Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shocked by the new Roadster rolling out of the Tesla Semi!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m still waiting to see the EAP/FSD deposit come to fruition. Anyone who gives Tesla $50k or $250k interest free is crazy. If they tske your deposit it’s cusromsry for the deposit to garner interest that can be applied to the purchase.

Reactions: gowthamn
If I understand the Tesla website well the Roadster will be $50,000 (250k is the founders series). Or am I missing something.
View attachment 260894
No, the Roadster is $250,000. The first 1000 will be a special "Founder Series". To reserve one of those, you have to pay the full $250,000 up front at the time of your reservation. To get on the list for a regular production Roadster you must pay $50,000 up front at the time of your reservation.

Dan

and not just the perceived value but the overall awareness that roadsters even exist. I guess I hadn’t sat down and thought about what the effects of a new roadsters being $250k would be on the original (assumed it would be starting half that) but it seems like this is very very good for current owners

I expect to hear a lot of "Is that the new Roadster?!" and see "Spotted Roadster mule! Design shift to 2-seater!" posts over the next three years. Over just the past year I've had many people ask if my 1.5 was the Model 3.

I’m still waiting to see the EAP/FSD deposit come to fruition. Anyone who gives Tesla $50k or $250k interest free is crazy. If they tske your deposit it’s cusromsry for the deposit to garner interest that can be applied to the purchase.

Personally I agree, but I guess the potential Roadster v2 customers are people that won't notice their bank account dropping by a few hundred thousand. I'm thinking Sheik's, Hollywood-stars and the like. For them ordering the Roadster is just like getting a flashy handbag/iPhone.

No, the Roadster is $250,000. The first 1000 will be a special "Founder Series". To reserve one of those, you have to pay the full $250,000 up front at the time of your reservation. To get on the list for a regular production Roadster you must pay $50,000 up front at the time of your reservation.

Dan

Base roaster is 200k with 50k deposit. Founders is 250k with 250k deposit.
roadster.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and dhanson865
Not sure what surprises me more: that this roadster exists or that so many here seem to be negative about it.
You should not be surprised. Roadster owners will see immediate decrease in their cars value. Safety likely improved, range tripled, supercharging most likely capable,soft canvas top replaced, crazy performance, more comfortable and I suspect cheaper maintenance without coolant changes, better interphase with car.... remember original roadsters were unproven, sold by company who may not survive and yet with options sold over 150K. That was 10 years before release of this one (2020). Many are not concerned with cost of car. Not a high volume car, so masses don’t need to be able to afford. I am not talking down at original roadsters just amazed at how far tech has come. I loved my roadster until I had to sell last year. Hoping I can purchase new one in two years

What has always bothered me about the badging of the roadster is the use of 3.0. Why would an upgraded 1.0 or 2.5 have the same badge now? They are similar cars but clearly different. Anyway wonder what they will badge the new one with

In the supercar marketplace, which is a very small market share, it is all about being the fastest and having bragging rights. The people that consider these cars don't really care about the price tag. All they know is that this little electric car just made their 3 million dollar Bugatti obsolete in the bragging rights department. The fact they can get it for 1/8 of the price or less just makes it a no brainer.

Those 1000 Founder Series reservations won't last a month. This is a slam dunk in that super high end marketplace.

Dan

Not sure what surprises me more: that this roadster exists or that so many here seem to be negative about it.

It's why I don't even read this stuff. TMC, esp. threads like this, and apart from obviously useful forums where ppl help each other or have good ideas, is essentially totally useless idle talk, speculation and making stuff up about nothing. It's like 100% of comments on sites like Elektrek. New Roadster is easily among most exciting automotive news ever but so much commentary from naysayers and how they'll never succeed, etc. I just ignore it all. Same with this thread, I just skipped the 7 pages to type this because I knew what it would be and your 1-sentence summary was good enuf. :) Ignore this, too. o_O

This is all one need see at the moment Roadster | Tesla

Last edited:
Reactions: Don TLR
This is insane, and obviously all made possible by this mysterious 200kwh battery place.

Any estimates on battery specs? Also, how many kwh will the semi have? 1,000 kwh? 80% in 30 minutes?!?!?!

Who cares about the roadster and semi... tell me about the batteries!

Reactions: nsxpert
It's why I don't even read this stuff. TMC, esp. threads like this, and apart from obviously useful forums where ppl help each other or have good ideas, is essentially totally useless idle talk, speculation and making stuff up about nothing. It's like 100% of comments on sites like Elektrek. New Roadster is easily among most exciting automotive news ever but so much commentary from naysayers and how they'll never succeed, etc. I just ignore it all. Same with this thread, I just skipped the 7 pages to type this because I knew what it would be and your 1-sentence summary was good enuf. :) Ignore this, too. o_O

This is all one need see at the moment Roadster | Tesla

The negativity is from being wasteful. I expect to see Tesla criticized for this. How can you have a mission of changing the world and fighting climate change, etc etc
and then turn around and spend all of this time, energy, and by the way a carbon footprint, to produce a car that is just a plaything for a rich guy?

I'm just absolutely stunned, this is beyond Formula 1 numbers and what's $250k? There are racing cars worth well above 1 mil that come no way close near these numbers.
It's just stunning, imagine I become a 100 year old I can tell children I have been in cars that didn't run on electricity, I have to explain what gears are, I didn't even have internet when I was a kid and once I got it, it made sound like I was connecting with aliens when starting up and costed over 30 dollar an hour. I didn't even have a mobile phone when I was 18 and when I had one, I had to create my own ringtone and I didn't do that by recording music, I actually had to type like 50 number of a tune in a row that created a song together. Tesla was death for well over a 100 years and the biggest compagnie in the world at the time was an oil compagnie. There were adverts of sigarets everywhere and barely anyone was willing to buy a lithium ion battery for anything, most people didn't even know what it was.
I've seen televisions that weren't a cm flat, and neither a inch, and neither a foot, more like a yard and it didn't even have a color screen. It did have gas inside somehow. I've seen screens that weren't even black and white, they where lightgreen and darkgreen and when you had the same screen on for a long time, you could even see that screen when the screen was turned off.
I had a typemachine and when you typed something out, it printed it out immedietly and it didn't even need electricity.

Either way, Tesla is stunning me in every single way, both their truck and their ridiculous roadster. I can't wait for this driving on the roads nearby.

The negativity is from being wasteful. I expect to see Tesla criticized for this. How can you have a mission of changing the world and fighting climate change, etc etc
and then turn around and spend all of this time, energy, and by the way a carbon footprint, to produce a car that is just a plaything for a rich guy?

Are you sure it's not just the opposite though and doesn't actually help the company hence its mission? Like the first Roadster which far from being just a plaything, enabled all of Tesla in the first place.