Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling to Vroom, anyone can speak about the experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sold a car to them. The process went okay, but it isn't as fast as they make it sound on their website. The only photo they asked me to send before making an offer was the odometer reading.

It was 2-3 weeks from when I accepted their offer until I was paid. Every step along the way takes a few days. They sent a double-decker call hauler truck to pick up the car (independent transporter - they won't pay you for the car), and then it sat in a storage yard locally for a few days to be sent to Texas where they are located (I checked my app). They eventually got the car and I called to inquire about the payment since I hadn't heard anything for awhile. They eventually paid me what they said they would pay (they wired the payment to my credit union since I had an outstanding loan, and then I got the difference in my account).

I couldn't help feeling a little vulnerable once the car was picked up before I was paid. If they had a beef with the car upon arrival, I'm not sure what your options would be at that point.

I took plenty of photos before the car was picked up to protect myself and sent it off with a 90% charge, and in the end it worked out okay...

I sold a previous Focus Electric that I owned to Carvana which is probably a similar process. They gave me an offer based on described condition and then I made an appointment for them to pick it up. Before the appointment they asked me to scan the title which I did. On the appointment day the rep arrived, I handed them the title and the car keys, they had me sign two papers, they looked over the car for like 5 minutes, gave me a check, and soon after the transporter arrived to take the car. It was mind boggling how easy it was.

I sold my BMW to Vroom, there were some glitches that delayed things multiple times, and they were kind of a hassle to deal with, but I eventually got paid. They did not give any BS about small scratches on the bumper or other wear and tear, which is good.

I don’t think I’d do it again, just because if they decide to jerk you around, you don’t have any leverage when they have your car down in Texas with your signed purchase agreement and certificate of title. Like, what if they ran into cash flow problems, what would you do then?

Sold my VW eGolf to Vroom last month. My experience wasn’t a good one but could have been. Quoted a Lexus a month prior to requesting a quote for the eGolf. Accepted the eGolf quote, but they sent me a sale bill contract to sign for the Lexus instead. Got the sale bill corrected to reflect the eGolf and sent in my title and spare keys. A transporter arrived to pick up the car 2 days later but they said they came to pick up the Lexus. The carrier cancelled the pick up since Vroom sent the wrong vehicle information. Called Vroom and they said they’ll correct the problem which they never did. Took multiple emails and phone calls till they finally fixed the problem. They finally sent another carrier to pick up the eGolf a week later. I received my check 2 days after they picked up the car. From start to finish, took about 2 1/2 weeks. They said it was a computer glitch.

I think if I had not requested quotes for multiple cars under my account, there wouldn’t be any problems.

Would I sell another car to Vroom? Yes, if they offer more than the other car companies.

Sold a Nissan Armada to Carvana last week. Got a quote on Monday, accepted on Wednesday, arranged for pickup on Saturday. They came by and did a cursory inspection, verified the mileage, had me sign two pieces of paper, handed me a check, and took the keys. They parked the car on the street in front of my house with a lockbox on the window. An hour later a flat bed came by and picked it up. Easy peasy.

I think having the title with no outstanding loan balance makes it a whole lot easier than if you have to pay off a loan.

Keith

I sold a previous Focus Electric that I owned to Carvana which is probably a similar process. They gave me an offer based on described condition and then I made an appointment for them to pick it up. Before the appointment they asked me to scan the title which I did. On the appointment day the rep arrived, I handed them the title and the car keys, they had me sign two papers, they looked over the car for like 5 minutes, gave me a check, and soon after the transporter arrived to take the car. It was mind boggling how easy it was.
+1 on Carvana. So easy.

So with Carvana they do an inspection and you get the check at the same time that you hand over the title, keys and car? That eliminates my key concern with Vroom, which is this long gap of time where they have everything from keys to title to car, and you are depending on them to move forward with getting you paid.

Daughter sold to Shift- only operates on the west coast- got a decent price, several thousand more than Tesla or CarMax offered, but had to wait 3 days for the money to be deposited into her account. They came inspected the car- and drove it off with the title and registration in hand. Very worrisome about that w/o actually having the money- They did schedule the transfer before taking possession of the car, but still was nervous it wouldn't complete.

I sold a car to them. The process went okay, but it isn't as fast as they make it sound on their website. The only photo they asked me to send before making an offer was the odometer reading.

It was 2-3 weeks from when I accepted their offer until I was paid. Every step along the way takes a few days. They sent a double-decker call hauler truck to pick up the car (independent transporter - they won't pay you for the car), and then it sat in a storage yard locally for a few days to be sent to Texas where they are located (I checked my app). They eventually got the car and I called to inquire about the payment since I hadn't heard anything for awhile. They eventually paid me what they said they would pay (they wired the payment to my credit union since I had an outstanding loan, and then I got the difference in my account).

I couldn't help feeling a little vulnerable once the car was picked up before I was paid. If they had a beef with the car upon arrival, I'm not sure what your options would be at that point.

I took plenty of photos before the car was picked up to protect myself and sent it off with a 90% charge, and in the end it worked out okay...
You gave them possession of the car BEFORE you received payment? You have a lot more faith in humans than I do, but I'm glad it went OK...

So with Carvana they do an inspection and you get the check at the same time that you hand over the title, keys and car? That eliminates my key concern with Vroom, which is this long gap of time where they have everything from keys to title to car, and you are depending on them to move forward with getting you paid.

Yes, traded our 2015 Mini, strong offer, check when car was picked up.

Highly recommend

Ed

• Informative
Reactions: hellocar
I sold a car (not Tesla) to CarMax this week after getting offers from them, Vroom, and Carvana.

Vroom offer: $35,700
Carvana offer: $36,300
CarMax offer: $37,000

I went with the highest bidder and would generally recommend anyone do the same as the process is pretty close to identical with all these places. CarMax was super easy but they’re a bit different in that you have to be near a physical location.

Word of advice on Vroom, after their lowball 2 day offer expired they sent me another offer out of the blue that matched Carvana’s ($36,300). I found that kinda sheisty and it left a bad taste in my mouth. That said, if you’re considering vroom it’s worth noting that their first offer might not be their best.

I sold a car (not Tesla) to CarMax this week after getting offers from them, Vroom, and Carvana.

Vroom offer: $35,700
Carvana offer: $36,300
CarMax offer: $37,000

I went with the highest bidder and would generally recommend anyone do the same as the process is pretty close to identical with all these places. CarMax was super easy but they’re a bit different in that you have to be near a physical location.

Word of advice on Vroom, after their lowball 2 day offer expired they sent me another offer out of the blue that matched Carvana’s ($36,300). I found that kinda sheisty and it left a bad taste in my mouth. That said, if you’re considering vroom it’s worth noting that their first offer might not be their best.
Can confirm the same experience w/ Vroom - I've checked my trade in values a few times with Vroom and every single time they have followed up a few days after the initial offer with an offer ~$1k higher. None of the other places I've checked have done that.

• Informative
Reactions: rlb4 and ucmndd
For those reading in states where there is a sales tax benefit for trading your car, be careful. In ucmndd's case, the tax benefit lost for selling to anyone but the Carmax quote (then Tesla match) would be over $2500 in Ohio.

For those reading in states where there is a sales tax benefit for trading your car, be careful. In ucmndd's case, the tax benefit lost for selling to anyone but the Carmax quote (then Tesla match) would be over $2500 in Ohio.
Agree this is a worthy consideration. OP is in California where there is no such benefit, but everyone should certainly be aware.