Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Catches Hit in Parking Lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t want to deal with putting it through my insurance company.

The local police were happy to get involved once I told them the video showed the license plate and driver’s face. They didn’t care that it was a private parking lot. I already provided the video to them and filed a report. I’m not exactly sure what they’re going to do, since I doubt this qualifies as hit-and-run. But, the officer did say there would be a report and I’d be able to get her insurance info. With that and the video I should be able to make a claim against her insurance.

I was reimbursed for much less on a similar claim on an older BMW (that was still in good shape). I had eye witness leave a note that they saw someone hit my car and provided the plate number. With this information my insurance was able to track down their insurance and I was able to leverage a claim and payout against the at fault parts insurance.

I recommend finding the most expensive/competent shop in town and getting a repair estimate then talking to your insurance about fighting the at fault party. I didnt have a police report or video, just eye witness and visable light bumper damages. Threatening court if needed (small claims is possible but you don’t need to say its small claims). You can also threaten to file a complaint with the state regulatory body for insurance.

Also consider Diminished Value and loss of use if you get it repaired. A rental is worth $200-250 per day.

Accountability is the only way to stop ppl from not caring.

Last edited:
Those really are some price differences. I just pulled up my quote from Tesla and the bumper replacement with a pre-painted bumper is $432. Happy to share the paperwork if anyone is interested. The higher number from my local place was because they re-applied the ceramic coating and some PPF.

Labor totaled $338.80.
Parts are $5.00 (not a typo.)
Paint is $87.00

Also, since the above seems odd, here is the email text. The estimate was attached in a PDF but I don't have the skills to block out the personal information.

"Hello,

I am sorry to see you were in an accident I hope you are doing okay. I have reviewed the photos and attached an estimate to fix the damages, it is really straight forward you will be needing some repair on the bumper. Our Marietta shop does not have paint capabilities yet so what we would do is get a bumper from the Tesla plant in California and have it painted. After paint the bumper will be shipped to the body shop at which point they will contact you to schedule a time for you to come in. This process can take 2-4 weeks depending on how available parts are, I know this sounds like a long wait but this will drastically cut down on the time that you are without your Tesla.

Please take a look and let me know if you have any questions once we have your approval we will get parts ordered.

Thanks"

Edit:
Down and dirty picture of my computer screen.

Just FYI in case you didn't notice but your real name and email address are in that PDF.

Spoke to a sheriff in Carnation WA about a tailgating driver who went zipping around me across a double yellow when I was doing the speed limit. I hit “save”, so I figured I’d ask. Sherif was *very* interested to learn the capabilities of the camera system, but advised that they are required to identify the individual driving the car. They can’t issue tickets and such against the vehicle, only the driver.

Something to know if you find yourself in the OPs situation and you want to put your video to work.

Probably depends on local laws. As far as I remember sometimes the owner can be held responsible for the damages caused bu the vehicle. You could sue a driver and the owner if they do immense damges to you but Im not a lawyer so dont qoute me on that.

Sorry but you’re wrong. Deductible definitely still applies.
If he is not at full and can identify the at fault party his deductible does not matter. I have been hit in a parking lot like this and collected on a settlement. I have been rear ended on my tesla and am collecting on a insurance settlement. Both without my deductible being subtracted from the damages as I was not at fault.

I have seen A LOT of cars hit another car... and drove to a different parking spot to park. I will leave a note on the car that got hit with other car's license plate number and make/model.

It's kind of hard to tell if she noticed it or not... at one point she did seem like she glance OP's rear bumper. Interesting thing is that if she would have backed out and park somewhere else, there would be no camera footage at all. The only reason it records was because she got out of the car next to OP's car. Sentry mode does not record a car pull in next to your car unless a person got in/out.
Thank you for leaving notes! I had an eye witness leave a note and I was able to get a claim against the at faults party. People like you make the world a better place for those that care about the world.

next year renewal premium happens to increase at a level never seen before..... Insurance companies, like lawyer’s fees, are ALWAYS paid b
Not in MA - your individual rates dd not go up based on your no fault claim. Rates can go up for the whole area based on total claims experience with auto. HO doesn't either but they can drop you or a new company can surcharge you based in n claims history.

I'll have to triple check when I get home (car is currently at the airport until Friday), but the ones I looked at last week were triggered by cars driving by and parking behind me. I guess I can't say for sure someone didn't walk by my car after parking their car, so I will certainly look, as I'll have plenty of data to look through. If anyone else could confirm, would be great info to have.
@Need
Here's a Sentry trigger event that only recorded a car driving in front of my car (and a person far away in the repeaters). No people on either side. Front and repeaters combined into one video.

