Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting up charging for off-peak time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

has anyone figured out how to set up the charging for off-peak time with the new update?
I’ve got OctopusEnergy Go and only want to charge between 00:30 and 04:30.
I’ve currently got it set up to start at 00:30 but it can overrun.
I believe you can now set the end of the off-peak period but not the start?

i know you can use third party apps for that but it would be nice to do it with build in tools.

Reactions: NewbieT
Time switch built in to the charge point works exceptionally well, and is pretty near completely fool-proof. Mine are just set to activate the charge point at 12:00 and deactivate it at 07:00. I leave the car set to charge immediately, and just let the charge point handle off-peak charging. Works with any car that's plugged in to it, too.

Time switch built in to the charge point works exceptionally well, and is pretty near completely fool-proof. Mine are just set to activate the charge point at 12:00 and deactivate it at 07:00. I leave the car set to charge immediately, and just let the charge point handle off-peak charging. Works with any car that's plugged in to it, too.

Do you have remote control of that function or does this mean that you lose the ability to pre-warm your car (via the app) from shore power later on when you are leaving the house? (Obviously ok if you are leaving at 7am every morning.) In my case the car and charge point are some distance from the house so that might be an issue for some people in a similar situation. Controlling from the car's settings has actually been completely reliable but it does seem odd that there isn't a stop time available. (I don't really have any reason to complain because I have timing options on the Zappi that I haven't even needed to use!)

Reactions: APotatoGod
Timed charge is a joke on the Tesla. I have E7, so have a bit more leeway with timing but still....

I have a Zappi (Highly recommended) and a cheapo dumb charger... I mainly get to use the dumb charger...

I set the start time on the tesla, then set the charge limit. Using 10% recharge per hour (at 7Kw) I set it to take however much I can get in in the time allowed with a bit of a safety margin at either end...

The hyundai is much better, you set a start time and an end time, and it only charges between those times... Simples...

Tesla can do it for the power wall, why can't they have a chat with the energy division and use some of their experience....

• Funny
Reactions: Dilly
Do you have remote control of that function or does this mean that you lose the ability to pre-warm your car (via the app) from shore power later on when you are leaving the house? (Obviously ok if you are leaving at 7am every morning.) In my case the car and charge point are some distance from the house so that might be an issue for some people in a similar situation. Controlling from the car's settings has actually been completely reliable but it does seem odd that there isn't a stop time available. (I don't really have any reason to complain because I have timing options on the Zappi that I haven't even needed to use!)

I could set it up to be remotely accessed, as I still have data link connectivity to the charge points, but in practice I don't bother, mainly because we're both retired and so rarely need to go out early in the morning. I do have a switch on the charge points, to select either "charge immediately" or "E7 timed charge", and as the charge point I use most of the time is just outside the front door it's no great hardship to just go out and flick the switch, or even flick the switch the day before, if the car is already charged and I know we might want to precondition for an outing the following day.

Reactions: Adopado
I can’t help wondering why, in updating the charging UI, Tesla haven’t taken the opportunity to take the simple stance of start/stop times for both charging & prewarm. Is it because the premise of maximum charge builds in suitable BMS timing and the algorithms get brassed off with any other settings?
Our other EV’s handled it ok. The new set up is completely unintuitive. They seem to have made a poor setup more confusing.
I just let my Zappi do the thinking for it.

Timed charge is a joke on the Tesla. I have E7, so have a bit more leeway with timing but still....

I have a Zappi (Highly recommended) and a cheapo dumb charger... I mainly get to use the dumb charger...

I set the start time on the tesla, then set the charge limit. Using 10% recharge per hour (at 7Kw) I set it to take however much I can get in in the time allowed with a bit of a safety margin at either end...

The hyundai is much better, you set a start time and an end time, and it only charges between those times... Simples...

Tesla can do it for the power wall, why can't they have a chat with the energy division and use some of their experience....
I agree, my Ioniq Electric was a breeze to set.

One of the things I like about the ID.3 is that it has simple to set scheduled charge timing options. My old Prius plug in was the same, you could set charge on and off times in much the same way as setting a heating controller. Quite why the Tesla UI doesn't have a similar, easy to use, charger timer I don't know. AFAIK, ToU tariffs are as common in the USA as they are here.

it took me a while to roughly work out that I think I’ve got an approx 80kw batt.
7kw per hour for 4 hours. 28kw.
35%
So I move the charge limit to whatever it’s on plus 35. I’ve occasionally forgotten! Or left it at 65% when I’ve been charging elsewhere and come back expecting a fully charged car and it ain’t!
Dammit.

Tesla still stubbornly naïve. Why keep it simple and give customers what they want when you know better?

PodPoint does at least do scheduled charging now (with UK Gov random delay start). It would be nice if they added IO and Agile integration too.

I have to set my charge limit to add 36% in 4 hours otherwise it will run over into the standard rate, easier to use the app to set the limit than in the car.
One weird thing is that i can't set the charge amps higher than 16A but it charges at 32A, what would you do if you needed to set the max charge rate at 20A for example?

I have to set my charge limit to add 36% in 4 hours otherwise it will run over into the standard rate, easier to use the app to set the limit than in the car.
One weird thing is that i can't set the charge amps higher than 16A but it charges at 32A, what would you do if you needed to set the max charge rate at 20A for example?
Start the charge manually, set to 20A, stop the charge manually. It'll "remember" the charge rate for that particular location.