Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla preliminary Proxy statement filed:

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1318605/000110465924048040/tm2326076d13_pre14a.htm

Dear Fellow Stockholders,

We could call 2023 a watershed year for Tesla, with many defining moments. However, for Tesla — in light of our past accomplishments — 2023 could also be called just a typical year of triumphs and achievements. In 2023, the Model Y became the best-selling vehicle in the world, we launched our new Model 3 lineup, saw tremendous strides in our quest for FSD and we began deliveries of our innovative and highly anticipated Cybertruck.

We also witnessed the beginning of the significant growth of our Energy Storage and Services and Other businesses. We believe these types of triumphs and achievements are normal course for Tesla because Tesla is a nimble organization with an unmatched pace of innovation that has resulted in products and services that surpass all expectations driven by visionary leadership and most importantly the best and most dedicated employees in the world. We want to thank all of our employees for their outstanding efforts.

Of course, a key part of this nimble organization requires careful management of our resources. We recently announced a company-wide restructuring that reduces our headcount by more than 10% globally. Over the years, we have grown rapidly with multiple factories scaling around the globe. With this rapid growth, there has been a duplication of roles and job functions in certain areas. We believe it is extremely important to look at every aspect of our business for cost reductions and increasing productivity. This action will prepare us for our next phase of growth, as we are developing some of the most revolutionary technologies in auto, energy and artificial intelligence.

With Your Vote in the 2024 Annual Meeting, Tesla Will Thrive.

Our stockholders drive Tesla. Your votes and your voices make critical decisions for the future of our company, and we have and want to continue to listen to you. That is why we are asking for your support for all of our management proposals including re-election of two of our hardworking and dedicated directors, Kimbal Musk and James Murdoch. However, there are two important proposals that I want to touch on here, that we believe are critical to the future success of Tesla, both of which were recommended following a rigorous and thoughtful analysis by an independent Special Committee, comprised of another one of our hardworking and dedicated directors in Kathleen Wilson-Thompson:

1) Approving moving Tesla’s state of incorporation from Delaware to Texas (Proposal Three); and

2) Ratifying Elon Musk’s compensation under the CEO pay package that our stockholders previously approved at our 2018 special meeting (Proposal Four).

Texas Is Tesla’s Home.
2024 is the year that Tesla should move home to Texas. We are asking for your vote to approve Tesla’s move from Delaware, our current state of incorporation, to a new legal home in Texas. Texas is already our business home, and we are committed to it. Gigafactory Texas is one of the largest factories in the United States, covering 2,500 acres along the Colorado River. The Gigafactory is the manufacturing hub for our most innovative vehicles, including the Cybertruck and the Model Y. We have a significant number of manufacturing, operations, and engineering employees in Texas, and our executives are based there. Texas is where we should continue working towards our mission of accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy, as we lay the foundation for our growth with our ramp and build of factories for our future vehicles and to help meet the demand for energy storage as well as with our progress in artificial intelligence via full self-driving and Optimus.
We have received letters from thousands of Tesla stockholders — large and small — supporting a move home to Texas. We have heard you, and now we formally ask that you speak in a meaningful way: and vote in favor of taking Tesla to our business home of Texas.
Ratification Will Restore Tesla’s Stockholder Democracy.

Corporate democracy and stockholder rights are at the heart of Tesla’s values. Earlier this year, a Delaware Court ruling in Tornetta v. Musk (which can be found as Annex I to this Proxy Statement) struck down one of your votes and rescinded the pay package that an overwhelming majority of you voted to grant to our CEO, Elon Musk, in 2018. The Tornetta Court decided, years later, that the CEO pay package was not “entirely fair” to the very same stockholders who voted to approve it — even though approximately 73% of all votes cast by our disinterested stockholders voted to approve it in 2018.

