Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seems there are big changes coming with vehicles produced after October 21

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes absolutely, if there are some features that you particularly want then wait for them if you can. This is what I meant "you should order when you really need the car AND when you think that it has the technologies that make you happy". But even FSD will continually evolve over time (percentage of time FSD can work given the environment) so you can't time for the perfect FSD.
There's no changing in FSD wording on the site, though, if we did not uncover HW2.5 when we did, I bet Tesla would still keep totally mum about it even now and people would later speculate why some subset of cars differs from another.

Well, you could conjecture that the extra part of the Semi Reveal is the news that all this new stuff is in all S's and X's after August 21. They can't tell you in September that there's new stuff starting in late October, that's the definition of Osbourning!

The Tesla Semi-Truck event is September 28th. I'm predicting something more general than X upgrades. Maybe next-gen Supercharging.

I still don't get why people are trying to time their Tesla orders. In 2015 Elon mentioned that "in an average week for the model S, there are 20 engineering changes". If we accept the fact that new changes happen continuously with Tesla then what's the point of timing? As soon as your car roll off the assembly line something new has already been added. You should order when you really need the car AND when you think that it has the technologies that make you happy. Any changes after that are good for when you order your next car. From my personal experience I certainly did not try to time my Tesla purchases the first in Feb 2015 and the second in Jan 2017.

Not all "engineering changes" are created equal. An updated door latch (which can be retrofitted to earlier cars) is much different than AP2.0 that can't be retrofitted. Or a next-gen battery pack that is capable of 200%-300% increased charging speeds.

Yes to both but what is your reasoning behind waiting....upgrades and changes?
Please be specific
Quality is still bad (you did not specify X or S so I am assuming X), service is overloaded and is bound to get worse, you are in California so superchargers are also overloaded. While EV drivetrain is fun to use, if you mostly care about AP/FSD - those still have a long way to go it appears.
If you do not yet care about EV drivetrain there's basically nothing to get excited about esp. for this much money.
Lastly there's the the year end and the Semi unveil soon, that are bound to make new excited stuff announced one might think.

And super lastly, do you really want to support people that lie to your face with your own hard earned money? ;)

Quality is still bad (you did not specify X or S so I am assuming X), service is overloaded and is bound to get worse, you are in California so superchargers are also overloaded. While EV drivetrain is fun to use, if you mostly care about AP/FSD - those still have a long way to go it appears.
If you do not yet care about EV drivetrain there's basically nothing to get excited about esp. for this much money.
Lastly there's the the year end and the Semi unveil soon, that are bound to make new excited stuff announced one might think.

And super lastly, do you really want to support people that lie to your face with your own hard earned money? ;)

What did you mean by that last part???
Sorry, a little confused.

I think that's mischaracterizing things, focused on the negative, and discounting the positive. Exterior need some more QC, but everything else is decent. My SC has availability within days usually. This is a bigger store too. Certain SC's reach capacity at times in CA but my understanding is that is not the norm. Hyperbole.

Reactions: skilly
I think that's mischaracterizing things, focused on the negative, and discounting the positive. Exterior need some more QC, but everything else is decent. My SC has availability within days usually. This is a bigger store too. Certain SC's reach capacity at times in CA but my understanding is that is not the norm. Hyperbole.
That is your experience. I am glad it is working out for you.
I have my own.

In general I think it's prudent to focus on the negatives before purchase (because what if you will be affected by them?) and on positives after ;)

When I called my SC at the start of Aug, they said they are booked till the end of September.

• Disagree
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor

As someone who lives in California, my experience with Tesla has been nothing other than amazing. Service centers that will take me on the spot for something urgent (even if not major). Warm smiles, willing spirits ... and Tesla loaners.

Superchargers have been great.

And the car, itself, remarkable, not only for style and performance but also for QC and reliability.

Best car I’ve ever owned. Best ownership experience. By a wide margin. And, that’s coming from very positive experiences with BMW and Audi.

I would agree with the CA ownership experience being great. Right now, BMW, Mercedes, and Audi are even more overloaded here and I’ve had far far worse service experiences with two out of the three, including one of them “misplacing” my car for 2 weeks (they “found” it at an employee’s house eventually).

As far as Tesla is concerned, I took a road trip during peak travel hours over the Labor Day and spent no time in line at superchargers. The recent expansions they’ve done here are fantastic.

Service has been a great experience too. I’ve been able to get an appointment within 3 business days for all of my needs, they’ve always had loaners or rental cars if I want an even sooner appointment. The service staff has been friendly and professional and they’ve been able to address my issues.

