Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service and communication (out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something about poor customer service ruining the company eventually compelling EV buyers to buy non-Tesla EVs.

If you think about it, the service complaints he had are one of the bigger reasons why Tesla is succeeding spectacularly after the most recent quarter. Tesla is not ever going to be all things to all people and they could drive themselves into the ground trying to placate everyone like Neroden. It's expensive. And know that there are also Tesla owners out there who are also big-time short-sellers who take pleasure in nit-picking the service and clogging up the service cues over the most inane issues.

BTW, why is everyone so fixated on a below-average amateur analyst like Neroden who couldn't see the forest for the trees? He was wrong and stubborn and highly repetitive (as if saying something enough times made him right) and he's not here taking this ride with us. Can we just let him go in peace?

Last edited:
If you think about it, the service complaints he had are one of the bigger reasons why Tesla is succeeding spectacularly after the most recent quarter. Tesla is not ever going to be all things to all people and they could drive themselves int the ground trying to placate everyone like Neroden. It's expensive. And know that there are also Tesla owners out there who are also big-time short-sellers who take pleasure in nit-picking the service and clogging up the service cues over the most inane issues.

BTW, why is everyone so fixated on a below-average amateur analyst like Neroden who couldn't see the forest for the trees? He was wrong and stubborn and highly repetitive (as if saying something enough times made him right) and he's not here taking this ride with us. Can we just let him go in peace?
I wouldn't say fixated, but he gets mentioned from time to time because he was 1) a prolific poster, 2) extremely opinionated and 3) some feel, insightful. You disagree, fair enough. But that is why.

edited to add, @Nocturnal is right, I forgot to list "rude" -- you can be extremely opinionated and still be polite. The rudeness didn't bother me, but I'm aware that it was there.

Reactions: ccook and madodel
If you think about it, the service complaints he had are one of the bigger reasons why Tesla is succeeding spectacularly after the most recent quarter. Tesla is not ever going to be all things to all people and they could drive themselves int the ground trying to placate everyone like Neroden. It's expensive. And know that there are also Tesla owners out there who are also big-time short-sellers who take pleasure in nit-picking the service and clogging up the service cues over the most inane issues.

I agree with all of this. Firing unprofitable customers is an excellent strategy. There was a thread not to long ago about some nut who had refused delivery on 3 model 3s and was mad that he couldn't order a 4th. Unreal. Regarding that guy, yeah. I don't like bagging on people who aren't around, but he was quite rude to me during a disagreement on taxis. He thought that limiting cab licenses was good for consumers because it would prevent a glut of cabs which would force cabs to exist the business. Central planning is rarely a good idea. I don't understand his fame here. If you can't argue about a basic principle of economics without insulting the other person, that's a problem.

I wouldn't say fixated, but he gets mentioned from time to time because he was 1) a prolific poster, 2) extremely opinionated and 3) some feel, insightful. You disagree, fair enough. But that is why.

edited to add, @Nocturnal is right, I forgot to list "rude" -- you can be extremely opinionated and still be polite. The rudeness didn't bother me, but I'm aware that it was there.
I disagreed with him frequently, but valued his input and he was a smart (if glass half empty) kinda guy. People like that are missed when they are gone.

He became convinced that Tesla would fail due to customer service issues. I haven't talked to him since just prior to the mentioned sale, but others who did said he went through with it.

I had contemplated weighing in on this earlier and had written:

I like @neroden and miss his insights. I wish him the best, including financially. But if you lose sight of how a company is succeeding then you cannot tell when it will fail and run the risk of unexpectedly losing your investment. That's a rough paraphrase of something he said, and something I took to heart. I think that is essentially what happened -- he became a single issue investor (customer service) and felt that Tesla was not only currently failing at that, but that it would become a big enough issue to kill the company.

Obviously I disagree, but its his money, not mine. And he manages his wealth better than I manage mine...

He often got singularly focused on other topics. Which in and of itself isn’t a bad thing; details are important. Except over focus on details can blind you to absolutely everything else.