Because the Delaware Court second-guessed your decision, Elon has not been paid for any of his work for Tesla for the past six years that has helped to generate significant growth and stockholder value. That strikes us — and the many stockholders from whom we already have heard — as fundamentally unfair, and inconsistent with the will of the stockholders who voted for it.
The 2018 CEO pay package required Elon to deliver transformative and unprecedented growth to earn any compensation. It was a big risk, and many thought that the plan’s targets for benefits to stockholders were simply unachievable. But our company and our leaders have always had big dreams and it is fundamental to the entrepreneurial spirit of Tesla to take big risks for the chance at big rewards. This has led to the incredible innovation and progress — and economic gains — that we have achieved at Tesla. In 2018, we asked for unbelievable growth and accomplishments. Elon delivered: Tesla’s stockholders have benefited from unprecedented growth under Elon’s leadership and Tesla has met every single one of the 2018 CEO pay package’s targets.

And — most importantly for the future of Tesla — the 2018 CEO pay package built in further incentives to benefit Tesla stockholders by requiring that Elon hold onto any shares he receives when he exercises his options for five years — which means he will continue to be driven to innovate and drive growth at Tesla because the value of his shares will depend on it!

The Board stands behind this pay package. We believed in it in 2018, as we asked Elon to pursue remarkable goals to grow the company. You, as stockholders, also believed in it in 2018 when you overwhelmingly approved it. Time and results have only shown the wisdom of our judgment.
We do not agree with what the Delaware Court decided, and we do not think that what the Delaware Court said is how corporate law should or does work. So we are coming to you now so you can help fix this issue — which is a matter of fundamental fairness and respect to our CEO. You have the chance to reinstate your vote and make it count. We are asking you to make your voice heard — once again — by voting to approve ratification of Elon’s 2018 compensation plan.
Thank you for your continued support of Tesla, and, together with my fellow Board members, I hope you can join us for our 2024 annual meeting on June 13, 2024 at 3:30 p.m. Central Time.

Very truly yours,
[MISSING IMAGE: sg_robyndenholm-bw.jpg]

Robyn Denholm
Chairperson of the Board
Yeah, but here's the tricky part: "Elon has not been paid for any of his work for Tesla for the past six years that has helped to generate significant growth and stockholder value"

This was a great statement in 2021, even early 2022, but right now doesn't look so great IMO. A "yes" majority on this is far from certain IMO, we've a lot of disillusioned retail right now and no doubt a lot of institutional investors feel things could be managed in a less dramatic and divisive manner now the company has passed the initial growth spurt

But is this what's driving the +1% in PM today?

Yeah, but here's the tricky part: "Elon has not been paid for any of his work for Tesla for the past six years that has helped to generate significant growth and stockholder value"

This was a great statement in 2021, even early 2022, but right now doesn't look so great IMO. A "yes" majority on this is far from certain IMO, we've a lot of disillusioned retail right now and no doubt a lot of institutional investors feel things could be managed in a less dramatic and divisive manner now the company has passed the initial growth spurt

It may have been an easier statement to make in 2021, but 6 years ago TSLA was ~$20 so I think it's still a fair statement to make today.

SP today: $159
Stock price on day of compensation vote (June 5th 2018): $19.41
Gain: 8.2x or (and I'm not kidding here) 42% annualized

It may have been an easier statement to make in 2021, but 6 years ago TSLA was ~$20 so I think it's still a fair statement to make today.

SP today: $159
Stock price on day of compensation vote (June 5th 2018): $19.41
Gain: 8.2x or (and I'm not kidding here) 42% annualized
Sure, but when everyone agreed to it back in 2019, it was considered impossible that most of the goals would be met, never mind all of them!

Anyway, I'm just saying, I don't see a "yes" vote as a slam-dunk

Sure, but when everyone agreed to it back in 2019, it was considered impossible that most of the goals would be met, never mind all of them!

I’ll be surprised if it passes.

Institutional investors care about one thing… money. And since this is awarding Elon for work he already did, they will probably vote no due to “what have you done for me lately” syndrome. I hope I’m wrong. I’ll vote my shares for it.

Institutional investors care about one thing… money. And since this is awarding Elon for work he already did, they will probably vote no due to “what have you done for me lately” syndrome. I hope I’m wrong. I’ll vote my shares for it.
It needs one more clause that the only tweets should be about the positive future of Tesla and no personal tweets. Fiduciary...and all that stuff!

