Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service BLOWS - yep, you've been telling me...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my 2016 Model S (90D) since March 2016. There was no near by service center (I live north of Pittsburgh, PA) and for the few service needs the Tesla service van was always prompt. When the service center opened near Wexford, PA (a few miles form my home) they have been outstanding in their communications, work and willingness to work with me on any of the FEW issues I have had. On example was a text message sent to me regarding a replacement HV battery (the BIG one). I called to find out why and was told they detected an issue and a replacement was ordered. I had not detected any issues myself. As usual, for any service I request and have been provided a loaner to use. In this case I received a loaner and after they had the car for a few hours they CALLED me to tell me the replacement HV battery pack had an issue and another one was ordered and woudl take a few days. Without asking they told me to keep the loaner until they received the new HV battery pack and completed the installation. I basically have used the service center 1-2 times a year, one time for the annual maintenance check and any other time for warranty service recall notices, like the Takata air bag. Other than that the car has performed exceptionally well compared to other luxury cars I have owned, my last being a Lexus 450H. Next year I will replace my current 2016 Model S 90D with a new Model S with the extended range and upgraded technology.

It is unfortunate that some experience poor service center customer service but this is NOT the experience of the majority of owners. I could tell horror stories of poor customer service from other luxury car companies like BMW, Mercedes and Lexus but like Tesla it depends on the specific service center and service center management.

...and sometimes it's not even the service center as a whole and it could be the one individual you are dealing with. I'm sure most people have experienced both exceptional and terrible service from different employees of a particular business and when you are on the receiving end of the terrible service, it's easy to blame upward to the entire location or even corporation.

I’ve just finished my 5th service visit in 2 months - my service centre in Heathrow UK is a mixed bag - service advisors are ok but the engineers are not great - they have capacity issues too - the external body shop is appalling

I like the car but cannot say my next one will be a Tesla - they just cannot cope with the service unless the production quality improves and/or the service centres scale at least 5x

I have had my 2016 Model S (90D) since March 2016. There was no near by service center (I live north of Pittsburgh, PA) and for the few service needs the Tesla service van was always prompt. When the service center opened near Wexford, PA (a few miles form my home) they have been outstanding in their communications, work and willingness to work with me on any of the FEW issues I have had. On example was a text message sent to me regarding a replacement HV battery (the BIG one). I called to find out why and was told they detected an issue and a replacement was ordered. I had not detected any issues myself. As usual, for any service I request and have been provided a loaner to use. In this case I received a loaner and after they had the car for a few hours they CALLED me to tell me the replacement HV battery pack had an issue and another one was ordered and woudl take a few days. Without asking they told me to keep the loaner until they received the new HV battery pack and completed the installation. I basically have used the service center 1-2 times a year, one time for the annual maintenance check and any other time for warranty service recall notices, like the Takata air bag. Other than that the car has performed exceptionally well compared to other luxury cars I have owned, my last being a Lexus 450H. Next year I will replace my current 2016 Model S 90D with a new Model S with the extended range and upgraded technology.

It is unfortunate that some experience poor service center customer service but this is NOT the experience of the majority of owners. I could tell horror stories of poor customer service from other luxury car companies like BMW, Mercedes and Lexus but like Tesla it depends on the specific service center and service center management.

A few months ago I made a post about getting great service. It was amazing how many people came out of the woodwork and agreed with me. But the whiners, and they're loud, love the feeling of calling out Tesla!

Everyone on the forums base their opinions on what they read on the forums. Everyone should already know that only people with quality and service issues report on the forum.....and not all of them. You never hear from the hundreds of thousands of other owners who don't have those issues. So what is the real truth? Tesla sure doesn't report them.

LOL, baloney. I don't post about my crappy service that often but believe me, Telsa knows about it. I have plenty of people who aren't on forums that I speak to that have experienced the same.

This is a tired forum trope dragged out whenever someone complains. Trust me, there's enough smoke to indicate fire on the service front.

LOL, baloney. I don't post about my crappy service that often but believe me, Telsa knows about it. I have plenty of people who aren't on forums that I speak to that have experienced the same.

This is a tired forum trope dragged out whenever someone complains. Trust me, there's enough smoke to indicate fire on the service front.

Name a car company where you'd say "Their service is the best!"
Funny how I dealt with a warranty issue in a professional manner when I didn't have to and I now have the personal email and direct phone number to the service manager. The rest of the entitled Karens can keep up their attitudes and be frustrated for life!

Funny how I dealt with a warranty issue in a professional manner when I didn't have to and I now have the personal email and direct phone number to the service manager. The rest of the entitled Karens can keep up their attitudes and be frustrated for life!
That's the thing, you shouldn't have to compare. It shouldn't be a battle. They should just have good service.
The fact that a phone number to a human doesn't exist is just the first major issue of many of how the company's service operates poorly.

I love Tesla. I am a shareholder and early Model 3 reservation holder. I tell everyone I know to buy a Tesla, that they won't regret it. Then I experience the service and it completely ruins it for me. I don't want to see Tesla burn, I want to see it succeed. Voicing your concerns and complaints may "hurt" Tesla in the short term, but it greatly "helps" Tesla in the long run.
As everyone says, there's always room for improvement.

