Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Semi event = truck load of customer M3's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Listen everyone. I'm really only quoting one statement that is only being responded to .....not answered. A response and an answer are not the same thing.

Elon said that there isn't enough battery room in the Model 3 for any more batteries. I don't care about price or anything. He didn't say that there isn't enough financial room for more batteries. He said that there is no more physical room. How can that be when the roadster is smaller with twice the battery size. I'm not asking for speculation.....I'm asking for an answer which no one seems to have. If you don't have an answer then don't respond. Don't speculate. Just wait to answer if you don't have THE answer......not a possibility. I'm cool with that.

There isn't much else going on in the Model 3 world....just let the question marinade if it has to.
It’s pretty obvious he meant that there’s no room in the current design. If he wanted to spend time redesigning it to hold three times the batteries I’m sure it could be done. The roadster doesn’t have much storage room or a massive backseat with tons of headroom.

Everything in engineering is a compromise.

Listen everyone. I'm really only quoting one statement that is only being responded to .....not answered. A response and an answer are not the same thing.

The problem is that you keep asking these questions that no one can answer and that you keep implying that we're being lied to or otherwise misinformed. You're complaining about the specs of a car that whose design was finalized over a year ago in comparison to a car whose design is only now just getting started and you don't expect things to be different. Especially when you add in the fact that the newer car will cost upwards of 5 times the cost of the older one.

No one here can answer your question so please stop getting angry and restating it when someone gives you their honest opinion as a response. We are all painfully aware of how you feel and what you think.

The problem is that you keep asking these questions that no one can answer and that you keep implying that we're being lied to or otherwise misinformed. You're complaining about the specs of a car that whose design was finalized over a year ago in comparison to a car whose design is only now just getting started and you don't expect things to be different. Especially when you add in the fact that the newer car will cost upwards of 5 times the cost of the older one.

No one here can answer your question so please stop getting angry and restating it when someone gives you their honest opinion as a response. We are all painfully aware of how you feel and what you think.
You are stating a lot of things about me. I'm not accepting that and will not respond to that which may be designed to change the subject....but I refuse.

Runt8 ( above your post ) talked about the facts very well and that's a great response which is why I "liked" it. <------ clicked the like button.

Tesla put out information about 2 different cars. I don't care what timeframe the information came out. If no one can answer today.....that's fine....no problem. Hopefully someone with enough information will be able to answer one day. I don't need a real answer today or even in the next 3 months.

If you are reading me as being angry or something then.....let me borrow part of your first sentence......The real problem is that you aren't interpreting me very well at all.

You are stating a lot of things about me. I'm not accepting that and will not respond to that which may be designed to change the subject....but I refuse.

Runt8 ( above your post ) talked about the facts very well and that's a great response which is why I "liked" it. <------ clicked the like button.

Tesla put out information about 2 different cars. I don't care what timeframe the information came out. If no one can answer today.....that's fine....no problem. Hopefully someone with enough information will be able to answer one day. I don't need a real answer today or even in the next 3 months.

If you are reading me as being angry or something then.....let me borrow part of your first sentence......The real problem is that you aren't interpreting me very well at all.
I said it upthread, and I'll say it again. I am very doubtful that the Roadster, with today's batteries, could fit 200kWh. They are projecting based on changes they're expecting by 2020. That's why I think that today, they cannot fit more battery in the Model 3. In 2020, they may have that opportunity and it's worth discussion at that time.

Until there are Roadsters in production, the 200kWh number is an estimate of future ability, not something that's possible now.

Does anyone remember the picture of the pickup truck that was flashed on the screen right before the roadster rolled out of the Semi?

Behold! The 2019 Tesla Model 3!

Attachments

• screen-shot-2017-11-17-at-12-55-19-am.jpg
    screen-shot-2017-11-17-at-12-55-19-am.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 89
As I understand Volvo's approach, the platoon would be communicating P2P and would be able to maintain gaps that would discourage even a SoCal commuter. Drafting par excellence.
This is, I believe, the future of FSD. All cars driving closely behind each other, communicating through the computers and thus knowing what is ahead. There will be some sort of traffic control who monitors the whole process and there should be seperate lanes for FSD driving vehicles. Then I can see level 5 autonomy become a reality.

I think showing the Roadster is pure genius. So many people still think that it's impossible for an EV to beat an ice muscle car. I already saw a 'carguy' who regrets to have bought an Audi R8! There will be many like him after this event.

Roadster is the Tesla Star, the best of the best, showing ICE's are growing obsolete quickly. This changes peoples minds, just like the Tesla semi does (and model S/X/3).