That's prob why they include the semi-threat of "if we have to pay him NEW money it'll be tens of billions more expensive"-- though that'd ALSO require a vote I imagine so it's...not that great a threat maybe?

Personally I'm more concerned about the Delaware->Texas thing.... Texas corporate law is....not great... I'd have been much more comfortable with Nevada.

if true, what would be a rational reason for this:

View attachment 1039263

Have you read most of what Leo writes? It sounds like the timecube guy.

What hourly signals should I look for as a possible break out of the descending channel? I have -c1050/+c1150 for Friday that I should roll up and out before ITM but feel next week expiry may be too close if the SP continues to rise.
i think green today then dump before the weekend; we'll know 3-4pm today

from my experience, now that they both fell from ATH, the beautiful thing about smci/nvda is that rolls work every single time - ITM eventually becomes OTM

not advice

1713356727833.png

1713356920478.png

The old plan is cheaper (GAAP wise) than a new equivalent plan would be. Of course, the best dilution is no dilution, but that's not equitable.

The Company has determined if Tesla were to issue new stock option awards to purchase approximately 303.96 million shares of common stock, assuming no further vesting conditions or sale restrictions with the exercise price as the closing stock price of April 1, 2024, which was $175.22, the accounting implication would be an incremental compensation expense in excess of $25 billion, which is calculated using a Black-Scholes valuation model (assuming an expected term of five years), even when taking into account the reversal of original grant date fair value of the 2018 CEO Performance Award of approximately $2.3 billion.

Rolled out of “25% OTM 6-month” positions that targeted 50% returns before closing into a short-term play that appears will expire after the ER, then will sit back and let the dust settle:
  • 20Sep$210 and $230 (20% of shares) —> 3May$165 (now half of shares) for a pittance cost of $160
  • 26Apr$155 — still holding (25% “)

But Elon has choices too and that is what the shareholders should realize. Elon's eggs are in (Tesla, SpaceX, Boring, NeuraLink, X, xAI)

If he doesn't get the compensation package, he could walk away, minimize his role.
he could easily just go full throttle on xAI etc and just leave Tesla hanging. No succession plan etc.

For myself, I think the correct thing to do is to vote for it. But darn, wish he keeps the gen 3 along with robotaxi.
Which has me thinking whether I should buy shares with all the $ in NVDA etc from house cleaning yesterday.

Not sure about all them Directors though ;)

Look

It has already been reported that 4 of the largest institutional shareholders already went to the company and said for them to do this, that they would support it. You think Tesla would take this step without knowing what Blackrock, Vanguard, T Rowe Price and others will do? That’s not how the world works

Look

It has already been reported that 4 of the largest institutional shareholders already went to the company and said for them to do this, that they would support it. You think Tesla would take this step without knowing what Blackrock, Vanguard, T Rowe Price and others will do? That’s not how the world works
I didn’t know this. Thanks for the info. Glad to hear it.

Look

Is there a citation for this?

Reactions: OptionsGrinder
Ideally, I would like to increase my cash to protect margin requirements if the SP tanks after ER. I'm tempted to write ATM CCs on 1/3 of my shares for next week. But the fear that the SP goes up after ER is keeping me from doing it, even though my optimism about the stock gets proven wrong after each ER lately.... But if the strikes go $20+ ITM after ER, it will not be easy rolling them up and out.

i think green today then dump before the weekend; we'll know 3-4pm today

from my experience, now that they both fell from ATH, the beautiful thing about smci/nvda is that rolls work every single time - ITM eventually becomes OTM

not advice
Thanks for sharing the charts and for the non-advice. Gamma at 1k is looking pretty, although dealers may want to get SP to 1100 ... but there are bumps/stops along the way. l'lI sit tight through end of day. Ideally a same strike roll to next week can be avoided.

Reactions: UncaNed
from the proxy: "While the Company believes that the Ratification should be upheld by a Delaware court, the Special Committee noted that even a favorable vote by our stockholders to ratify the 2018 CEO Performance Award may not fully resolve the matter. "

This line probably not getting enough attention. Problem with the compensation wasn't that the shareholders never approved it. They did of course approve it. It was that the board isn't independent. That part hasn't been resolved.