That's the thing, you shouldn't have to compare. It shouldn't be a battle. They should just have good service.
The fact that a phone number to a human doesn't exist is just the first major issue of many of how the company's service operates poorly.

I love Tesla. I am a shareholder and early Model 3 reservation holder. I tell everyone I know to buy a Tesla, that they won't regret it. Then I experience the service and it completely ruins it for me. I don't want to see Tesla burn, I want to see it succeed. Voicing your concerns and complaints may "hurt" Tesla in the short term, but it greatly "helps" Tesla in the long run.

Oh but if you're nice you can get that phone number and email to a Boston area service manager.
In fact, I could probably charge a ransom for it:D

• Funny
Reactions: Phlier
Oh but if you're nice you can get that phone number and email to a Boston area service manager.
In fact, I could probably charge a ransom for it:D
I'm not in Boston and I have been nice up until they turned me away to correct a blatantly obvious problem and claimed it was normal.
It took 3 service appointments for them to agree to fix the problem, which themselves even concluded "noticeably helped".
Just because some of us are cranky about the quality of service, doesn't mean we weren't nice to the service team.

@DJKappeler I went to Tyson’s service center earlier this week for exactly the same problem. During the check-in process, when the check-in rep informed me that the wait would be about a week, I refused to l leave my car with no loaner available. So the rep offered mobile service instead.

Mobile service came by my house on Friday, took care of the HVAC cleaning and replaced the filters. All told, about 45 minutes. It was a great experience not having to go anywhere and leave the car for days at a time.

It is surprising to me as well that Tesla wouldn’t move minor jobs and repairs to mobile service proactively when the service center gets so busy. In the future I am going to ask for mobile service in my note when describing the issue for which I am scheduling a service appointment. The mobile service tech suggested it may help get mobile service.

Opposite coast here and also had mobile do my A/C cleaning and new filters. I requested it. Great experience.

Lexus. Impeccable service in all my dealings. Several BMW dealers I have dealt with, but others have been nightmares. My local Porsche dealer is also ace. Never an issue with a loaner, always greeted with a smile, over-communicate, work is done on time and fully explained. And yes, I have left good reviews, and also recommended people go there. Both on forums and in person. I have cell phone numbers for several service writers and managers at multiple dealers as well.

I worked for a high end retailer for 6 years. Customer service is not an accident. The people who are point of contacts are well trained in how to meet and greet customers, handle problems, and resolve situations. They are empowered to make decisions without fear of retribution or impact. Both sides should, and can, walk away happy. We are trained on how conflict resolution, how to deal with difficult buyers, and also how to understand different cultural approaches to conflict. Everything from how the phone should be answered, how long to respond to an email, to how to tell if a person is mad based on their gender, age, ethnicity, etc. to

It is obvious that Tesla does not care about customer service. I've bought two now and can tell that they don't train their people to give a crap about it whatsoever based on my experiences.

But thanks for suggesting that I'm an entitled Karen.

I'm not in Boston and I have been nice up until they turned me away to correct a blatantly obvious problem and claimed it was normal.
It took 3 service appointments for them to agree to fix the problem, which themselves even concluded "noticeably helped".
Just because some of us are cranky about the quality of service, doesn't mean we weren't nice to the service team.

Exactly. It's entirely possible to see bad service but not take it out on the service personnel.

Last edited:
Lexus. Impeccable service in all my dealings
I used to handle taking my aging mother's Lexus in for service, and I have to admit, I was beyond impressed. I was treated like I owned the place from the minute I showed up until I drove away. Every step along the way was handled competently, accurately, quickly, courteously. The waiting lounge was well stocked with comfy chairs, snacks, drinks, coffee.

Yes, the service itself was extremely expensive, but they had the customer service experience down to a science. In fairness, though... yes, the service was expensive, but every Lexus that Mom ever owned (and she owned one from around 1985 til she passed in 2008) was extremely reliable. Outside of scheduled service visits, they rarely needed to see a service center.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
I tell everyone the same thing..... like my car a lot, it’s fun, own the stock, etc. But where I’m located I go out of my way to tell people to NOT buy a Tesla. Before they were allowed to do business in Michigan the service was great. Mobile service was sent out to look at issues and if they couldn’t handle the repairs Tesla would send a flatbed to ship your car to the service center out of state.

Now that they are permitted to do business in the state service is terrible. You are expected to drive over 2 hours each way to the only location in the state. I asked for mobile service for a noise coming from the back of the car and they just pick a date at random w/o asking if it works for you to drive across the state to the service center. I did that once and got burned. Showed up for my appointment 15 minutes early on a Friday morning to be told they wouldn’t get to my car until Monday. Another day off work and another 4+ hours in the car.

I wouldn’t want to be responsible for telling someone to buy one of these cars and then have to deal with the incredible inconvenience that currently comes along with it.

tell me your horror story for Lexus. In my experience, they would pick up my car for service, drop it back off when completed. They also offered shuttle service to and from work. Free coffee, fruit, snacks, and were easy to deal with. I also didn’t have to wait weeks to get in the door. Tesla isn’t at the Lexus level for service. Don’t even go there.

• Disagree
Reactions: BMWM3Man