Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Protective Glass Necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a ton of aftermarket accessories available for Tesla cars. One thing I have always done for my smartphones is add a very thin tempered glass cover over the screen. I'm wondering if such a thing has any benefit for the touchscreen in all Teslas? It seems to me that the Tesla screen (unlike the cellphone in my pocket) has almost no chance of being scratched or damaged in normal use.

I put one on, mainly to protect the screen from my wife's purse that she can fling around like a weapon.....
HA! So true.
Long time ago, I noticed all these small holes in the tint on the drivers side window. Couldn't figure it out until I witnessed my ex was in the habit every time she took off the seatbelt would just toss it toward the door, assuming it would just retract normally. But before it did, the buckle was hitting the glass hard enough to pierce the tint. Just another straw toward her being my "ex".

Upvote 0
HA! So true.
Long time ago, I noticed all these small holes in the tint on the drivers side window. Couldn't figure it out until I witnessed my ex was in the habit every time she took off the seatbelt would just toss it toward the door, assuming it would just retract normally. But before it did, the buckle was hitting the glass hard enough to pierce the tint. Just another straw toward her being my "ex".
I'm big on glare reduction. I'm a new MS owner, and I just ordered a matte screen protector for less glare and fingerprint reduction as well.
I'm debating on a dash cover as well. Not attractive, but sooo much less glare! May try a felt vinyl instead, we'll see.

Reactions: Scubamikey
Upvote 0
Wow. 10 responses, and only ONE has long-term experience with the screen protector. I'd say, 168k miles, and a "naked" screen w/o issues, is the answer the OP was seeking.
(HAHA...I put one on. Protection from fingerprints? Nope...)

Upvote 0
It seems opinions are divided on this question. I haven't received my car yet, but it should be fairly soon. I think I'll wait awhile until I see how bad the glare and fingerprints annoy me. I have sat in a few Teslas without a screen protector and did not notice any issues with the naked screen. Fingerprints can be wiped off with glass cleaner. As far as I know the screen can be tilted slightly as needed to deal with glare. $70 seems a lot to spend insuring against breakage that has so little chance of happening inside a car.

Upvote 0
It seems opinions are divided on this question. I haven't received my car yet, but it should be fairly soon. I think I'll wait awhile until I see how bad the glare and fingerprints annoy me. I have sat in a few Teslas without a screen protector and did not notice any issues with the naked screen. Fingerprints can be wiped off with glass cleaner. As far as I know the screen can be tilted slightly as needed to deal with glare. $70 seems a lot to spend insuring against breakage that has so little chance of happening inside a car.
The screen is fixed in place. You can purchase an aftermarket kit to make it swivel.

Upvote 0
I carry diapers around in my car, and there's usually one on the floor behind me. I can grab one and wipe the screen in one second, maybe two, but I don't need to do it while driving. I've never owned a "screen protector" for my car or my phone, and neither one has fingerprints on them. Don't know why I'd need one, but we don't eat in the car, and the map doesn't need me messing with it.

Reactions: teca01
Upvote 0