@Need
Here's a Sentry trigger event that only recorded a car driving in front of my car (and a person far away in the repeaters). No people on either side. Front and repeaters combined into one video.

Which minute was that? Was that the most recent full minute? That's the one that should have the video of the trigger. If that was the most recent full minute, then did you get an alarm? It could be a loud sound triggered the alarm and started the recording even though no one was near by.

Which minute was that? Was that the most recent full minute? That's the one that should have the video of the trigger. If that was the most recent full minute, then did you get an alarm? It could be a loud sound triggered the alarm and started the recording even though no one was near by.
It's from March 31 (first day I parked at the airport this week). I've got several hundred more saved clips. Haven't look through them all, but the ones I have looked at also saved clips of just cars driving by.

I'm assuming all Saved Clips are done via Sentry Mode? Or will the camera's save clips when it detects motion (like mine is doing), but those aren't actually Sentry mode if there's no event?

Edit: I did not get an alarm. Is that sent to your phone when you get an alarm? I've never gotten one while using Sentry mode, but as mentioned above I have tons of saved clips.

Last edited:
It's from March 31 (first day I parked at the airport this week). I've got several hundred more saved clips. Haven't look through them all, but the ones I have looked at also saved clips of just cars driving by.

I'm assuming all Saved Clips are done via Sentry Mode? Or will the camera's save clips when it detects motion (like mine is doing), but those aren't actually Sentry mode if there's no event?

Edit: I did not get an alarm. Is that sent to your phone when you get an alarm? I've never gotten one while using Sentry mode, but as mentioned above I have tons of saved clips.

When I said which minute, I meant which minute within the 10 minutes inside a folder. There should be 30 or so files inside the folder, you need to find the most recent full minute (3 files) within a folder. They should 29MB in size not smaller. The smaller size files are the left over minute after the event.

I am 100% sure the clip you showed was not the minute that triggers the event. You have to remember the saved event is 10 minutes long (30 min with 3 angles). 27 to 29 of them are just recordings that has nothing to do with the event.

When I said which minute, I meant which minute within the 10 minutes inside a folder. There should be 30 or so files inside the folder, you need to find the most recent full minute (3 files) within a folder. They should 29MB in size not smaller. The smaller size files are the left over minute after the event.

I am 100% sure the clip you showed was not the minute that triggers the event. You have to remember the saved event is 10 minutes long (30 min with 3 angles). 27 to 29 of them are just recordings that has nothing to do with the event.
Ah, I think I see what you mean. Let me look.

@Need

I think I'm finally seeing what you are meaning. Here's the last full minute clip of the front cam from that same folder. Guy walking in front of my car.

So, are you saying this is what triggered Sentry and then saved the prior ten minute clips? And if so, should I get a warning on my phone?

If he is not at full and can identify the at fault party his deductible does not matter. I have been hit in a parking lot like this and collected on a settlement. I have been rear ended on my tesla and am collecting on a insurance settlement. Both without my deductible being subtracted from the damages as I was not at fault.

We are on the internet, there must be 1000+ different insurance companies and jurisdictions weighing on this. There is no one right answer

@Need

I think I'm finally seeing what you are meaning. Here's the last full minute clip of the front cam from that same folder. Guy walking in front of my car.

So, are you saying this is what triggered Sentry and then saved the prior ten minute clips? And if so, should I get a warning on my phone?

Yes that IS the trigger. And yeah it saved that min and the previous 9 minutes. It also saved a partial minute after the event. That's why you should just look at the most recent FULL minute in the folder to see the actual event. The previous 9 minutes are pretty much just random stuff happening far from your car.

And no you won't get a notification on just a video saved recording. You get notification on an alarm. The alarm is triggered by sound not by people near your car. It is trying to detect a loud sound like another car hit your car while parked or your car's window broke. Some people said a loud motorcycle drove by would also trigger it.

If you get a notification/alarm and you can't find people near your car in the most recent full minute, it just mean that your car heard a very loud sound in that minute. And since the video does not have audio.. you don't really know what tripped it.

Last edited:
@Need

@Need

Help me out here. Just looked at another serious of clips (final minute for 3 cams from the folder) and I only see a car driving by, no people. I'm back to thinking my car is recording any motion that it sees - people or cars walking/driving by. Thanks, just trying to figure out what is normal..