Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Modules can't generally be replaced, either. At least, not by third parties who don't have access to hundreds or thousands of modules to try and accurately match the condition of the remaining modules. I've handled thousands of modules to-date, and still have only run into a handful that might satisfy the BMS if they were matched with another pack.

Suffice it to say, replacing a module is not a solution either. The entire pack needs to be replaced.

I'm in the best position to help people with this, since I can generally give people a great value for their existing unusable battery pack, once we inspect it and find the issue, when purchasing a full replacement pack. This way you get a full replacement pack that's been inspected and tested, vs some refurbished Franken-pack with broken fuses or mismatched modules.

Has price dropped a bit?

Let's not jump to conclusions. That could be a reman battery quote or a quote with good will...we won't know yet.

Also it's important to note that there are two battery invoices floating around, and you can find both here (2012 Model S P85 Battery Replacement Receipt - sharing is caring). They are both brand new 90kwh batteries from similar time frames but geographically and situationally different.

My car's battery retail price was $20,000, but the other individuals was $22,000 (for the exact same battery).

So there is documented proof showing that the battery price is different depending on geography (I can only guess that's why it cost them +$2,000).

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
Interestingly, I just got the exact same battery part number as a warranty replacement for my April 2015 Model S.

ASY-HV BATTERY,90KWH,SX
Part #: 1014116-00-B

When I picked up the car on Sunday, there was 80.585 kWh of energy available at a 100% charge (watts per mile x projected range).

Looks like they locked the 90 kWh pack to be a 85 kWh. In that case, you might have a top-end buffer, making it less troublesome to charge to 100%?

Reactions: BostonBurley
Modules can't generally be replaced, either. At least, not by third parties who don't have access to hundreds or thousands of modules to try and accurately match the condition of the remaining modules. I've handled thousands of modules to-date, and still have only run into a handful that might satisfy the BMS if they were matched with another pack.

Suffice it to say, replacing a module is not a solution either. The entire pack needs to be replaced.

I'm in the best position to help people with this, since I can generally give people a great value for their existing unusable battery pack, once we inspect it and find the issue, when purchasing a full replacement pack. This way you get a full replacement pack that's been inspected and tested, vs some refurbished Franken-pack with broken fuses or mismatched modules.
So how is it possible for Tesla to reman the packs then? Do they reprogram the BMS somehow to allow the variances to convert the franken-pack into one that lasts?

Or do they just have the thousands of modules to reassemble 16 closely matched ones into a useable pack?

So how is it possible for Tesla to reman the packs then? Do they reprogram the BMS somehow to allow the variances to convert the franken-pack into one that lasts?

Or do they just have the thousands of modules to reassemble 16 closely matched ones into a useable pack?
The problems usually aren't with cells. Generally the issues are with hardware that is replaceable/repairable with the right tools and software. When this isn't the case, yeah, they have a repository of packs to choose from in order to find a matching module. Even they can't do so most of the time, however, which is why many people get new packs as warranty replacements vs reman.

Interestingly, I just got the exact same battery part number as a warranty replacement for my April 2015 Model S.

ASY-HV BATTERY,90KWH,SX
Part #: 1014116-00-B

When I picked up the car on Sunday, there was 80.585 kWh of energy available at a 100% charge (watts per mile x projected range).
Why would they lock the battery to 80.6 kWh when your original invoice says you bought a car with 85 kWh? I would be right up in their faces with this and I do not care that we now know that the original pack wasn't 85 - fool me once, shame on Tesla, fool me twice ...

Why would they lock the battery to 80.6 kWh when your original invoice says you bought a car with 85 kWh? I would be right up in their faces with this and I do not care that we now know that the original pack wasn't 85 - fool me once, shame on Tesla, fool me twice ...

The invoice on my 2013 never said 85 kWh, it said the car was Model S 85.
The EPA rated range was 425 km originally, which the car was able to achieve on the EPA cycle.
In 8.5 years, I'm down to ~408 km range, so I don't consider this a situation where anyone was fooled, pack usable kWh was never quoted by the manufacturer, it was discovered by people with monitoring equipment.

Corrections: I meant the "actual" was about 81 kWh including the 4 kWh buffer

So it was correct what I wrote?

The invoice on my 2013 never said 85 kWh, it said the car was Model S 85.
The EPA rated range was 425 km originally, which the car was able to achieve on the EPA cycle.
In 8.5 years, I'm down to ~408 km range, so I don't consider this a situation where anyone was fooled, pack usable kWh was never quoted by the manufacturer, it was discovered by people with monitoring equipment.

This is from my reservation, the invoice does not state any kWh. But I configured and have a confirmation for a 85 kWh Performance Model S and they have never told me or otherwise informed me that it should not be 85 kWh.

I'm not making things up :) it was Tesla that, in writing, stated that the car came with a 85 kWh battery.

Furthermore, I think you'll find that the sticker on the battery it self says 85 kWh in big bold letters. I think you would be pretty pissed if your utility company charged you for 85 kWh every time you've used 81 kWh - or what?

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2021-08-05 kl. 20.04.00.png
    Skærmbillede 2021-08-05 kl. 20.04.00.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 839
Last edited:
What alternate world are you living in? and what's up with the lol, are you a teenage girl trolling grown men on car forums?

When I ordered my P85D i October 2014, the purchase agreement (a legally binding document) clearly states '85 kWh Performance Model S' as you can see and a price for this battery.

Tesla, when delivering the car, renamed the battery to P85D, but the sticker of battery clearly says 85 kWh - and believe it or not, that is not a sticker I've made on my own printer. That is a genuine Tesla sticker. But please take a picture of your own battery sticker and post it saying anything other than 85 kWh.

Why is it so hard for you accept that it was Tesla that introduced the battery capacity of 85 kWh, sold their cars as having 85 kWh battery capacity and never delivered any car to any customer with more than 81 kWh battery capacity?

Attachments

• battery.jpeg
    battery.jpeg
    5.7 KB · Views: 89
If this is the manufacturers label of the cells one uses in their battery pack, what capacity should one use?

Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 7.54.58 AM.png

If you take the typical capacity of 3.35 Ah x nominal voltage of 3.6v and have 7104 of them you get 85674 Wh of energy capacity

If you take the rated capacity of 3.2 Ah x nominal voltage of 3.6v .... ..you get 81838 Wh of energy capacity

I guess there is less confusion to name the car "dual motor" or "long range" ;)