Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well all the times Tesla beat and SP dumped, hw about the converse for once...? 😆
But I have to admit, this time, today Yes, even against the S&P and Nasdaq Falling TSLA rises on a miss, where sustaining a 1.8 mn guideline is really no fundamental news (although I doubted it for this year just a few hours ago).
At least in case of Tesla this is a unique occurance .
Odd (fishy even?)
(still holding on to -C250 though)

Compared to Q1 ER (180-190 going into it):

Delivery dropped
ASP dropped
CT delivery late again

What's there for a run-up?

I can think of two reasons:

What if is there is a sudden fed pivot?

I want to see if we can clear 255. TSLA in general looks pretty strong, maybe the big boys are anticipating CT launch here in the next couple of weeks and that could be the sell the news event?

I want to see if we can clear 255. TSLA in general looks pretty strong, maybe the big boys are anticipating CT launch here in the next couple of weeks and that could be the sell the news event?
There cant be a Fed pivot until Nov FOMC. CPI trends lately have been up, not down. We're up a creek without paddles for another month.
CT delivery is cool and all, but is it enough for big bois to risk getting left holding the bag left by bigger bois? ER is the 800 lb gorilla and CT is just a distraction.

From what I have gathered Fed pivots precipitate market drops more often than not. The idea is that a pivot means the economy is weakening and the market likes to front run.

Looking to see if $251 can hold here.

1696265845757.png

Delivery dropped
ASP dropped
CT delivery late again

That’s a logical question, but as far as back I can remember, most stocks, and especially TSLA almost always rise in to ER - I don’t know if this is a function of shorts choosing to wait till the ER is out to short or what all other factors play in to this. Just a general observation.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
That’s a logical question, but as far as back I can remember, most stocks, and especially TSLA almost always rise in to ER - I don’t know if this is a function of shorts choosing to wait till the ER is out to short or what all other factors play in to this. Just a general observation.
This is false. A lot of stocks drop all the way going into ER. See NKE and FDX for fresh examples.
TSLA can rise into ER once there's no more meat on the bone for shorts. Is this it? Or is it going to be 220 before the rise?

This is false. A lot of stocks drop all the way going into ER. See NKE and FDX for fresh examples.
TSLA can rise into ER once there's no more meat on the bone for shorts. Is this it? Or is it going to be 220 before the rise?
I should have been more specific- I was mostly speaking from my experience with Tesla and other mega cap tech stocks - Since 2018, I have played an earnings run up trade (buy the stock about 2 weeks or less before ER date and sell just before ER), and it almost always worked.

In any case, I hope your prediction comes true so I can buy more TSLA in the 230s.

Last edited:

Delivery dropped
ASP dropped
CT delivery late again

I don't think it's going to be this Q, but one Q and pretty soon, Energy is going to be a big surprise. As of last Q it was already ~5% of Tesla's revenue, and margins were pushing 20%.

EPS for the year unchanged as annual guidance unchanged?

ASP has declined since original 1.8M guidance so I would think EPS would follow.

Some folks expect stuff like energy to magically save earnings here, but margin on storage was similar to auto last quarter (and they've cut prices on storage in recent months too)