:
Wait for a TESLA loaner and get it done.

Free miles while your car gets improved and washed and detailed. Why not?

Schedule appointment now and keep adding things you find in first month of ownership (i.e. I added my glovebox not opening, cracked windshield, etc.)
Thanks for the tip. My appointment is about a month from now - any tips on ensuring I get a Tesla loaner? Is it just based on availability or also special request/scheduling?

Thanks for the tip. My appointment is about a month from now - any tips on ensuring I get a Tesla loaner? Is it just based on availability or also special request/scheduling?
Ask. Sometimes they ask you if it's important to you. I made sure, and said I would wait if there was not one available. Delayed me a month, but might items were not vital/it was worth it.

I had issues with alignment on my car in 4 different places. I took it In to get fixed. It did take a couple of weeks to get the car back because they have to use a 3rd party body shop to do the work, but everything was fixed perfectly. If you decide to bring it in to fix the alignment then ask them to schedule the body shop work to be done and bring the car in to tesla a day or two earlier. That should help expedite the work and get it back to you much quicker.

Same thing here. Body shop did great work. However, if the alignment of the panels is only off by a little bit, and everything is working as it should, I probably wouldn't mess with it, unless it really bugs you.

I had some mis-alignment of my passenger FWD and some other fit and finish items. Originally, my SC (Marietta, GA) said that FWD alignments needed to be made by a body shop (this was back in June when I took delivery). In October, they said that the shop had gotten a lot of experience fixing these issues and that they now do it in house. I had the door adjusted and it looks much better. YMMV.

Again it depends on the solution to fix the alignment. I was a little nervous because our delivery was delayed a week as SC found alignment issue with rear hatch so our new X went to a body shop (before we even took delivery) and they had to disassemble the spoiler, hatch, take out glass, and then align and put it all back together. I was thinking it would never be the same but the body shop did do a great job, and hatch seems fine - although it makes a pop sometimes when opening (grin). Our FWDs are pretty much aligned but one side has a bigger gap, chrome is relatively aligned though. Going to bring it up but would only fix it if it doesn't mean doing too much this time at all.

It seems most Xs are not perfect still, not a problem though for operation and daily use. It seems that when you are really looking to find the misalignments (like at delivery) you see them more ;-). I think a minority of lucky few have probably perfectly aligned Xs everywhere.

So I received my X on March 1, 2017, and I never got around to addressing the driver FWD alignment issue near the rear wheel well. I asked the service centre on two occasions, and two different technicians said that the only way to adjust the door so it doesn’t stick out at the rear is by dismantling the entire door. There is no small adjustment that can be made, and he said when some customers have gotten into accidents, it has taken them sometimes 3 to 4 months to get the fit right. So far my doors have worked flawlessly, and I’m afraid that dismantling the doors may introduce other problems. I have attached a photo below. Should I push to have them adjust the doors? Have others heard of an easier way to properly align the doors?

0594B7BC-0CED-4806-9A4C-72C80BBF86FE.jpeg

This looks pretty typical of the X's I've seen around here (including my old one and my loaner). I wouldn't mess with it unless it really bothers you.

So I received my X on March 1, 2017, and I never got around to addressing the driver FWD alignment issue near the rear wheel well. I asked the service centre on two occasions, and two different technicians said that the only way to adjust the door so it doesn’t stick out at the rear is by dismantling the entire door. There is no small adjustment that can be made, and he said when some customers have gotten into accidents, it has taken them sometimes 3 to 4 months to get the fit right. So far my doors have worked flawlessly, and I’m afraid that dismantling the doors may introduce other problems. I have attached a photo below. Should I push to have them adjust the doors? Have others heard of an easier way to properly align the doors?

View attachment 329679

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA