Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sell my 2018 to buy 2020? Am I crazy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya, u make a good point. I have to def keep this in mind

To the posters point, and to my original point about only you knowing your financial situation, you really should ask yourself how important this is to you. If you have other calls on your finances, perhaps this is one to pass on? I mean, its purely your choice, and we all WANT the best and greatest, but at the end of the day, they are just toys (though very nice ones!).

Reactions: jjrandorin
I come from 12+ years of driving BMWs.

Then I step into a Model 3 which handles worse than a base Honda Accord.

It’s problem

This is really beginning to sound like a lot of bull.

You could judge how ugly it was on day one.
You could judge how it handled on day one.
You could have returned it before day 7.

If you want a Performance, then get one. But cut the crap about how bad the Model 3 vs P is.

My guess is you'll be disappointed with a Model 3P as soon as they announce the most minor tweak in the future.

Reactions: IdaX

If you want a Performance, then get one. But cut the crap about how bad the Model 3 vs P is.

My guess is you'll be disappointed with a Model 3P as soon as they announce the most minor tweak in the future.
Agreed I happen to have a lr awd an accord and 328i and the Tesla handles the best

lol ok, I’m not attacking model 3. Calm down

Im just responding to explain the “why”

And no, the wheel gap was not present on test drive car. And no, I didn’t realize how weak it handled during test drive. Hard to determine these things on a 5 min drive

Also, not all model 3s were built using same suspension components, as we all know. There are variations in a lot of builds across model 3s.

Last edited:

It’s exactly that - utter bull trolling.
I daily drove my M3 for 3 years straight before stepping into this LR AWD+ and I’m not going back. I’m likely putting my BMW M3 on the market in the Spring, because I could never see myself going back to BMW or an ICE.

P3D's suspension may be 0.4" lower, but doesn't handle meaningfully better, IMO. Having driven a P3D and owned/driven many bimmers, Tesla M3 models just are not built that way. I think coilovers from MPP/UP are the best way to go, irrespective of M3 models. My 2 cents.

It’s exactly that - utter bull trolling.
I daily drove my M3 for 3 years straight before stepping into this LR AWD+ and I’m not going back. I’m likely putting my BMW M3 on the market in the Spring, because I could never see myself going back to BMW or an ICE.

my bmw history was: e36 328i, e39 540i, e36 dinan '95 m3.

my sr+ m3 would out-handle them all. not even close. (my dinan was bought used, with all the toys installed. I would not have done that myself, but it was a good deal at the time).

cost of bmw ownership aside, I see nothing that bmw offers that is compelling, these days. repair cost was insane when I had mine. really doubt I'll ever be back to bmw.

its a new age. the ICE brands are not necessarily going to be the ones that we see 20 years from now, when we're all electric. bmw has nothing special to offer when its non-ICE.

P3D's suspension may be 0.4" lower, but doesn't handle meaningfully better, IMO. Having driven a P3D and owned/driven many bimmers, Tesla M3 models just are not built that way. I think coilovers from MPP/UP are the best way to go, irrespective of M3 models. My 2 cents.

thanks for that, it’s helpful to hear your feedback since you’ve driven P3 and BMWs. I’ve never driven the M3P - I just assumed it would handle better than my AWD3, but it seems it maybe I’m wrong to assume that.

I realize Tesla M3 are just not built for that and I understand why - as can be seen from this thread, many people are argumentatively happy with the handling of the Tesla M3. I think most M3 owners are and I understand completely.

I’m not in that category and so looks like I will be going to go with UP coilovers & keep my car. Seems like the optimal solution for me.

I'm glad you came to your senses. Work on your suspension and tires if you want to improve your car's handling. Add the $2k acceleration boost if you want almost as much power as the M3P. I also came from BMW (e92) and think that car when new out handled my M3 LR/AWD. It was lighter, had summer tires, better steering feel, and was predictable when going into a corner hot. Overall though, Tesla's the better driving machine. BMW is not the ultimate anymore, but I hope they find their mojo again.

Reactions: SdpLV