Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is getting ridiculous!

Where in the manual does it say the warranty will be voided if I try to break the record for the longest jump while landing on flat pavement (without a landing ramp)?

Is it your contention that since it doesn't specifically say this will void your warranty that it shouldn't void the warranty? Tesla does not have to list every possible use case that is not an approved use case in order to claim the vehicle was used outside the approved use cases.
That qualifies as "Accidents, collisions, or objects striking the vehicle," under the terms noted by @MP3Mike.
This thread is unreal the way so many people are ready to jump on Tesla's back for what is most likely an attempt to keep people from damaging their car with equipment that has proven to be poorly designed to avoid expensive damage to their car.
Part of the problem is that Tesla has been completely uncommunicative about this. They issued no warning that the update would disable the Setec adapter and offered no justification for doing so. It's your assumption that they've done so to protect Tesla vehicles. Maybe; or maybe Tesla is being anti-competitive, or maybe disabling the Setec adapter was an accident. We just don't know, and assuming something will do no good whatsoever. What's more, I disagree with your assertion that the Setec adapter "has proven to be poorly designed." Yes, I'm aware of two cases in which a Tesla has been damaged following use of the Setec adapter; but in both of those cases, the adapter was running experimental firmware that was intended to unlock the full 80kW charge rate of the device. Most of the Setec adapters in use, including all of those known by me to have been disabled, are not running that firmware. (I have no idea if Tesla's firmware update would disable adapters running the firmware that's suspected of actually causing problems.) If you have other evidence that the Setec adapter is poorly designed or hazardous, please post that information.
You must have missed the exclusions/limitations section of the warranty:
View attachment 703453
View attachment 703452
Good find. I hadn't realized there was a separate warranty document.

That said, this clause doesn't explicitly void the warranty simply for using third-party devices; it only excludes damage caused by those devices. Proving that a device caused damage could be tricky. If the manufacturer has the right to deny warranty coverage simply because a third-party accessory was used, then Tesla could arbitrarily deny warranty coverage to people who use a third-party wireless phone charging pad, too; but I've not heard stories of Tesla trying to disable them.

This is not to say that Tesla should be on the hook for any damage caused by third-party charging equipment; but pre-emptively disabling such equipment, if that's what's happened, is inappropriate, unless perhaps Tesla has solid evidence that an adapter is dangerous (say, if it posed an electrocution hazard). In that case, they should make that risk public, so as to warn their customers who might not receive the software update. If the Tesla firmware can detect and disable an adapter, and if the only issue is one of warranty repairs, then the firmware could instead log the fact that an unauthorized adapter was used, and they could instruct their repair facilities to check charging logs to see if an unauthorized adapter had been used, which could be used to flag the case for possibly warranty investigation. This would have the advantage of not starting an escalation with Setec, in which Setec will attempt to work around Tesla's disabling of Setec's equipment. It's quite possible that Setec will ultimately succeed in making their adapters look so much like Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter that Tesla won't be able to detect the Setec device, in which case Tesla will simply have caused a lot of pointless expenditure of effort and inconvenience for their own customers. Quietly flagging use of an unauthorized adapter, OTOH, would not raise a public stink or cost as much.

More broadly speaking, Tesla has built a sort of charging walled garden, but that can't last forever. Setec is already advertising Tesla plugs on some of its DC fast chargers, and sooner or later other manufacturers are likely to do the same. IMHO, Tesla's best course of action is to work with third-party charging equipment manufacturers to ensure that their products work well with Teslas. Doing this will help Tesla's customers. Arbitrarily disabling third-party charging equipment will discourage, but probably not prevent, its deployment, which will ultimately hurt Tesla's customers. Five years from now, I'd prefer to see EVgo, Electrify America, ChargePoint, and others all have Tesla plugs at their stations than something like we've got now, with a big wall between the Tesla and CCS worlds. Of course, I don't know what, if any, discussions Tesla is in with the big charging networks or equipment providers, other than the current deployment of modified Tesla CHAdeMO adapters at some EVgo stations. It could be that Tesla is working toward better deployment of Tesla plugs, and that Setec chose to not work with Tesla. This comes back to the "lack of communication" point, though: We don't know why Tesla disabled the Setec adapter, or what might be going on behind the scenes. All I know is that I, and many others, paid hundreds of dollars for our adapters, and Tesla turned them into paper weights, at least temporarily.

