Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The loss of so many Roadsters is definitely tragic. Hopefully the owners were covered in some way at least.
Rumor is that they had insufficient insurance coverage for all the claims submitted for all of the vehicles/parts that were lost, so people are only going to get part of what they are owed. (And how do you even figure out how much a Roadster is really worth with a bunch disappearing and possibly a lot of demand at the same time from them wanting to replace what was lost?)

My main gripe with them in general is that if you claim to have "repaired" something, that repair needs to at least be intended to last or else should be expressly disclaimed as temporary...
Yeah, an example is the battery pack that Rich's shop repaired for Hoovie (YouTuber) and it shut down and left him stranded with ~35 miles reported as still available. It charged again after that, but obviously there is something still wrong with the pack.

They have improved MCU2's standalone sleep ability a bit, at the expense of delayed app usage and other startup related slowness (they're basically using some crude predictions to try and give the illusion of speedy startups)... but it still uses more power than MCU1 on pre-refresh S's.
Does this explain why my MS (and many others) sometimes does and and sometimes doesn't have LTE available for the first 1-2 minutes of the drive?

"This isn’t the first time Gruber Motors has had a fire. The first time, in 2017, was caused by a battery pack in a Tesla Roadster that “went nuclear” during a repair. "

Things that make you go: Hmmmm.....
Pete Gruber knows how to make shitty YouTube videos and that’s about it. He’s destroyed over 50 Roadsters between 2 fires due to carelessness, negligence, stupidity, etc…. His first fire destroyed an AC Propulsion T-zero, of which less than 10 were ever made. That car was the inspiration for Tesla first product. I wouldn’t let that idiot ever touch my Roadster

Yeah, an example is the battery pack that Rich's shop repaired for Hoovie (YouTuber) and it shut down and left him stranded with ~35 miles reported as still available. It charged again after that, but obviously there is something still wrong with the pack.

Huh... I feel like someone might have called this. The BMS has to shut things down when the imbalance is too high, which anyone with a CAN decoder would know is worst at the extreme low and high ends of a charge.

Does this explain why my MS (and many others) sometimes does and and sometimes doesn't have LTE available for the first 1-2 minutes of the drive?

Probably, since it was likely full asleep sometimes. MCU2 boot time isn't horrible overall, but not instant.

Tesla had originally offered me a remanufactured pack at the same price, but they now say that they don’t have anymore. New 90kwh packs only, which is $20k. With tax and labor $23k out the door. I don’t see how I’m gonna get this job done for $15k like I was quoted last week
A tesla employee at the service center recently made a similar comment. "There are no more refurb packs available for the foreseeable future, it's likely you will just get a new 90kwh pack." I withheld mentioning this earlier, as I sometimes hear a lot of "BS" coming from Tesla folks who don't really know. So, I was just going to see what happens or what pack I end up with. However, because the repair estimate has already been agreed to, I am expecting Tesla to honor the refurb pack price. We shall see....

A tesla employee at the service center recently made a similar comment. "There are no more refurb packs available for the foreseeable future, it's likely you will just get a new 90kwh pack." I withheld mentioning this earlier, as I sometimes hear a lot of "BS" coming from Tesla folks who don't really know. So, I was just going to see what happens or what pack I end up with. However, because the repair estimate has already been agreed to, I am expecting Tesla to honor the refurb pack price. We shall see....
I wish you the best of luck, but I just don't see Tesla selling you a new battery for the refurbished price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
Unfortunately, Gruber Motors is no longer an option due to a fire that destroyed their repair facility.

It is terrible and so sad to see multiple Tesla vehicles that were lost there last year, but thankfully it was just one of their repair facilities. They are working on making the others safer. I believe (and hopefully) they continue to provide services at those. To be sure, you can reach them at the link below. There are also other out of warranty main battery repair options from some other companies that may be close to or well under $5k.

Other options:

Last edited:
There's definitely one thing I'll never quite get about other shops... especially west coast places: Why are there so many cars basically stacked on top of each other or otherwise right up on other cars? Especially customer owned cars?! This is a recipe for disaster no matter how many other precautions are taken.

I wouldn't even take a customer's car if I had to cram it in with a bunch of others for extended periods. At the end of the day, battery repair/refurbishment work can be dangerous (especially if you don't know what you're doing), and almost inevitably some kind of accident is going to happen. Best to not ruin millions of dollars worth of customer vehicles when it happens and potentially not have sufficient insurance to cover those losses.

In my case, nowadays we usually keep customer vehicles that will be here more than a day in their own area, at most a couple at a time, that's pretty well partitioned off (two 12" block walls) from where we do any battery work (besides installation and removal, of course). Plus our entire 30,000 sqft space is sprinklered, tested to ~1800 GPM... enough to slow down any potential battery fire and completely squash nearly any other kind. Fire department is also 0.6 miles away. On top of that, currently have something like $10M in liability insurance, at least half of which is available for any losses to customer property in our custody.

I can't imagine being careless enough to a) allow such an issue to happen in the first place to the extent of destroying dozens of customer vehicles, and b) if, God forbid, something like that were to happen, not having enough insurance to cover any losses to clients. Anything less is just wrong.

You'd have to be crazy to leave your vehicle with them and just be like, "Welp, third time's the charm!"

Tesla had originally offered me a remanufactured pack at the same price, but they now say that they don’t have anymore. New 90kwh packs only, which is $20k. With tax and labor $23k out the door. I don’t see how I’m gonna get this job done for $15k like I was quoted last week

Did you see one of the other options above? I think you can get the repair done for close to or less than $5k.

I used to promote those other options but it seems like those are a stopgap solution. No warranty, may fail again, etc.
The "repairs" performed by the other shops listed are definitely not solutions.

Unless it's a BMS issue that's fixable, we do full replacements with fully working packs. No hacky repairs. Currently don't offer a warranty on those replacements, but that's changing soon with our upcoming program.

Did you see one of the other options above? I think you can get the repair done for close to or less than $5k.
My HV pack has died, the car is at the Burbank service center now. I would love to use @wk057, but I would need to ship the car to North Carolina and back, which adds another $3-4k. Based off pack availability and work queue, I wouldnt have my car back from Jason until March/April. Tesla can get my Sig P90 back on the road in early Feb

My HV pack has died, the car is at the Burbank service center now. I would love to use @wk057, but I would need to ship the car to North Carolina and back, which adds another $3-4k. Based off pack availability and work queue, I wouldnt have my car back from Jason until March/April. Tesla can get my Sig P90 back on the road in early Feb
Is a loaner car included for that whole time?