Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the weekend:

How do you explain this?

Apple, $AAPL, has $380 billion in annual revenue and $125 billion in annual EBITDA with a $3 trillion market cap.

Nvidia, $NVDA, has $80 billion in annual revenue and $50 billion in annual EBTIDA with a $3 trillion market cap.

In other words, Nvidia and Apple have the same market cap but Apple has 5 TIMES more revenue.

Apple also has roughly 2.5 TIMES the EBITDA of Nvidia.

Is Apple too cheap or is Nvidia too expensive?

The most logical answer is that the market highly values growth.

Nvidia’s is trading like its growth potential is almost limitless.

Yet another reason AI companies are seeing massive premiums in this market.

(Credit: Kobeissi)

No, just 600; I try to have 21 -P laddered out at a time normally, but right now just the shares plus 6 -P. Monday I will target building up another 30-60 -P after split if the market gives me a chance, but not rushing it.
Sweet, I would think you could make nice premiums off 6000 shares. I wanted to have 300 shares before the split (not gonna make a difference if I had them today or accumulate in the coming weeks). I think having lots of shares is awesome for selling puts/calls

For the weekend:

How do you explain this?

Apple, $AAPL, has $380 billion in annual revenue and $125 billion in annual EBITDA with a $3 trillion market cap.

Nvidia, $NVDA, has $80 billion in annual revenue and $50 billion in annual EBTIDA with a $3 trillion market cap.

In other words, Nvidia and Apple have the same market cap but Apple has 5 TIMES more revenue.

AAPL net income
Screenshot_20240607_182505_Chrome~2.jpg

NVDA net income
Screenshot_20240607_182635_Chrome.jpg

Oh wait this is supposed to be for the whole weekend?

For the weekend:

How do you explain this?

Boph

For the weekend:

How do you explain this?

But can't we just do the same thing with

Totoya $300 Billion Annual Revenue, $49 Billion EBITDA $277 Billion market cap

Tesla $90 Billion Annual Revenue, $13 Billion EBITDA $$556 billion market cap

3 times more Revenue, 4 times more EBITDA

For the weekend:

How do you explain this?

Growth prospects I would say... Apple hasn't don't anything really innovative since Jobs left, just keeps refining products and adding services, which works out well, it's a cash-machine, but there's absolutely nothing coming that would really add to their bottom line

Reactions: Jim Holder
thats very impressive. Im sorry I dont realize Im turning into Kevin Malone as I age.
View attachment 1054525
But yeah, since the vote happens just 8 hours before weekly expiration, playing & closing just before Thursday close can burn most of extrinsic value off, even with a potential spike in IV.
Now that's much clearer ;)

But will Thursday be peak IV, or will it already crush a bit after CPI and FOMC... in any case, both of those events could move the markets so positioning for TSLA after that, at open on Thursday would likely be the lowest-risk entry-point...

One approach is indeed a wide strangle, another could be a straddle at least for those of us with plenty of long positions that can be written against - 200x +p150's, 55x +c200's, 26x +c170's, 100x +c300, etc. a 25 -ATM straddle would not be much of a risk IMO, but would likely pay out nicely if the stock were to not move in either direction...

Don't know, is the answer, will see next week...

That last paragraph doesnt mean those shares are unissued. It means those shares were issued only for the purposes of the plan. In other words: they had to issue brand new shares for the plan, as opposed to, says leftover shares from a secondary offering.
I believe @MP3Mike clarified this.

Elon's options are included in the fully diluted EPS calculation but the shares are not in the float.
Shares authorized at March 2024 are 6B . . . . but shares outstanding are a little over 3B. When Elon exercises, Tesla will issue new shares.
1717848832852.png

Fully Diluted EPS is computed by taking all options/warrants that are 'in the money' and assume as if they are outstanding.

Fully Diluted EPS = Earnings divided by shares (outstanding shares + options/warrants that are in the money).
Basic EPS = Earnings divided by shares (outstanding shares only).

Elon's options are included in the fully diluted EPS calculation but the shares are not in the float.
Shares authorized at March 2024 are 6B . . . . but shares outstanding are a little over 3B. When Elon exercises, Tesla will issue new shares.
View attachment 1054633

Fully Diluted EPS is computed by taking all options/warrants that are 'in the money' and assume as if they are outstanding.

Fully Diluted EPS = Earnings divided by shares (outstanding shares + options/warrants that are in the money).
As does Elon's holdings report:
SC 13G/A

SmartSelect_20240608_083440_Firefox.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: The Accountant
Do you see anything in the charts for NVDA/SMCI next week Yoona. SMCI is hitting lower BB again.
SMCI monthly has Inside Bar alert
1717851039421.png

1717850830902.png

"The Expected Move, which is also referred to as Implied Move, reflects the price range that a security is expected to move within from current price. The Expected Move is based on a one standard deviation (68% probability), and calculated using the at-the-money implied volatility of the respective options series. The range as predicted by the expected move can be used to target high and low prices, and are especially useful around earnings season."

Last edited:
Reactions: thenewguy1979

View attachment 1054633

Isn't there a GAAP charge that was realized with each tranche of options whose milestone was met as well? I think this is the real question-- what does the invalidation of the 2018 pay package mean for restated earnings and additional charges when a new grant is made?

Reactions: Jim Holder
Isn't there a GAAP charge that was realized with each tranche of options whose milestone was met as well? I think this is the real question-- what does the invalidation of the 2018 pay package mean for restated earnings and additional charges when a new grant is made?
Yes - over the years as the tranches were achieved, Tesla recorded $2.3B in charges (stock based compensation - all non-GAAP & non-cash charges).
If the current comp gets re-instated as if nothing happened, then no impact to P&L.

If they need to void old comp and re--issue a new comp (with same award), we could see a $54B non-GAAP, non-cash charge ($56B charge less $2B previously charged).
If this were to happen, since it is non-GAAP and non-cash, I believe analysts would exclude the charge from their models.

Yes - over the years as the tranches were achieved, Tesla recorded $2.3B in charges (stock based compensation - all non-GAAP & non-cash charges).
If the current comp gets re-instated as if nothing happened, then no impact to P&L.

If they need to void old comp and re--issue a new comp (with same award), we could see a $54B non-GAAP, non-cash charge ($56B charge less $2B previously charged).
If this were to happen, since it is non-GAAP and non-cash, I believe analysts would exclude the charge from their models.
I've tried to do the math in my brain but couldn't work it out as to why there's such a big jump.
In both scenarios, the stock gets diluted by ~10%
In both scenarios, the call strikes would be the same

I've tried to do the math in my brain but couldn't work it out as to why there's such a big jump.
In both scenarios, the stock gets diluted by ~10%
In both scenarios, the call strikes would be the same
What's causing the math problem I think is the horrible way GAAP accounting works.
When issued in 2018, the Black Scholes Model that is used to determine expense in the P&L computed that the expense was $2.3B.
If you take the same award today and use the Black Scholes model with the same strike price (while the stock is at $177), you get an expense of $56B or so.
GAAP is unusual in that once you determine the expense in 2018 for $2.3B, this expense never gets adjusted up as the value of the award increases.

What drives some people crazy (when it comes to tax fairness) is that Tesla would expense $2.3B on the 10K income state but take a $56B deduction on the tax return (though there are some limits for high executive compensation on the tax return).