Please lets stop with the theoretical chat its filling up this topic with noise. I'm hoping we can stick to facts that we know and make some progress, the summary of current facts:

1. The Setec adapter is blocked in Tesla Firmware 2021.24.3 and later for Model 3/Y but not Model S (thats very interesting)
2. I have a call into Tesla and nobody has confirmed that this was intentional, I am waiting for an official reply
3. Setec is working to get their adapter working again with a new firmware update.

Thanks

... If the Tesla firmware can detect and disable an adapter, and if the only issue is one of warranty repairs, then the firmware could instead log the fact that an unauthorized adapter was used, and they could instruct their repair facilities to check charging logs to see if an unauthorized adapter had been used, which could be used to flag the case for possibly warranty investigation....

. This comes back to the "lack of communication" point, though: We don't know why Tesla disabled the Setec adapter, or what might be going on behind the scenes. All I know is that I, and many others, paid hundreds of dollars for our adapters, and Tesla turned them into paper weights, at least temporarily.
Apparently, when you do a 'bug report' command it logs a lot of things to the car and then sends a timetamped event to Tesla (mothership). Could allow service centers or Tesla engineers a 'location' in the log on where to look for charging detailed activities.
Meaning they could be logging anyone usage of an adapter already.
# post vitals to mothership
"$TESLA_BIN/mothership.sh" vitals &>/dev/null

Re: lack of communication
It is easy to guess this for legality reasons for future claims against Tesla from disgruntled customers or 3rd party adapter providers. This doesn't seem farfetched.

After updating my recently acquired SETEC CCS adaptor to firmware V150 (a hassle to do, since I do not own a Windows computer and have to borrow one) I was able to successfully charge my Model X for the first time at a BC Hydro charging station in North Vancouver, BC. My X is on V2020.48.37.2

I have not yet had the opportunity to try charging my Model 3 at that station, and I may not even bother because I typically don’t use that car for long distance trips. I bought the SETEC adaptor to potentially use while towing my trailer in areas of Canada that do not yet have Superchargers in place or where they are too far apart for me given the significantly greater energy usage while towing (which with my trailer is 50-80% more depending on conditions).

@ecarfan glad you got the Adapter firmware updated and that your Model X is charging. Some people have reported that Model S still chargers even after upgrading Tesla firmware so its possible your Model X may still work after updating the Tesla firmware. If you do update your Model X let us know if it affects the Setec adapter as nobody has reported on Model X yet.

My X is on V2020.48.37.2

@ecarfan glad you got the Adapter firmware updated and that your Model X is charging. Some people have reported that Model S still chargers even after upgrading Tesla firmware so its possible your Model X may still work after updating the Tesla firmware. If you do update your Model X let us know if it affects the Setec adapter as nobody has reported on Model X yet.
My guess would be he has an MCU1 (ie. not upgraded his X 100D Jul 2017) as those vehicles are not getting current OTA updates.

My guess would be he has an MCU1 (ie. not upgraded his X 100D Jul 2017) as those vehicles are not getting current OTA updates.
My X has the upgraded MCU since early this year. However, since moving four months ago to a condo in West Vancouver my cars have not had any updates because there is no wifi or cell in my condo parking garage. The condo board (called the “strata council” here in Canada) is soliciting bids to enable wifi and/or cell service in the parking garages.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
I am waiting for an official reply
If you'd read a little of the "theoretical chat", you might see that your expectations are a bit unrealistic.
You're welcome to wait though but if you start grousing that your wishes don't come true, don't expect too much sympathy as some of us who have been Tesla customers for over a decade and EV drivers for multiple decades and know the history are "telling you so" now.
I apologize if you don't appreciate the insights I and others are sharing with you. I'll quit wasting my time now and let you try to figure it out on your own. Good luck.

Apparently Model X can still charge after Tesla firmware update according to Setec so it looks (strangely) that Model S/X are not impacted which further makes me think this might be an unintended side effect but still waiting for official reply from Tesla.
Or they have only adjusted the CHAdeMO charging logic for the 3/Y at this point. (We know it was already separate since the 3 couldn't use CHAdeMO at first, and the 3 was limited to 50kW while the S&X could go to 80kW.)

Reactions: mociaf9 and Rocky_H
They might not even be able to programmatically change how the (older) S/X does CHAdeMO. I'm certainly hoping that's the case so that it'll never be broken!
Well, there were reports in this thread (back quite a few pages though) that Model S and X which previously charged at up to 200A (60+ kW) on the SETEC adapter being reduced to 125A (50 kW). This like the model 3 behavior may have been a side effect of Tesla CCS development or intentional, but nonetheless changes are possible.

Post in thread 'Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter' Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

Reactions: mociaf9
How much information do we actually have that Tesla is currently planning, and is actively working toward releasing, its own CCS adapter for North America?

