TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Seeing a Model X before buying

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Kentg, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Kentg

Kentg Member

I'm #2522 on the X wait list. Tesla inside sales is telling me I should be configuring my car in the next 4 weeks. They also told me there is no way to actually see one and sit in one before I will have to buy it. They said I could delay my place in line until "2016" at which time they will be in the showrooms. No month given just some time in 2016. amazing they can get away with this but no matter. Any ideas for where I can actually see one prior to mid October when I will have to commit? My main issue with the S has been the location of the driver side side bar support. I'm 6'4" tall and need the seat all the way back to fit my gangling long legs. With the seat all the way back in the S the side bar is in a very awkward location. Makes it hard to get comfortable and get in an out of the vehicle. I'm hoping this is fixed with the X but nobody at Tesla can give me a definitive answer.

Ideas??

2. Signaturex

Signaturex Member

The hope is that we can answer all questions when they have gone to the release next week.
    Just add your question to my tread. I.e. Room for 6' 4 legged guy.

3. DougH

DougH Active Member

Why would you put down such a large deposit if this was an issue for you?. Also, if you got it and didn't like it you most likely be able to off load it pretty quick.

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

You're #2522 in the production queue? I wouldn't worry about being able to see one before having to configure - there will be drive events, etc. And even if Tesla was that deep into the production list in 4 weeks, you can defer until you can see an X.

Really truly wouldn't worry about this.

5. Kentg

Kentg Member

I was also told that "numerous" people with wait list numbers lower than mine had dropped off the list over the years. Would not tell me where I really stand but said I would be hearing soon. This also answers the other question of why put down a deposit when I'm not sure. Fully refundable.

6. roblab

roblab Active Member

I plan to see one next week. I betcha they will be around and see-able for everyone in the next few weeks.

This isn't GM or Toyota, and most of us who have dealt with Tesla think it's an improvement. No one thinks you have to buy before you try.

I, too, am 6'4". I think the Model S is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. I have 82,000 miles on my 2012. I don't know what you mean by "side bar support", but my seat is all the way back and the seat back reclined. I have no problem getting in or out with my size 15 feet. I have head room, but the X is supposed to have even more. So I guess I don't understand your concerns. Yeah, you might not fit, but you probably will. Yeah, they want you to commit, but you don't have to, even after you see one, which you probably will before you need to commit..

It will all work out. My wife likes to over process things, too, and stress about them before she knows enough to worry, but it always works out.

7. PoweredByRain

PoweredByRain Member

Just as another data point: I'm 6'5" tall and I think I understand the original poster's comment regarding egress. For me at least, it requires shifting forward in the seat before being able to swing the legs out and I pretty much have to push on the car to be able to get out. A higher seat, or, admittedly, better knees, would help. kentg: you are not the only tall person who has considered the X just for the benefit of easier ingress and egress from the car.

(Good luck with a Roadster. I tried it once - no go. Just don't even think about it.)

8. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Really? I am P1134 and wasn't expecting to get the call to configure until end of October at the earliest. So, this tells me I could be asked to configure in 2-3 weeks? Scared/Excited. I would also like to see one in the flesh before I order. As luck would have it, I'll in Bay Area next thursday, but can't be there for Tuesday. Not that I was invited anyways.

9. Kentg

Kentg Member

Yeah, they were very clear X waitlist members were not invited to the launch. Only those with signature numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. I feel like I'm swiveling around a fire pole to get out of the car.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. I feel like I'm swiveling around a fire pole to get out of the car.

10. Jeva

Jeva BKINTME

You could always find someone who has received their car and ask nicely to sit in it :)

11. Kentg

Kentg Member

I like that idea. only wish I lived in Cincinnati. I live in Lafayette CA just 40 miles north of the Tesla factory. They also don't allow X reservation holders to tour the factory. Tried that one as well.

12. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

That is false. I toured the factory 8 days ago and am a normal production X reservation holder.

13. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Have you asked recently? There was a time a few weeks back that they suspended all tours.

Also you might want to wait until after the 29th as I bet they will have a car at least in Freemont for you to see and sit in.

14. Bradleybang

Bradleybang Member

I can help you out. I've already confirmed my Sig order. So, I should get mine before you need to confirm. I am in Lamorinda 2-3 days a week.

Regarding factory tour: When I got my invite to confirm, I called and got factory tour. Main reason you will want to do that is to see all the Model S colors sitting around and in the factory in shade and sun.

Problem solved by TMC again.

15. Jeva

Jeva BKINTME

Much more likely to find an early X owner in CA than anywhere in OH :D
    There ya go! WTG Bradley

16. Kentg

Kentg Member

#16 Kentg, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2015
    Brilliant!! Just text me when you're here in Lamorinda and come to wherever you are. <snip>. Kent

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!!!

17. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Kentg - consider sending your number in a private message, rather than posting it on a forum.

18. Jack_L

Jack_L Member

Kentg-
    Just wanted to confirm that you are a Production reservation holder and not a Signature reservation holder. I would be surprised if I was asked to order so soon but... Like you I would have a hard time buying without driving first, especially where I have a MS to keep me happy until such time I can be sure a change makes sense (X would replace the S).
    Thanks

19. Kentg

Kentg Member

Yes I'm a production reservation holder.

20. Jack_L

Jack_L Member

Interesting...I'm right behind you and was thinking closer to or actually into 2016 for me to get the word. Would need much more info and likely to see/drive one before committing. Thanks for the info!!