Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crazy Postman tried it at several different chargers:
He did not follow the steps that have worked elsewhere

• Informative
Reactions: Suspect and Rocky_H
Saw the unhandled exception error on a Wind...7 machine.

Reduced the input and output buffer size by 1/2 for the specified COM port using Control Panel / Device Manger..saved it and rebooted the machine, ran the executable again..worked no errors.

Verified that the CETEC sill works at the nearby EA 150KW dispenser port.

Thanks to whomever wrote earlier that it took 6 tries with the right cable to get the new firmware to take into the CCS adapter. I tried 4 and thought that was enough and that the problem is something else. It turned out the 5th was golden.

Setec Adapter on V141 worked at 44kw on 58% SOC on a 150kw EA charger at Target off hwy 80 in Rocklin, CA.

I have been following the progress of the adapter, and recently ordered one via the $460 “tester plan”. (Side note: I am happy to send logs/etc, but the tester plan didn’t really seem to ask anything of me officially, so I have no idea what they want me to do.)

I didn’t expect it to arrive so quickly, but it showed up a couple of days ago, about a week after I placed the order. I upgraded to v1.41, and decided to try it at the nearest Electrify America station for fun. I preauthed the station via the EA app, plugged the adapter into the CCS handle, plugged the adapter into my X, and it ... all just worked.

I was very pleasantly surprised and will try a few more places around L.A. to see if I can find one that doesn’t work, to give them debugging logs.

Overall, I’m very happy to have CCS as an option, especially on road trips. I’ve towed U-Haul trailers cross-country with this X multiple times, and on a particular stretch of I-40, I always have to cross my fingers and hope the chademo station in Grants, NM will work, or I am out of luck. It has worked every time, after multiple calls to have it rebooted and many tries with the card reader. I’m very happy to not need to depend on the single chademo handle at EA stations, in the future.

So, as with all things, ymmv, but I will say I’m glad to have the flexibility to use nearly any public DCFC station from now on.

Attachments

• 7B0E6BF7-927E-4BF8-A89C-69CDA44C06DF.jpeg
    7B0E6BF7-927E-4BF8-A89C-69CDA44C06DF.jpeg
    425.1 KB · Views: 273
  • D88FEDCB-0E79-43F7-A5F4-645FD041B737.jpeg
    D88FEDCB-0E79-43F7-A5F4-645FD041B737.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 81
I didn’t expect it to arrive so quickly, but it showed up a couple of days ago, about a week after I placed the order. I upgraded to v1.41, and decided to try it at the nearest Electrify America station for fun. I preauthed the station via the EA app, plugged the adapter into the CCS handle, plugged the adapter into my X, and it ... all just worked.

I was very pleasantly surprised and will try a few more places around L.A. to see if I can find one that doesn’t work, to give them debugging logs.

Overall, I’m very happy to have CCS as an option, especially on road trips. I’ve towed U-Haul trailers cross-country with this X multiple times, and on a particular stretch of I-40, I always have to cross my fingers and hope the chademo station in Grants, NM will work, or I am out of luck. It has worked every time, after multiple calls to have it rebooted and many tries with the card reader. I’m very happy to not need to depend on the single chademo handle at EA stations, in the future.

So, as with all things, ymmv, but I will say I’m glad to have the flexibility to use nearly any public DCFC station from now on.
What max charge rate were you able to achieve (and at what SOC)? Was it a 150kW EA unit?

What max charge rate were you able to achieve (and at what SOC)? Was it a 150kW EA unit?
Yes, it was a 150kw unit. My car was already at 81% soc, so I was at 28 kw for most of the (short) test. I have a 2019 LR, with a 400v battery, so I’m guessing I can get the 70-ish kw at a lower soc. I’ll post a graph when I have more info.