It's definitely happening - I mean, Tesla's PR dept hasn't talked about anything else for almost a year! ;)

Actual evidence seems to be:

1) Tesla's announcement of an adapter for South Korea, where they use the same CCS1 standard (originally announced for release in 1st half of 2021, now 2nd half of 2021)
2) Reports that Tesla has changed hardware in 2021 cars to support CCS standard internally
3) Unconfirmed reports that Tesla is testing an adapter in the U.S.
4) Logical arguments - if Tesla is going to open up superchargers to other cars, it would look very bad if Teslas couldn't also charge at 3rd party chargers.

It seems inevitable that Tesla will eventually release a CCS1 adapter, but all we can do is speculate on the timeline.

How much information do we actually have that Tesla is currently planning, and is actively working toward releasing, its own CCS adapter for North America?
Nothing official. There is only speculative information:
- In December 2020 (curiously, after the Setec adapter was announced), Tesla Korea emailed Korean Tesla owners that a CCS1 adapter is coming to Korea in mid 2021 with an obviously 3D rendered drawing of the proposed adapter. Korea and North America use the same CCS1 standard (the Setec adapter originated in Korea and does work in North America - with tweaks for the CCS chargers found here). However this didn't go to Tesla owners elsewhere nor directly to any other media outlets. Note that even if an adapter was available for Korea, this does not mean that it will be available in North America, and even if it was available indirectly by buying from a Korean owner, if it requires a hardware retrofit, this retrofit will not likely be available in North America unless Tesla officially releases it in North America.
- A post stating that "a friend" is beta testing a Tesla CCS adapter in North America.
- (and this is wildly speculative) Elon mentioned a Tesla to CCS adapter during AI day for other vehicles to use Tesla Superchargers. This would be a shock to Tesla owners if a corresponding CCS to Tesla adapter was not also available.

Nothing official. There is only speculative information:
- In December 2020 (curiously, after the Setec adapter was announced), Tesla Korea emailed Korean Tesla owners that a CCS1 adapter is coming to Korea in mid 2021 with an obviously 3D rendered drawing of the proposed adapter. Korea and North America use the same CCS1 standard (the Setec adapter originated in Korea and does work in North America - with tweaks for the CCS chargers found here). However this didn't go to Tesla owners elsewhere nor directly to any other media outlets. Note that even if an adapter was available for Korea, this does not mean that it will be available in North America, and even if it was available indirectly by buying from a Korean owner, if it requires a hardware retrofit, this retrofit will not likely be available in North America unless Tesla officially releases it in North America.
- A post stating that "a friend" is beta testing a Tesla CCS adapter in North America.
- (and this is wildly speculative) Elon mentioned a Tesla to CCS adapter during AI day for other vehicles to use Tesla Superchargers. This would be a shock to Tesla owners if a corresponding CCS to Tesla adapter was not also available.
The confirmation of the Tesla Korean CCS2 adapter is much more sure than you put it. The adapter has already been certified in Korea. There is a certification document, with a picture of the real adapter (not a 3D model), even has the manufacturer listed (it's Pegatron in Taiwan, imported by Tesla Korea). They did email Korean tesla owners that the CCS adapter has been delayed, and offered a discount on the CHAdeMO adapter to make up for it.
Tesla CCS adapter now certified in South Korea but delayed until later this year
Here's the direct link to the certification:
안전한 제품, 행복한 국민 제품안전정보센터입니다.

The confirmation of the Tesla Korean CCS2 adapter is much more sure than you put it. The adapter has already been certified in Korea. There is a certification document, with a picture of the real adapter (not a 3D model), even has the manufacturer listed (it's Pegatron in Taiwan, imported by Tesla Korea). They did email Korean tesla owners that the CCS adapter has been delayed, and offered a discount on the CHAdeMO adapter to make up for it.
Tesla CCS adapter now certified in South Korea but delayed until later this year
Here's the direct link to the certification:
안전한 제품, 행복한 국민 제품안전정보센터입니다.
It is certainly much smaller than the Setec design!

The Korean adapter is not pass through, current north america cars do not have the ability to handle CCS1, i don't know if its just the software or if there is more to it, but notice in europe they went to ccs2 (not ccs1). I believe that even if the korean adapter makes it to market in the coming year, its highly likely it wont work in north america for some time after that. Setec is working hard to resolve this issue right now, and all of my dealings with Setec shows a company who is dedicated to resolving issues as quickly as possible (remember covid makes it virtually impossible for them to have boots on the ground in north america).

• Disagree
Reactions: jsight and MP3Mike