Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the last 30 minutes, we drop from 1180 to 1162. Guess what Max Pain is this week...1160!!

Don't know if 1160 is the magnet as MMs and Shorts aren't always going to conclude on the same number. I imagine Shorts are smelling blood and may continue this game tomorrow. Pullback but not a crash as 20-day moving average moves up and the price moves down. I'll be happy for sideways/slight downs this week. Gives a chance to build solid support over time.

Tomorrow is a TSLA board meeting. Doubt there will be a stock split announcement but if there is. Whoa.
What was interesting to me was that the drop to the end cut the remaining value of my BPS almost in half. Almost triggered my 90% profit GTC. All within a couple of minutes. Did IV freak out?

anyhoo….I’m happy, will probably close tomorrow for 90%, and open a new position for Friday. A first for me, having two plays in one week.

i wish there is a way to download this thread into a PDF so i can easily copy/paste/print info that i need

searching through 500+ pages is a maxpain

trying to know more about the benefit of 100-300 spreads... especially about the part where the "-p is closed out earlier if it's threatened" and "+p can stay longer"

my $50 spreads are working beautifully and there is always time to react (due to far -p OTM) but maybe there is a better strategy

it is important to be educated on all the tricks of the trade!
Actually, my thought on the 200 spread, is to not close out the -p unless there is a black swan event that makes me think we are going to crash through it hard. Since I'm selling it so far OTM, it might be only worth $3 when I sell it. If it's threatened, it could easily be $10+ to buy it back until we get close to expiration. So I would wait and either let it expire worthless, or roll if it falls ITM. With the $50 spreads, on the other hand, I felt obligated to close (at a loss) if it was threatened, because ending ITM had fewer roll options and quickly went to max loss if the SP dropped a little more (but maybe I'm just too chicken to handle $50 spreads).

Last edited:
Look what we've gone and done (the "equity - puts" line turned negative according to this data, indicating a significant uptick in sold puts from "customers" - whatever that means):

FDmiXzhXMAwG5RE

What was interesting to me was that the drop to the end cut the remaining value of my BPS almost in half. Almost triggered my 90% profit GTC. All within a couple of minutes. Did IV freak out?

anyhoo….I’m happy, will probably close tomorrow for 90%, and open a new position for Friday. A first for me, having two plays in one week.
I'll have to adopt that nimbleness. In these volatile times, deploying two plays in a week may be my method. I was thinking of closing my BPS as it pancaked out. Looks like I'll have to cross my fingers for tomorrow and later this week.

But what if the SP gapped down 200 points before the options market opened? You can't always manage these things, especially under stress. I agree that's super rare, but that's also the definition of black swan.

I think ultra wide spreads are fine, so long as you've got the cash to roll or are ok with taking the shares. The majority of my cash is in naked puts or ultra wide spreads like this (some of witch are also underwater, lol). I don't consider those risky because I'd like to own stock. If we somehow dropped to $900 and I had naked puts there or enough cash to cover whatever # of contracts I'd sold, that would be a great time to add shares. Selling 25% ROIC 20 wide spreads is about 10% of my capital. My point was, if I wanted to make 100k, I would consider it riskier to put 2.2M @ 1% chance of failure than 400k at say 10%, because I can live with the latter but not the former.
Against a downturn you can always sell short shares in pre/aftermarket to balance options

Reactions: PastorDave
It was fun being in the +$500k/week club for a couple weeks, but then the -$3M/week club was no fun.... So now I'm happy to use $200 spreads instead of 4x $50 spreads, and make 1/3-1/2 the income (hopefully without any/few losses). The conservative approach will still be 10-20X more than I was making killing myself as a surgeon, so I shouldn't complain. (Of course I didn't dream of flying jets when I was just a doctor, but being an TSLA options trader really increases the standard of living....) :cool:
Thanks for describing my day so well. I was envious of all you having fun trading the nothing burger dip while I was 45 mins late on my schedule trying to sell some BPS at the dips on my trading platform on my iPhone between 2 patients complaining about how their hips make them suffer and bursting into tears explaining how her daughter prevents her from seeing her grand daughter because she is not following the tips of her dietitian and she’s was getting fatter. Seriously? What have I done to deserve this treatment while you guys were all enjoying your trading days?

Exactly. To me, this is "safe". To everyone else on this board, it's a gamble. I can manage the expected moves of the SP with very little problem. I can get in and get out and make informed decisions. What gets me is the unexpected moves, which could turn that 1% gain into a huge loss. That's what I think of as gambling, risking losses that large for gains that small. And again, I'm still selling ICs; just not at 2% ROIC.
I think that the point people are missing is that in this approach you don't use anything like all of the cash.

Making some #s up (I'm interested in learning better what real numbers are for you - standardizing to some total position is a good idea, IMHO):
- Given $1M in cash and a desire to earn $20k/week (2%), instead of using the $1M to sell 100x$100 wide spreads (very low premium that is very far OTM), one would instead use $80k invested at 25% return.

1/4th of $80k is that $20k target or 2% overall, but only has $80k in the pot.

For a max loss week that's $80k and there's still $920k remaining to continue, and in 4 weeks the $80k loss will have been earned back.

So the win rate is critical. If these are winning 9/10 then that's generating 10*$20k - $80k per 10 trades, or $120k total : $12k/week.

Then again the win rate is critical whatever the approach. Using that same $1M and 2% full positions, 1 max loss in 50 is enough to use up all of the gains. For weekly trades 1 max loss wipes out the year. And if it happens early in the year then there isn't enough of a pot remaining to get started again. Clearly managing these positions to << max loss is non-optional :).

With the $80k positions there are no black swans that can do very much to you.

OptionAlpha targets trades that have a 70% success rate. However, they say to only put 1-2% into any one trade. Since we are very concentrated in one stock, and all the trades are almost identical weekly trades, a 70% success rate will quickly wipe you out with a string of "bad luck." I will be curious to see how the Pastor is doing if we have 5-10% down/week for 6 weeks straight. Not trying to pick on him at all. I'm just trying to learn more, like I did debating $50 vs $200 spreads previously (where I thought I was right, until Hertz week and Adiggs convinced me otherwise).🧐
I provided my view on the wide spreads - you convinced yourself :D

One underappreciated benefit (I think) of the wide spreads is that they limit how many total spreads can be opened. 100x vs 50x spreads - the 100x will be losing money ~2x as fast as there are twice as many opportunities. I know its important to me!

i wish there is a way to download this thread into a PDF so i can easily copy/paste/print info that i need

searching through 500+ pages is a maxpain

trying to know more about the benefit of 100-300 spreads... especially about the part where the "-p is closed out earlier if it's threatened" and "+p can stay longer"

my $50 spreads are working beautifully and there is always time to react (due to far -p OTM) but maybe there is a better strategy

it is important to be educated on all the tricks of the trade!
Here's the way I see it, along with some thought exercises to try out some of the numbers for yourself.

The wider the spread, the more like a short put the spread behaves -- at least for some distance ITM. It doesn't behave like a short put at all prices of course. In a sense a short put is a +0p/-<strike>p. Of course it isn't actually but you could do up some math for a $400 wide spread - say on the $1000 strike. That'd be a 600/1000 - the premium received won't be far off of the 1000 strike premium, and you've got a window - $50 to $100? where that spread behaves and can be managed pretty much the same as a short put.

That's only valuable if one is comfortable with short puts of course :)

Thus the put spread is a form of leverage on cash secured puts - if nothing else these are available in retirement accounts where margin backed puts are not.

The second benefit to me is that wide spreads reduced the number of positions I can take. I could limit my # of positions as well, voluntarily, except that I've proven to my satisfaction that I'm not good at that. Maybe a closer to the money / small positions would work though - I know with certainty that I wouldn't be all in on that!

The reason I like them is that as long as the share price stays in the vicinity of the -p when it goes ITM (say <$50 on a $200 wide spread) then you've got room to maneuver (simple rolls) to gain time and a win. You also have a split roll availabe, where you turn the 1x $200 wide into 2x$100 wide spreads; or even 4x$50 wide spreads.

On a $50 wide spread you can only go ~$10 or 15 or so ITM and still have good roll options. Once you're $25 ITM then you're probably taking the loss as any rolls are going to have some cost to them (debit for the roll, or a worse -p strike).

I guess for me - do I prefer some room for management, or do I prefer a pattern with higher earnings and "take the loss" as the primary management choice. I've been going for the room to maneuver, but I'm finding the conversation about which to use and how, is awesome / vital / beneficial to us all. It might change my own approach, it might not - either way I'm getting smarter in something that is important to me.

A thought about risk: risk is really two components - likelihood of event, and impact of the event.

We all optimize this in our own way, and its on a continuum.
I'm doing the low likelihood of event / high impact of the event approach.
@PastorDave is on the higher likelihood / lower impact of the event end.

Last edited:
Making some #s up (I'm interested in learning better what real numbers are for you - standardizing to some total position is a good idea, IMHO):
- Given $1M in cash and a desire to earn $20k/week (2%), instead of using the $1M to sell 100x$100 wide spreads (very low premium that is very far OTM), one would instead use $80k invested at 25% return.

So that might look something like
  • 16x 11/12 1095/1145 currently paying ~$12.80 = $20.5k with a ~60% chance of 100% profit.
  • 40x 11/12 1110/1130 currently paying ~$5.05 = $20.1k with a ~69% chance of 100% profit.
That seems to be flying too close to the flames to me. (At least for the conditions of this week.) Though really both of those are only risking ~$60k, so here is an example really risking $80k:
  • 50x 11/12 1100/1120 currently paying ~$4.13 = $20.6k with a ~75% chance of 100% profit.
Or taken to the extreme:
  • 200x 11/12 1095/1100 currently paying ~$1.05 = $20.9k with a ~85% chance of 100% profit.

