Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor SentryAI: AI-filtering for humans in Sentry/Dashcam footage!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: hydro 481
How do you ensure the pi is still on to upload all data to your computer when the car turns off after coming in the house?
Take a look at this:
marcone/teslausb
The software configured the Pi to upload videos once you get home and begins uploading. The car typically remains on a while before going to sleep. That amount of time has been more than enough to upload all my videos. You can also wake the car up or just turn on climate control to finish uploading. One other feature of the software is you can use log on to the Pi while on the road through WiFi and take a look at any videos when you’re not home.

Take a look at this:
marcone/teslausb
The software configured the Pi to upload videos once you get home and begins uploading. The car typically remains on a while before going to sleep. That amount of time has been more than enough to upload all my videos. You can also wake the car up or just turn on climate control to finish uploading. One other feature of the software is you can use log on to the Pi while on the road through WiFi and take a look at any videos when you’re not home.

I care more about viewing events as soon as I get them, i.e. if I get in my car and see some events, I would like to see them.

This was the whole reason I got the roadie, for its portability, but the loading time is just unbearable. It takes me less time to use a USB and plug it into my phone than wait for the Roadie to load one video.

However, I didn't know about logging into the Pi while on the road. You still need to connect the car to an actual WIFI and not using LTE?

I care more about viewing events as soon as I get them, i.e. if I get in my car and see some events, I would like to see them.

This was the whole reason I got the roadie, for its portability, but the loading time is just unbearable. It takes me less time to use a USB and plug it into my phone than wait for the Roadie to load one video.

However, I didn't know about logging into the Pi while on the road. You still need to connect the car to an actual WIFI and not using LTE?
Nope. The Pi acts as it’s own access point, if you configure it that way during the teslausb setup. So all you’d need to do is log on to it and view your videos.

Reactions: 6thDAY
Any lag time with viewing videos?....and what 3rd party app are you using to view it on the road?
No lag that I experienced. Right now any native player works but you can also use vlc, etc. As I mentioned earlier, it’s also important to get an sd card designed for dashcams. This is why I’m really excited about using the sentryai app when wireless access is integrated into the app.

Pi 4 would be overkill in terms of power required as well as thermal issues in my opinion. And the pi zero w is cheaper.
There are a few of us using the Pi 4. While you’re correct that it contains more processing power than necessary for just dashcam and Sentry recording along with as a music storage device, if someone is planning to do more - like run Plex as a media server - then it is nice to have. I also can confirm absolutely no thermal issues whatsoever. The difference in price between the Zero and 4B is meaningless for most people. Of course, if the Zero is all someone needs then they should just get the Zero.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
A lot of us have ac Endurance MircroSD card paired with a USB card reader for the sentry cam. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D72L4Q7

This USB card reader has it's own lightning adapter. Will you be able to test compatibility with it?

Also, how long will the launch price lasts. Don't want to purchase it just to find out it doesn't work with my setup.

Tested the app with a generic microSD / SD card -> lightning adapter and works great! Added it to the list of recommended adapters / storage devices for the app on our buyer's guide.

As for the suntrsi adapter, I plugged that into a USB-A -> lightning adapter, and that works as well. But I would recommend a direct microSD / SD -> lightning for faster read/write.

Thanks

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: mikeshyu
Tested with the microSD / SD card adapter and works great! Will add to the list of recommended adapters / storage devices for the app.

Thanks

Hope the Roadie arrives to you soon so you can test it.

One of the things I hate about the Roadie is having to scroll through dozens of clips where the majority of them are false positives, i.e no human interaction.

I hope you can make the wireless connection work well with SentryAI with no noticeable buffering!

I'm excited to try it out once I know it works on your end.

James,

I'm wondering how you're going to approach the Roadie because it doesn't use the traditional TeslaCam folder that USBs do. If SentryAI solely relies on ensuring that a TeslaCam folder exist, then there's a limitation.

Attached is some partial contents of what's in the Roadie micro-SD card.

I hope you can overcome it.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 50