Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screw in Tire, Replace or Take a Chance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up a screw on the road yesterday and it's close to the sidewall. It broke off on the way back home and I let it sit overnight. I did the old soap & water test this morning and it's not leaking air at all. I'm not sure if it actually punctured the tire or went in side ways. Anyway, I have 6/32s left on all four tires. Is it dangerous to drive around this this screw lodged in the tire, could it blowout? OE tires are so expensive buying two is like buying four DWS 06s. If I don't let it go, does anyone have recommendations?

Attachments

• C8F9B1AE-B312-454B-AF16-5F5B1565C16A.jpeg
    C8F9B1AE-B312-454B-AF16-5F5B1565C16A.jpeg
    390.2 KB · Views: 333
  • ECFBECA4-C785-4374-BAB6-29EBEEADCD61.jpeg
    ECFBECA4-C785-4374-BAB6-29EBEEADCD61.jpeg
    609.2 KB · Views: 222
I would certainly not drive on the screw for long, that's not a permanent solution. Since it's still on the thread portion I believe it could be fixed with a patch. You were luckier than me, I had two screws last autumn, one like yours and one in the sidewall. Had to throw away my tires a month or two earlier, changing all four.

Reactions: AquaY
I would definitely back out the bit that is in there. Then see if it is leaking. After that, it becomes a judgement call for you. In the life of a tire, there are going to be punctures into the rubber that do not penetrate that you will probably never notice. It could well behave as one of those for the remainder of your tire's life - or it could give you a problem in a few days. I wouldn't expect it to blow out, but more likely leak if it is going to give you problems.

As for a replacement suggestion - haven't had to figure that out yet.

The tire is the only part of the car that actually contacts the ground, and is what you are actually "driving on".

Even if a bunch of strangers on the internet say " oh yeah leave it in there it will be fine", are you really considering leaving a foreign object in the tires that are carrying a car weighing more than 4,000 pounds, that can do 0-60 in just over (or under, if you have the acceleration boost 4 seconds?

Why are you talking about replacing 2 tires with a screw in one? These cars do not have a transfer case or anything, so the normal AWD adage of "replace both on the same axle" doesnt apply.

EDIT: I should say that I am not saying you cant either attempt to fix it yourself, or get it fixed someplace else. I am saying what you cant do is just "leave it there and hope". Address it, in some way, either removing the screw and examining, repairing the tire if repairable, or replacing the tire if not (the one tire).

Last edited:
Picked up a screw on the road yesterday and it's close to the sidewall. It broke off on the way back home and I let it sit overnight. I did the old soap & water test this morning and it's not leaking air at all. I'm not sure if it actually punctured the tire or went in side ways. Anyway, I have 6/32s left on all four tires. Is it dangerous to drive around this this screw lodged in the tire, could it blowout? OE tires are so expensive buying two is like buying four DWS 06s. If I don't let it go, does anyone have recommendations?
I got a nail or screw in my M3 LR tire right after I got my car new last year. I had it plugged for free from my local tire shop and I've had no problems 10 months and 17,000 miles later.

Remove the screw and put in a plug. Tire shops will do this for like $20. You can get the kit to do it yourself for probably $13.

Plugs that close to the sidewall are a bad idea. Plugs in general end the speed rating on the tire. To preserve it, there are plug and patch procedures and there are reasons they limit what parts of the tread you can do that repair on.

If he removes it and it is not leaking, is actually puncturing the tire to put a plug in a good idea...?

It looks flush below the raised treads so not going to be easliy removed without taking the tire off the rim. If it were me, I would fill it with max air pressure and check for leaks. If none then restore to original pressure and don't worry about. If it ever fails it will occur as a slow leak and unlikely a blow-out. Tesla will give you a warning if the pressure starts getting low. You will likely have time to drive to a shop and get more air. If you're handy, get yourself a tire plug repair kit and a portable tire compressor to keep in the car. I've plugged 3 screws in my model y daily driver and on many previous cars. For me, simple plug repairs have lasted the life of the tire without ever failing again. That said, if you have the money and the time take it in for a patch repair. But don't be supprised if they tell you it is too close to the side-wall and try and sell you a new tire. YMMV, but that is what >I< would do.

Plugs that close to the sidewall are a bad idea. Plugs in general end the speed rating on the tire. To preserve it, there are plug and patch procedures and there are reasons they limit what parts of the tread you can do that repair on.

If he removes it and it is not leaking, is actually puncturing the tire to put a plug in a good idea...?

I can't imagine removing a screw would not leak. The tire is effectively ruined already. I certainly wouldn't leave it in.

Whether or not it's too close to the sidewall for a plug, I don't know. I'd take it to a tire shop and let them figure it out.

If you want/need to replace it, and don’t want to spring for 1-2 new tires, you could check Ebay for lightly used tires that roughly match your existing tires’ tread depth.

I just bought 2 used Michelin Primacy MXM4’s with ~6/32” tread for $100 each. I.e., I got ~2/3 of a new tire’s tread life for ~1/3 the cost.

This is my first time buying used tires and I wasn’t 100% sure what to expect, but so far so good. I carefully inspected them after delivery and couldn’t find any defects.

no tire shop I've been to (or dealer for that matter) would patch a tire with a hole that close to the sidewall, assuming the object went all the way through.

personally, I would have a new tire ordered and/or take it to a shop that has the tire you want, ask them to remove the object and see if it leaks. if it does, then just replace right then and there.

If you want/need to replace it, and don’t want to spring for 1-2 new tires, you could check Ebay for lightly used tires that roughly match your existing tires’ tread depth.

I just bought 2 used Michelin Primacy MXM4’s with ~6/32” tread for $100 each. I.e., I got ~2/3 of a new tire’s tread life for ~1/3 the cost.

This is my first time buying used tires and I wasn’t 100% sure what to expect, but so far so good. I carefully inspected them after delivery and couldn’t find any defects.
My buddy has 4 new MXM4’s he needs to get rid of. He bought take new offs for snows and had the OEM tires removed. He was about to use them and he traded his Model 3 for a Y. They are 2018 tires. He is to lazy to ship them or list them. Westborough MA if any one wants them. Bet you he’d sell all 4 for $400 if someone picks them up.

Not to steal the thread but since the tire guys are already here...

Has anyone dealt with a bubble on the sidewall of the OEM 20" Pzero's?
here's a pic... PSI has not been affected.

View attachment 793709

SIDEWALL BULGES​

A sidewall bulge is a bubble, or protrusion, in the sidewall of a tire.

If we spot a bulge on a new tire, it typically indicates that the tire has a manufacturer defect. Bulges or bubbles are typically caused by a tear in the internal sidewall structure, allowing air to work its way into the sidewall plies, causing the bubble. If your tire(s) have a sidewall bubble, it should be removed from service and sent back to the manufacturer ASAP.

If the bulge appears after time in service, it’s typically a sign of damage within the sidewall plies. This can be caused by hitting anything from potholes or curbs to other road debris. In this case, the sidewall can become pinched, causing a bulge to appear in the tire sidewall. Lower profile tires are more susceptible to sidewall bulges because the shorter sidewall does not flex, or absorb bumps as effectively, as a tire with a taller sidewall.

Sidewall bulges indicate structural damage and can’t be repaired. Since there’s a risk of tire failure, we recommend removing the tire from service immediately. If you install your spare, it is a good idea to deflate the damaged tire before placing it inside your vehicle.

Sidewall Bulges