Attachments

• FE47D49E-BC24-45EA-BB1D-DFC818C8CD2B.jpeg
    FE47D49E-BC24-45EA-BB1D-DFC818C8CD2B.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 84
Happy to report that the adapter works quite well on the X, thanks to the 200-ish amp limit! I finally had a chance to use the adapter to charge the car from a relatively low SoC, 25%, all the way up to 90%. The car steadily ramped from 66kw at 25% SoC to a peak of 76kw at 70% SoC, after which it tapered off as expected, once it hit 400-ish volts. The curve looks pretty darned close to what you'll get out of an urban supercharger. This was again at an Electrify America station (150kw ABB, specifically), and I've attached a screenshot of the TeslaMate charging graph.

I hadn't anticipated having a reason to use this adapter besides road trips, but it turns out this thing was damned useful today! Superchargers in L.A. are often very busy on weekends, and the one near me is among the busiest. There was a line 12 Teslas deep waiting to charge at the Supercharger, so I headed over to the Electrify America station a few blocks away. It has 4 stalls and only 1 was occupied (by a friendly Taycan driver). I plugged in, opened the app, swiped to activate, and it was off to the races.

So I guess my advice would be: if you want to have options, this thing is great! Just don't buy one if you live in L.A., because I'm enjoying this exclusive access to more DC fast chargers. :)

/cc @FMinMI

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 12.49.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 12.49.46 PM.png
    396.7 KB · Views: 67
  • screen-noshot.jpg
    screen-noshot.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 74
Happy to report that the adapter works quite well on the X, thanks to the 200-ish amp limit! I finally had a chance to use the adapter to charge the car from a relatively low SoC, 25%, all the way up to 90%. The car steadily ramped from 66kw at 25% SoC to a peak of 76kw at 70% SoC, after which it tapered off as expected, once it hit 400-ish volts. The curve looks pretty darned close to what you'll get out of an urban supercharger. This was again at an Electrify America station (150kw ABB, specifically), and I've attached a screenshot of the TeslaMate charging graph.

What year is your MX?

I hadn't anticipated having a reason to use this adapter besides road trips, but it turns out this thing was damned useful today! Superchargers in L.A. are often very busy on weekends, and the one near me is among the busiest. There was a line 12 Teslas deep waiting to charge at the Supercharger, so I headed over to the Electrify America station a few blocks away. It has 4 stalls and only 1 was occupied (by a friendly Taycan driver). I plugged in, opened the app, swiped to activate, and it was off to the races.

So I guess my advice would be: if you want to have options, this thing is great! Just don't buy one if you live in L.A., because I'm enjoying this exclusive access to more DC fast chargers. :)

/cc @FMinMI

That's way faster than I was expecting to see. VERY exciting stuff.

It kind of makes me wonder if Tesla are letting this other company do all the R&D and then they'll just buy it from them and stick their name on it.

Reactions: Boeingpilot
That's way faster than I was expecting to see. VERY exciting stuff.

It kind of makes me wonder if Tesla are letting this other company do all the R&D and then they'll just buy it from them and stick their name on it.
I’d imagine Tesla already have the software engineering work of an adapter done, and it probably wasn’t much effort given their experience with CCS elsewhere.

As far as this being an example for their physical adapter, I strongly doubt it. I now fully appreciate why the Tesla chademo adapter (which I also own) is built the way it is, with a flexible section between two rigid ones. This setec one is a very solid feeling chunk of plastic, but as others have pointed out, it can put a ton of torque on the charge port, which I don’t like.

I’m not worried about doing damage if I’m careful when using it, but a major downside is that you probably can’t use it unless you can park an ideal distance from the station. When towing this can come in to play rather often, and you’re sometimes using every bit of the cable to reach the car. If there was any tension twisting on this thing, I can promise something will break.

Again I’m a fan of the adapter, and look forward to using it, but if Tesla makes something official, this setec will probably end up relegated to backup of a backup of a backup if all other options fail.

Edit: I guess it is also possible that an official Tesla adapter might limit the charging speed to something lower than what this one is capable of handling. I’ll definitely use this instead of the chademo, since it is faster. (Disclaimer: this but is obviously all speculation and I’m probably wrong, but no one has much of a clue what the specs of an official one would even be.)

Last edited: