Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

self made aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem would be to find a plastic that wouldn't get scratched up after a couple of weeks of use.
Plastic is cheap enough that I would not mind replacing them every year.

Now, who is that guy that is making various accessories for model S?
Like center console, lighted Ts, different nosecones, ... there is idea for another product - full moon wheel covers. Make them 18" and I'll buy them even though I'm still MS-less.
:)

You mean this?
toy-19.jpg

That hole in the middle is a showstopper.

These fit perfectly on the stock 19 inch Tesla rims:

New Star Foodservice
SKU: CSPT-20
item# 51063
6 pieces per box
Amazon: $42.99 with free shipping, took 7 days.

Very good fit just as in David99's photos. There is a slight clearance between pan and center logo which is exactly what you want there.
Just got these today and held one up to the rim. May want to remove wheel and work on a table. These may have a slightly smoother edge roll than his, but very hard to tell any difference.
--

Last edited:
Here is a 51063 pan resting on a 19in rim. There is about 1/32in clearance to the spoke highpoint, which is about halfway up the spoke. The screws will be outboard of this, probably ~2 inches from rim edge, so they will pull pan to the highpoints.

51063.on.19in.jpg

--

One of those little pans going in to traffic? Pssht.

Many years ago I had an entire wheel+tire go flying off in to traffic (all the lug nuts were on; the wheel pulled off over the lug nuts. This was on an Econoline van). It bounced diagonally across an intersection, hit the curb, bounced over the sidewalk and the railing protecting an 8' drop, and bounced much higher through the parking lot on the other side as it made its way towards the large plate glass windows on the Discount Tire Store. Screaming the entire time, "Momma, I'm coming home!".

Fortunately it had the good sense to weave between traffic and didn't hit anyone. And it turned just before the windows and hit a brick wall instead. I was sweating that one for a while. (But oddly, I also felt sudden relief as I finally knew out why the van was vibrating at speed. We were a block away from the Ford dealer we were going to have inspect it).

More on-topic, Moon Discs have quick attachments so you can put them on and take them off easily. But...you have to weld the attachment points to the wheels, ugh.

Last edited:
I thought they looked pretty good as well. The only part I'm not keen about is drilling the wheels. There should be some better way to attach them.

Here is post from 2 years ago that someone else attached their pizza pans without drilling

They are held on by 5 5/16-18 screws. I didn't like drilling into the alloy wheels as this would weaken them and cause a stress riser. They are threaded into fastener mount cable ties which are attached to the 19" rim spokes. The issue with this setup is centering the covers I was very careful in the spacing to center them and prevent imbalance.

JRP you are right they are 21" pie pans, however 21" pans are not exactly 21" in outside diameter they are about 21.5" which puts them just outside the rim lip, which I had hoped to use to center the covers. A 21" disk would be optimal, I know Mooneyes will custom make them, but they would be a bit more than $15 ea.

View attachment 13709