Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SCCA Autocross Class for the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here are the prototype front camber bushings that borg motorsports has been working on. With these and my slotted rear arms I now have a good amount of negative camber and am ASP legal.
20200306_134127.jpg

The lack of basic knowledge is stunning. When searching through the Fastrack issues I notice this gem:

#28157 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor
Thank you for your input. The SAC feels all variations of the Model 3 Performance are appropriately classed at this time.​

No, that isn't from 2 years ago. That was in March. Everything is a "Performance" or something?

The funny thing is, that was in response to a letter I sent :) I was asking them to put the Performance Stealth version in AS or BS. Wishful thinking, I know. I had done a lot of comparisons to the nationals times and the car really was a good fit in BS (esp when you compare the times to AS or SS), but oh well. I am done lobbying...Time to just put the hammer down in SS and fight the good fight.

• Funny
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
The funny thing is, that was in response to a letter I sent :) I was asking them to put the Performance Stealth version in AS or BS. Wishful thinking, I know. I had done a lot of comparisons to the nationals times and the car really was a good fit in BS (esp when you compare the times to AS or SS), but oh well. I am done lobbying...Time to just put the hammer down in SS and fight the good fight.
AS or BS is crazy though after the HP bump. The stealth is faster or as fast as the +

Hi All,

I'm hoping to restart some good Autox discussion - I now have a handful of races with my M3 Stealth, and I'm "fighting" in the SS class but I'm also fighting for grip. My biggest argument with this car NOT being in SS is that no matter what upgrades you download, you aren't going to download wider wheels - And that is what this car needs more than anything. My 255-width RE71's are not very happy with me.

Anyway, in the search for more grip and fewer tenths in the SS class, what are you finding is working?
Bigger front bar?
Bigger rear bar?

Right now my torque split is at the 45/55 with stability currently at -3. What have others found?

Reactions: superflyrolla
From Sunday, 5/54 in raw... yes I suck at driving still lol. Got gangbanged by a 2 driver GT3 in SS... but if you look at the time difference so did everybody else.

255/40/18 RE71R not happy, need camber.

Was getting a pretty loud clunk from the front under heavy braking... I tightened the lower control arm bolts last night as MPP said that's a symptom of them coming loose... got probably 1/4 of a turn to get to 90ft/lbs we'll see if anything changes.

upload_2020-7-29_9-5-18.png

So here are the prototype front camber bushings that borg motorsports has been working on. With these and my slotted rear arms I now have a good amount of negative camber and am ASP legal.
View attachment 545867

Any update on these? How are they working out? I am looking at getting MPP Coilovers but the rest of the stuff is above my budget/willing to spend... these seem like they could be a good option

Hi All,

I'm hoping to restart some good Autox discussion - I now have a handful of races with my M3 Stealth, and I'm "fighting" in the SS class but I'm also fighting for grip. My biggest argument with this car NOT being in SS is that no matter what upgrades you download, you aren't going to download wider wheels - And that is what this car needs more than anything. My 255-width RE71's are not very happy with me.

Anyway, in the search for more grip and fewer tenths in the SS class, what are you finding is working?
Bigger front bar?
Bigger rear bar?

Right now my torque split is at the 45/55 with stability currently at -3. What have others found?

In SS I believe you can go up to 9.5” rim and any tire size. Offset must be within 7mm of stock 35et, but you can run spacers. I would go RE-71 275/35/18 on a 18x9.5 +35et. I’m confident they will fit without a spacer. This will give you a lot more grip compared to your 255.

My front sway is full soft and rear full stiff.

My autox track mode settings are either 50/50 pwr distribution or 45/55 and -1 to -2 on stability.

• Disagree
Reactions: superflyrolla
In SS I believe you can go up to 9.5” rim and any tire size. Offset must be within 7mm of stock 35et, but you can run spacers. I would go RE-71 275/35/18 on a 18x9.5 +35et. I’m confident they will fit without a spacer. This will give you a lot more grip compared to your 255.

My front sway is full soft and rear full stiff.

My autox track mode settings are either 50/50 pwr distribution or 45/55 and -1 to -2 on stability.

Factory width in all Street classes. 8.5 is the limit. David Marcus was running a 265 on a 8.5 wide wheel when he won the national championship in BS last year.

Hi All,

Bigger front bar?
Bigger rear bar?

I did a front Eibach bar ran it stiff at the last auto x and I was super fast. I like it but don't know how it compares to a bigger rear?
I like 45/55 or 50/50 best. stability -1 to -3 depending on how I'm driving.
also 265 on 19" and I finished them off completely flat to slicks and no cords. flipped them on the tires at some point.

Reactions: TexasTeslaRacing
From Sunday, 5/54 in raw... yes I suck at driving still lol. Got gangbanged by a 2 driver GT3 in SS... but if you look at the time difference so did everybody else.

255/40/18 RE71R not happy, need camber.

Was getting a pretty loud clunk from the front under heavy braking... I tightened the lower control arm bolts last night as MPP said that's a symptom of them coming loose... got probably 1/4 of a turn to get to 90ft/lbs we'll see if anything changes.

View attachment 570199

Those are some fast guys you ran against in SS (I have seen Ben run really well in SSR). This past weekend I had a nasty "Clunk" under heavy braking and I think it was actually my shock bottoming out (it was a concrete down hill section).

Your 1.5s delta from the front SS cars represents what I would expect out of our cars in SS. At the Champ Tour on a longer course against some good competition, I was within 1-1.5s of legit SS cars (GT4, GT3, C8 Corvette). My overall times would have had me 3rd or 4th in BS on raw time (two of the people who had faster combined times in BS are reigning national champions).

I'm starting to gripe - I'm not holding my breath the SCCA will class the car back where it more likely belongs.

• Informative
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Maybe we petition for a track

Are you allow to use the Zero-G track rims and tires? Those are 9” wide rims.

For street class (SS), they have to be 8.5" wide. I had thought about reaching out to the SCCA to see if they would allow a 9" because of the dealer-installed track package, but I am 99% sure they will say "no" (if they said "yes", they would open up pandora's box for all other car brands who offer a slightly wider optional wheel).

Those are some fast guys you ran against in SS (I have seen Ben run really well in SSR). This past weekend I had a nasty "Clunk" under heavy braking and I think it was actually my shock bottoming out (it was a concrete down hill section).

Your 1.5s delta from the front SS cars represents what I would expect out of our cars in SS. At the Champ Tour on a longer course against some good competition, I was within 1-1.5s of legit SS cars (GT4, GT3, C8 Corvette). My overall times would have had me 3rd or 4th in BS on raw time (two of the people who had faster combined times in BS are reigning national champions).

I'm starting to gripe - I'm not holding my breath the SCCA will class the car back where it more likely belongs.

For sure, SS is hot around here. Ben is a great driver and when he showed up to drive Eric's GT3 I knew I was in trouble, I prefer him to stay in SSR with his GS lol. Colton in his SS Alfa 4C was up running with the Finger Lakes region this past weekend or I'm sure I woulda gotten smacked around by it too lol.

I'm thinking of going to ASP just because there are slower people there... LOL