On Oct 26?

Then he's going to jail for failure to disclose within 2 days with the proper public form to the SEC.

So seems unlikely.
What if Elon, having made the decision last week to sell 10%, has already lined up the entities thru whom he'll eventually sell the shares and they've proactively naked shorted and sold a roughly equivalent amount of shares over the last three days and will continue this week?

• 16x 11/12 1095/1145 currently paying ~$12.80 = $20.5k with a ~60% chance of 100% profit.
  • 40x 11/12 1110/1130 currently paying ~$5.05 = $20.1k with a ~69% chance of 100% profit.
That seems to be flying too close to the flames to me. (At least for the conditions of this week.) Though really both of those are only risking ~$60k, so here is an example really risking $80k:
  • 50x 11/12 1100/1120 currently paying ~$4.13 = $20.6k with a ~75% chance of 100% profit.
Or taken to the extreme:
  • 200x 11/12 1095/1100 currently paying ~$1.05 = $20.9k with a ~85% chance of 100% profit.
Maybe I'm missing something, but all of those seem risky and very high potential to lose regardless of the % of cash used for contracts. I'm in need of some help to understand. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: AquaY
Or taken to the extreme:
Also would like to ask the same question the above poster asked. What is the point of selling 200 of those weekly spreads at a 20k net gain versus say 100 x 11/12 950P. From memory (from yesterdays open) it was a $25k net gain with a 95%+ Chance of 100% Profit. Is it simply due to the margin requirements?

Also would like to ask the same question the above poster asked. What is the point of selling 200 of those weekly spreads at a 20k net gain versus say 100 x 11/12 950P. From memory (from yesterdays open) it was a $25k net gain with a 95%+ Chance of 100% Profit. Is it simply due to the margin requirements?
Well you have to have $9.5 million dollars to back your proposed trade, instead of $80k for the more riskier trades I showed.

The point is that you are risking way less money, such that you don't get wiped out if things go wrong.

Hello gang!
so I had my experimental risky bps 11/12 of -p1200/+p1550.
Yesterday at market open I saw we have some strength developing, IV was spiking. Obviously the position was at almost max loss. So I went full Iron Fly on it, an opened a BCS -c1200/+c1250 for 11/12.

Additional credit received: $14.9. Original credit was $33.70. So now I have collected $48.66, and my max loss is $140 (5k-4866). Breakeven 1151.34 / 1248.66.

Gonna let this run for now. My other bps are -1100/+900 and -1000/+800, not really worried about those.

Well you have to have $9.5 million dollars to back your proposed trade, instead of $80k for the more riskier trades I showed.

The point is that you are risking way less money, such that you don't get wiped out if things go wrong.
I mean fair enough. I guess my fear is that $1100 is so close to where we are now and you only need another 0.5% To end up losing a boatload of money. Vs even just selling 2-3 950 puts so a much safer but smaller premium. I guess it depends on your risk profile.

Reactions: BornToFly
I'll have to adopt that nimbleness. In these volatile times, deploying two plays in a week may be my method. I was thinking of closing my BPS as it pancaked out. Looks like I'll have to cross my fingers for tomorrow and later this week.

I'm too busy to put it all into a spreadsheet, but I'm sure there's a case to be made to have 2 plays a week paying out say 50-70%, than one per week paying out 50-99%....

I'm too busy to put it all into a spreadsheet, but I'm sure there's a case to be made to have 2 plays a week paying out say 50-70%, than one per week paying out 50-99%....
I do it slightly differently, my preferred approach is to sell positions early in the week for expiry the week after, but to close those positions out when they hit >80% profits, which can often be Friday the same week, but more usually Monday/Tuesday the week after - so this seems to drain most of the theta out pretty quick, then I run again

After this last weekend, I'm thinking closing the Friday anyway might be better for my health - a closed trade no longer carries any risk and the less time the trade is open the better

I do it slightly differently, my preferred approach is to sell positions early in the week for expiry the week after, but to close those positions out when they hit >80% profits, which can often be Friday the same week, but more usually Monday/Tuesday the week after - so this seems to drain most of the theta out pretty quick, then I run again

After this last weekend, I'm thinking closing the Friday anyway might be better for my health - a closed trade no longer carries any risk and the less time the trade is open the better
Same thing here.
Last Friday sold a couple covered calls 11/12 1475 strike and I was lucky to be on the good side as I was expecting we reached almost the top however if you find yourself to be on the wrong side of the trade during the week end Twitter doldrums, it’s probably impacting the quality of sleep with large positions less OTM.