Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Secret word for configuring Homelink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The instructions seem straightforward enough, and most have said that they configured theirs easily, but I have tried with two clickers (for different doors) and struck out with both.

It says you may have to hold the button for up to 30 seconds. True? I am not exactly using a stopwatch, but it felt like I was holding it long enough, and nothing.

It says to point at the front bumper. Point how? Down, up, at center, corner? From how far away? I tried both up close, with no distance, and from 4 feet away.

It says I may need fresh batteries. That would be a bummer, as one of the clickers I can't even open, and once opened, it probably takes those large pill batteries, that will need to be obtained.

Has anyone had the same challenge and how did you solve it?

The instructions seem straightforward enough, and most have said that they configured theirs easily, but I have tried with two clickers (for different doors) and struck out with both.

It says you may have to hold the button for up to 30 seconds. True? I am not exactly using a stopwatch, but it felt like I was holding it long enough, and nothing.

It says to point at the front bumper. Point how? Down, up, at center, corner? From how far away? I tried both up close, with no distance, and from 4 feet away.

It says I may need fresh batteries. That would be a bummer, as one of the clickers I can't even open, and once opened, it probably takes those large pill batteries, that will need to be obtained.

Has anyone had the same challenge and how did you solve it?
I crouched down and pointed it towards the center 6” away.

Fresh batteries are key (no pun intended). Clicker right up against the middle of the front bumper. Some garage openers require you to press a program button on the opener (the actual base unit) itself as one of the final steps.

• Helpful
Reactions: ponzu
FWIW I had 2 garage door openers, one very old one and one only 3-4 years old. when I got my m3 I tried homelink with the newer one - it wouldn't work. by coincidence the old opener died. when I had overhead door come out to replace it, the guy also replaced the controller for the other one. now they are both easily connected to homelink. his comment was that their newer controllers emit a stronger signal and work much better with homelink.

• Informative
There is a learn button on the opener. Do I press it instead or in addition to the clicker button? Obviously, can't point that toward the bumber or bring it near. That's okay?
My garage door opener is about 12 years old.
Positioned Car outside of garage, but nose towards garage door about three feet from door.
I crouched down eye level with bumper.
Aimed remote directly towards, six inches from, and level with, bumper.
Once headlights flashed I pressed learn button on opener and followed on screen instructions. Tested cars ability to open and close door.
I then went to community gate. Repeated steps for remote control. Headlights flashed. Tested cars ability to open and close gate.

• Informative
I couldn't get my 3 to recognize one of my garage door remotes, even with fresh batteries. It recognized the other remote right away.

Maybe buy a brand new remote for your door? If the 3 doesn't recognize the new one then return it.

Also do you have a keypad for your garage door? Have you tried getting the 3 to recognize it? I was going to take mine off the wall and try it I couldn't get my second remote recognized.

IMG_0028.jpg

I couldn't get my 3 to recognize one of my garage door remotes, even with fresh batteries. It recognized the other remote right away.

Maybe buy a brand new remote for your door? If the 3 doesn't recognize the new one then return it.

Also do you have a keypad for your garage door? Have you tried getting the 3 to recognize it? I was going to take mine off the wall and try it I couldn't get my second remote recognized.

View attachment 315778
No keypad, but I am thinking about adding a keyless entry to my house doors because why carry the key now.

I crouched down and pointed it towards the center 6” away.
Good post. One of my two openers worked right away. The other one didn't (they are the same brand and age). It was only days later that I got the second one to register by kneeling down and holding it relatively close towards the bumper. I can't explain why one worked standing, relatively far away from the bumper while the other one required me to be closer and at a lower angle but they are both working now. YMMV.

Reactions: Dana1