If anything, I’m hearing a lot of stories that lead me to believe the CA ownership experience might be better than elsewhere.

As someone who lives in California, my experience with Tesla has been nothing other than amazing. Service centers that will take me on the spot for something urgent (even if not major). Warm smiles, willing spirits ... and Tesla loaners.

Superchargers have been great.

And the car, itself, remarkable, not only for style and performance but also for QC and reliability.

Best car I’ve ever owned. Best ownership experience. By a wide margin. And, that’s coming from very positive experiences with BMW and Audi.

I have to agree. In reading this Im wondering if they are referring to Tesla.

Other than the Dublin CA Superchargers (which are noted to be the busiest in the country) I haven't had to wait in line for a charge in over a year. Perhaps we are spoiled in California being close to the mothership, but my service is also top notch. Very comparable to my Porsche ownership, which I found a cut above all of them. They aren't without challenges as well, but its the exception in their model, and not the norm.

They know who I am when I call; they quickly address all my concerns; they 'manage' my service requirements just like an Emergency Room Admittance. They will confirm issues and determine the grade to determine when I need the car in...for example with a basic service they may book it a couple of weeks out; however, when my wipers failed in a rain storm and I was close by they took the car in on the spot and gave me a loaner - having it fixed the next day.

Quality control is at least above industry standards. Regardless of brand loyalty. When I compare it to my ownership experience with MB, Porsche, BMW, Audi, its identical. There are no more or less issues with the cars that would stand outside of those other well known brands. What I think stands out for Tesla is the customer. Its seems like a breed of folks that equate the car with a computer more than a car and, they measure their experience differently than the common buyer. They seem to be discerning; however, somewhat absent of a grounding around how its a car rather than a piece of tech. They gripe about things that normal ownership doesn't even involve such as the way it works through its development cycle, or how some of the beta tech on board isn't operating in a GA fashion. Not a dig to owners (I am an owner!!) just an observation.

What I hope is that Tesla doesn't listen and ultimately change their model. What I mean is, if they were to slow their roll down to the way other manufactures advanced their models, it would kill what we all love but continue to complain about. A single annual release; what you bought is what you are stuck with; minor updates in fascia and tech in the 3rd year or so and then a complete refresh a few years after that is pretty much what everyone else does. If they did the same, it would eliminate just about all of the complaining but then it would be just another car company...yawn.

Reactions: chillaban and EinSV
I have to agree. In reading this Im wondering if they are referring to Tesla.

Other than the Dublin CA Superchargers (which are noted to be the busiest in the country) I haven't had to wait in line for a charge in over a year. Perhaps we are spoiled in California being close to the mothership, but my service is also top notch. Very comparable to my Porsche ownership, which I found a cut above all of them. They aren't without challenges as well, but its the exception in their model, and not the norm.

They know who I am when I call; they quickly address all my concerns; they 'manage' my service requirements just like an Emergency Room Admittance. They will confirm issues and determine the grade to determine when I need the car in...for example with a basic service they may book it a couple of weeks out; however, when my wipers failed in a rain storm and I was close by they took the car in on the spot and gave me a loaner - having it fixed the next day.

Quality control is at least above industry standards. Regardless of brand loyalty. When I compare it to my ownership experience with MB, Porsche, BMW, Audi, its identical. There are no more or less issues with the cars that would stand outside of those other well known brands. What I think stands out for Tesla is the customer. Its seems like a breed of folks that equate the car with a computer more than a car and, they measure their experience differently than the common buyer. They seem to be discerning; however, somewhat absent of a grounding around how its a car rather than a piece of tech. They gripe about things that normal ownership doesn't even involve such as the way it works through its development cycle, or how some of the beta tech on board isn't operating in a GA fashion. Not a dig to owners (I am an owner!!) just an observation.

What I hope is that Tesla doesn't listen and ultimately change their model. What I mean is, if they were to slow their roll down to the way other manufactures advanced their models, it would kill what we all love but continue to complain about. A single annual release; what you bought is what you are stuck with; minor updates in fascia and tech in the 3rd year or so and then a complete refresh a few years after that is pretty much what everyone else does. If they did the same, it would eliminate just about all of the complaining but then it would be just another car company...yawn.
Did not have great experience with both SJC and SD superchargers. The former had a few cars wait. I've gone there around noon and 10pm on a weekend. The latter also had a wait and Had a horrible charging speed - 40kW.