Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question for those of you who got the full MCU (not just touchscreen) replacement. Ever since mine was replaced I am unable to unlock the car from the app. I am still able to start climate, lock the car, enable keyless driving, etc... Unlocking is the only thing that doesn't work from the app. Anyone else having this issue?
Yup. I am having that problem too after replacing the MCU for the yellow bar problem.

You may want to call ahead because my replacement is on order with no scheduled delivery date yet. If you only tell them when you go for your first appointment they do not have these in stock.

I'm getting a tire rotation tomorrow (a late midway point - probably more typical 7500 miles) so I'm a ways off from the 12.5k. I'll just give them a call a month or two before I think I'll need to come in and go from there.

Just talked to Tesla support on the phone. The guy I talked to could talk to the car but not unlock it. He hadn't heard of this as a trending problem. He passed it on to engineering to look into. I mentioned that at least two other recent MCU replacement customers have the same problem. He said they'd get back to me in a few days, lots of the engineering staff is on vacation now. I'll let you folks know what they say.

I got the yellow frame after the car had a rapid change of temperature here in North Carolina. You other guys who have the yellow border, can you remember if there was a sudden temperature / humidity change that could have caused condensation around the touch screen?

I got the yellow frame after the car had a rapid change of temperature here in North Carolina. You other guys who have the yellow border, can you remember if there was a sudden temperature / humidity change that could have caused condensation around the touch screen?
I have the discoloration as well. I don't recall any really rapid changes of temperature. We have had record-breaking heat this past summer but our S dealt with hot summers for a few years and never had an issue.

My car has been in the shop since Wednesday. I alerted them to the unlock problem which they knew nothing about and asked them to test it after the MCU was replaced. In addition to the MCU replacement they’re doing:

- fix rear passenger window alignment (not flush to the car when closed)

- replacement of both side view mirror motors (driver side would stick half way out sometimes). They admitted this was a known issue and the part had been upgraded since my build.
They broke a clip on the rear mirror cover and had to order a new one which comes in Monday after which it needs to be painted so soonest I’ll see my car back is Wednesday (1 week after initial drop off)

- overall vibration issue (present even after all 4 tires were balanced)

- assess overall performance issue (my 100D loaner is noticeably faster and more responsive at all speeds even though there should only be 0.10 second difference)

I have the yellow bar problem. First problem for the car. Just started a few weeks ago. S100D, March 2017, probably one of the first. 13k miles.

Should I ask that it be fixed (while they appear to be fixing)? Or wait a while so that it is fixed later in the warranty (giving me a newer screen when warranty expires).

I have the yellow bar problem. First problem for the car. Just started a few weeks ago. S100D, March 2017, probably one of the first. 13k miles.

Should I ask that it be fixed (while they appear to be fixing)? Or wait a while so that it is fixed later in the warranty (giving me a newer screen when warranty expires).
I'm going to get mine replaced now, so next time it fails I will still be in warranty.

I noticed the discoloration on my screen a few weeks after I got my Model X. It was an inventory car transferred from Miami to Charlotte. There was no significant climate change in Charlotte over the time it yellowed, but there was obviously a change coming from Miami to here.

It's also possible that I was just so excited about the car that I didn't notice it being discolored from the start, but I usually notice that kind of thing.

I had the same dilemma, as the screen is working perfectly fine otherwise. Since I mentioned it to SC (getting some other minor things addressed under warranty) they already ordered a new screen for me, so I am getting a replacement. Will report back after I collect my car.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
My X (03/2017 built) has too developed the gold ring around the LCD. Happened in a few months of delivery, the summer of 2017. I reported the issue in December but still waiting for the new LCD to come in.

For those who can't lock/unlock their car via official Tesla phone app after replacing screen/MCU. Just email tesla support and they were able to reset it for me. Local service center may not have any clue if this happens.

I had no problem unlocking my car via the app after my MCU was replaced.

The vibration issue was due to the foam inside one of the tires separating from the tire itself. This is the first instance they’ve seen on the Goodyear Eagle Touring tires. Evidently it’s a known issue on the 22” Pirelli tires used on the X. They ended up swapping all 4 tires out for Michelin Primacy without the foam at no charge. I don’t notice any difference in road noise and I’m very happy with the performance.

Just got my MX back from the Dublin Service Center. March 2017 build, got yellowing around the screen in November, finally got the part in a week ago. One day turnaround, they said it was just a screen replacement but the leather trim around the glovebox also got changed out. The plastic trim over the top of the screen is a little bulgy and overall it might be a little bit worse in alignment but nothing obvious at all.

App seems to be able to unlock the car, at least the app doesn’t complain, though I didn’t actually check the car. The car lost its trip A and B state, but no other settings seem to be different from where I left it.

This date range for build date seems to indicate a bad batch for sure. Tesla has been 100% great about addressing issues, which is great. It might be slightly better to have no issues at all though.

Side note, saw a Model 3 in for service at dropoff and another in for service at pickup.

Reactions: Brian-MS90D