Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog See the “Smooth as Silk” Autopilot Update in Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_video link=”https://vimeo.com/221199071″ video_title=”1″][vc_column_text]The “smooth as silk” Autopilot algorithm promised by Elon Musk is beginning to roll out to Tesla’s equipped with Autopilot 2.0.

Model S owner James Hansbert published a video of the new firmware (17.22.46) in action and offered some first impressions, including:

Some “dancing” between lines, but better at tracking lanes through intersections where lane are missing lines

No problems in rain

Smooth braking at traffic lights

Difficulty getting Autopark parallel parking to detect open spots

Hansbert also commented on two new features highlighted in the release notes:

Autopark: Perpendicular Parking

To make it easier to park in a variety of situations, Model S can now also back up into perpendicular spaces using Autopark. Drive completely past the space at no more than 10 mph until the ‘P’ appears in the instrument panel. Then use the same Autopark functions as in parallel Autopark – starting canceling, pausing, resuming, and so on.

Display Brightness

With Display Brightness, you can clearly see the touchscreen and instrument panel throughout the day and night. This feature adjusts screen brightness based on your Model S surroundings. It also learns from your preferences: if you adjust the brightness manually, Display Brightness uses your update to make future adjustments.

Display Brightness is enabled by default. To disable, uncheck Auto-adjust in Controls > Displays > BRIGHTNESS & MODES.

A wide release of the firmware is expected this week.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column][/vc_column][vc_column][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Also would prefer to see what it does on the freeway. As to why people use it on local/undivided roads, it's because that's how Tesla has marketed it. Don't you remember seeing the FSD video? Tesla's EAP description included local roads. Never did Tesla suggest use of EAP was restricted to freeways. If that were the case, they could easily make it so in their firmware and issue us all refunds.

You're using a bit of revisionist history here but that's not terribly surprising coming from you...

The video didn't really impress me at all... Tesla clearly has a long way to go before it's system can reliably handle all of the driving scenarios one encounters... Granted freeway driving is much, much easier than two lane driving with multiple intersections and other lane shifts and markings that accompany that.

Jeff

I'd rather this not derail into a highway vs local AP debate. We've had this in many threads and I'm guessing someone is already preparing screenshots of various manual snippets and whatnot.

At any rate, we can probably agree that as-is, the way EAP/AP1 handles local surface roads is not great. This video is a good demonstration of that. But the subtext is that this video discredits the claim of "silky smooth" control algorithm improvements, but for me, it doesn't quite do that yet. If we see AP2 erratically hunting on a freeway or losing track of curves, then that's more of evidence that 17.22.46 is more hype than fact.

But for now, I eagerly await more videos and impressions of this update :)

Now thats a reasoned response.

You're using a bit of revisionist history here but that's not terribly surprising coming from you...

The video didn't really impress me at all... Tesla clearly has a long way to go before it's system can reliably handle all of the driving scenarios one encounters... Granted freeway driving is much, much easier than two lane driving with multiple intersections and other lane shifts and markings that accompany that.

Jeff

Snide posts without any substantive evidence to the contrary doesn't surprise me coming from you. I agree with you that Tesla has a long way to go, freeway or otherwise, in their immature autopilot.

Speaking only for me... I've grown tired of the same members who constantly bash Tesla like jilted spouses on every single thing that comes up...

Jeff

That's what happens when a company screws over its customers. People like me are going to be vocal about it. It is my personal responsibility to make sure others do not make the same mistake I did. I wish someone had done so for me, but I don't think anyone knew other than Tesla.

That's what happens when a company screws over its customers. People like me are going to be vocal about it. It is my personal responsibility to make sure others do not make the same mistake I did. I wish someone had done so for me, but I don't think anyone knew other than Tesla.

Would you like some cheese with that whine??? Tesla didn't screw you over, what a complete and total lie.

I wish people like you would be banned from this place but alas, that's not my call obviously...

Jeff

Would you like some cheese with that whine??? Tesla didn't screw you over, what a complete and total lie.

I wish people like you would be banned from this place but alas, that's not my call obviously...

Jeff

Don't worry. Once there was Drivin. Now it is oktane.

Folks who are here not just to share their experiences - negative or positive - but to just derail every topic and generally be a nuisance, will cross the line one day and go the Drivin way.

• Helpful
Reactions: rjdoc74 and EinSV

Jeff

You always seem to derail threads with your $0.02 about someone else's experience and impugning their character, as if you were there.

My experience with people like you and others in this thread that say "Tesla didn't screw you" are those with stock interests in Tesla or no dog in the fight. Do you own an AP2 car?

If you don't even own an AP2 car, you really should not be responding to my posts. If you own stock positions, you should disclose it in your signature line.

Implying that I am lying without even knowing who I am or any details regarding my interactions with Tesla proves you have no objectivity. Good for me I don't care what you think, but you come across as someone with an agenda, and I'm sure everyone can see it.

As for me, I have never owned or traded TSLA, and never will.

Last edited:
You always seem to derail threads with your $0.02 about someone else's experience and impugning their character, as if you were there.

My experience with people like you and others in this thread that say "Tesla didn't screw you" are those with stock interests in Tesla or no dog in the fight. Do you own an AP2 car?

If you don't even own an AP2 car, you really should not be responding to my posts. If you own stock positions, you should disclose it in your signature line.

Implying that I am lying without even knowing who I am or any details regarding my interactions with Tesla proves you have no objectivity. Good for me I don't care what you think, but you come across as someone with an agenda, and I'm sure everyone can see it.

As for me, I have never owned or traded TSLA, and never will.

Well good for you... Or something like that... I currently do not own any TSLA stock and the car I own is in my signature but since you asked it's an AP1 car. So no, I don't have any agenda just a general sensitivity to the constant and factually questionable whining from a very, very small group of posters here with you being one of them. Otherwise, I'm not afraid to call out BS when I spot it and no I don't give new posters any benefit of any doubt... If you've been here as long as I have you'd understand why...

I have no objectivity? LOL... That couldn't be further from the truth... See this is what drives me nuts about complainers like you in that you totally gloss over the critical things I constantly say about Tesla to only focus on specific sound bites that reinforce your beliefs.

Do I defend Tesla probably more than I should? Maybe, I wouldn't really try to argue that... I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt more often then not. That being said, I'm far from alone on that here...

Jeff

Reactions: mikemillar
FWIW they just sent out this newsletter:
Autopilot Updates
We just released the latest version of Autopilot. You can now experience Enhanced Autopilot features including Traffic-Aware Cruise Control, Autosteer, Auto Lane Change, Parallel + Perpendicular Autopark, and Summon. Automatic Emergency Braking, Forward + Side Collision Warning, and more advanced safety features are also active and standard.

Sounds like the rollout may be imminent.

• Informative
Reactions: Turing