Right now the majority still believe gasoline cars are better than EV's. Tesla is proving in every department people need to change their ideas.
That is the message of this event: EV's are already incomparably better then ICE's and the gap is growing every day for years to come.

While I agree somewhat, what is gained by showing the car guys that can afford a roadster(a small minority, of a small minority), that ICEs are obsolete, while the regular person can't even buy a car in the category they need/want as an EV?

And if you look at the size of the global 200k+ sports car market, there is not much improvement to be had. And it isn't even like those cars are even moved that often. The average Ferrari probably has a smaller carbon footprint, than the average Prius. And given the massive battery and the low mileage those cars usually have, this won't really help clean up our planet.

So while I like the Roadster, I don't think it was really important. But it was the only car they can reveal to gain some cash, w/o hurting M3/S/X sales. If they revealed an affordable pickup, or even worse the Model Y, they could spend the next years antiselling, again.

To me the roadster is a tool to bring some much needed cash into Tesla's pockets. I's still great for all the people that can afford a 200k toy, but other than that it won't have much of an impact on anything.

Reactions: kablammyman
You're missing the point @R.S. Elon isn't after shortterm success (money, serving rich people). He's proving a point. ICE's are outperformed *in every department*. Whether it's a city car (3SR), entry luxury car (3LR), entry SUV (Y), luxury sedan (S), luxury SUV (X), supercar (Roadster), Semi or Pickup, gascars are no competition. He has shown that EV's are allround cleaner, less expensive and simply better.

That's why Tesla puts in all the R&D. He wants to show the full potential of EV's. ICE cars are outclassed now and they will be even more in the future. That's what Elon is proving. Not because of his ego (that will undoubtedly be satisfied), but for the sake of the generations to come. Setting up sustainable transport/energy usage is where he's after. And he's the only manufacturer in the world (or at least the only one who has been able to make any impact).

You're missing the point @R.S. Elon isn't after shortterm success (money, serving rich people). He's proving a point. ICE's are outperformed *in every department*. Whether it's a city car (3SR), entry luxury car (3LR), entry SUV (Y), luxury sedan (S), luxury SUV (X), supercar (Roadster), Semi or Pickup, gascars are no competition. He has shown that EV's are cleaner, less expensive and simply better.

Really? So the S is cheaper than a 5 series? The 3SR is cheaper than a corolla? Where is the Tesla Pickup? Where is the luxury entry SUV?

I generally agree EVs are better, or at least have the potential to be, but this year the best selling non truck in the USA will probably be the Toyota Rav4 with almost 500k units, a midsize CUV from 24-29k minus whatever you can squeeze out of the dealer. Now that vehicle needs an EV competitor for it to really matter, not the Audi R8 which was sold a whopping 736 times last year.

And I think nobody who buys a Rav4, or a CRV, or a Camry... is really interested in performance.

So you can argue that there is some deeper meaning behind it, I say it's at least a thousand times 250k. Which isn't exactly bad for a company losing in excess of a billion dollars each quarter. And don't get me wrong, I don't think that's a bad reason, nor do I think they should have shown any other concept. I don't even complain about the pace Tesla is moving at, or their products.

But the main reason for the Roadster is cash, not some idealistic mission to convince petrol heads. The other possibility would actually be ego, which Elon has a lot of, but I think he is a sensible enough CEO to not hurt his company with ego based decisions. This isn't Tesla's Veyron, or at least I hope it isn't.

Reactions: kablammyman
Really? So the S is cheaper than a 5 series? The 3SR is cheaper than a corolla? Where is the Tesla Pickup? Where is the luxury entry SUV?
I generally agree EVs are better, or at least have the potential to be, but this year the best selling non truck in the USA will probably be the Toyota Rav4 with almost 500k units, a midsize CUV from 24-29k minus whatever you can squeeze out of the dealer. Now that vehicle needs an EV competitor for it to really matter, not the Audi R8 which was sold a whopping 736 times last year.
And I think nobody who buys a Rav4, or a CRV, or a Camry... is really interested in performance.

So you can argue that there is some deeper meaning behind it, I say it's at least a thousand times 250k. Which isn't exactly bad for a company losing in excess of a billion dollars each quarter. And don't get me wrong, I don't think that's a bad reason, nor do I think they should have shown any other concept. I don't even complain about the pace Tesla is moving at, or their products.

But the main reason for the Roadster is cash, not some idealistic mission to convince petrol heads. The other possibility would actually be ego, which Elon has a lot of, but I think he is a sensible enough CEO to not hurt his company with ego based decisions. This isn't Tesla's Veyron, or at least I hope it isn't.
Until they repeatedly have Model 3s and Ys blow past them.