Customer service IS important to Tesla’s success, but it’s not the singular most important aspect, or even in the top 3 most important aspects. It MIGHT hit the top 10 list, but only nearer the bottom.

He couldn’t see that because of his personal experiences and bias. He got caught thinking everyone else thought like him.

Some people care about being treated like royalty, most just don’t want to be ripped off, lied to, inconvenienced too terribly or outright ignored.

Tesla service/sales employees make mistakes. Tesla higher ups make mistakes. But on the whole they try very hard to rectify and make things right.

Anyway, my 10 bagger is alive and well. I’ve opened both eyes now, but still yawning with general boredom. Maybe next week I’ll get up and stretch. Maybe not.

He often got singularly focused on other topics. Which in and of itself isn’t a bad thing; details are important. Except over focus on details can blind you to absolutely everything else.

Customer service IS important to Tesla’s success, but it’s not the singular most important aspect, or even in the top 3 most important aspects. It MIGHT hit the top 10 list, but only nearer the bottom.

He couldn’t see that because of his personal experiences and bias. He got caught thinking everyone else thought like him.

Some people care about being treated like royalty, most just don’t want to be ripped off, lied to, inconvenienced too terribly or outright ignored.

Tesla service/sales employees make mistakes. Tesla higher ups make mistakes. But on the whole they try very hard to rectify and make things right.

Anyway, my 10 bagger is alive and well. I’ve opened both eyes now, but still yawning with general boredom. Maybe next week I’ll get up and stretch. Maybe not.
"singularly focused" -- after I wrote my post I realized that I said he became a single-issue investor, but I failed to take advantage of drawing parallels with voting. So I'm just pointing that out -- I think it is important, whether voting with dollars (investing) or at the polls to not allow a single issue to cause a loss of perspective.

If you think about it, the service complaints he had are one of the bigger reasons why Tesla is succeeding spectacularly after the most recent quarter. Tesla is not ever going to be all things to all people and they could drive themselves into the ground trying to placate everyone like Neroden. It's expensive. And know that there are also Tesla owners out there who are also big-time short-sellers who take pleasure in nit-picking the service and clogging up the service cues over the most inane issues.

I’m glad I didn’t hear he had sold out or I would have been tempted to do the same. He was a long-term steady bull until he started freaking out about the service issues. I got the impression that the fact you couldn’t call service was killing him, but the rest of us are comfortable using the app.

He was a super good guy and I miss him.

He became convinced that Tesla would fail due to customer service issues. I haven't talked to him since just prior to the mentioned sale, but others who did said he went through with it.

I had contemplated weighing in on this earlier and had written:

I like @neroden and miss his insights. I wish him the best, including financially. But if you lose sight of how a company is succeeding then you cannot tell when it will fail and run the risk of unexpectedly losing your investment. That's a rough paraphrase of something he said, and something I took to heart. I think that is essentially what happened -- he became a single issue investor (customer service) and felt that Tesla was not only currently failing at that, but that it would become a big enough issue to kill the company.

Obviously I disagree, but its his money, not mine. And he manages his wealth better than I manage mine...

@neroden is a nice person, very intelligent. I think he made two mistakes. His thought that Tesla will fail because of bad service is not correct.

Tesla is not ever going to be all things to all people and they could drive themselves into the ground trying to placate everyone like Neroden. It's expensive.
The problem is not just "everyone like Neroden". It's huge Tesla fans who recently purchased new Tesla's that have repeatedly been denied needed service for no good reason. I've linked it a number of times previously so won't do so again but check the Service Issues thread where most recently someone I know casually has had Tesla fail to show up for SEVEN scheduled appointments, some of those with no notification. That is simply not acceptable. I don't think it's a company killer, yet, and I expect Tesla to deal with this issue before it reaches that level, but turning off paying customers and fans is not sustainable, and there is no good excuse for that to ever happen. There is a structural problem in service which needs to be fixed.

About neroden: All companies have problems. All of them. When you are working in one or see it up close like we do, the problems can seem huge, but in reality they might be a lot smaller than other companies. In particular with Tesla, while it has tactical and execution issues here and there, strategically it is very sound. Especially compared to the competition.