Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shocked! Model 3 has no blind spot detection [Update: yes, it does]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always found them to be useless gimmicks. Maybe it is just my eyes' natural focal length but I found trying to pay attention to them took away from actually using the mirrors. Mind you I'm a very active shoulder-checker and actively use mirrors to be aware of every thing in my circle, so have never had an issue with missing things in "blind spots". What really brought home how much I move around is when I started racing and thus having the seatbelt set very tight in a constraining way I got a little panicked at first about how little I could move to fully check my 7 and 8.

This means, ironically, that the Model 3 has effectively a lot better "blindspot detection" back-up for me than any other car I've owned as it is audio based so alerts me wherever my eyes happen to be at the moment. Not that it triggers much anyway, because that's what it is; A back-up that hopefully never gets used. I've only ever had a false positive (or at least something that was borderline and I felt was acceptable, it wasn't telling me anything I didn't already know).
Odd you found them “gimmicky”. I could always see them lit-up in my periphery and rarely ever had to take my eyes from the road in front of me. Saved my butt numerous times!

Reactions: ftlum and spindrome
Why doesn't it beep? You shouldn't have to look at the screen.

It DOES beep, but only if it senses that you are actually changing lanes when a car is in the blindspot and your blinker is on. I rented a car that beeped ANY time there was a car in the blind spot and the turn signal was turned on. Man, it was annoying!

I feel like I could write too much on this topic, so I will try to be concise...
  • Tesla's implementation of blind spot detection while an admirable effort, has a lot to be desired. The biggest deficiency is the requirement to look to the forward center of the car for blindspot information
  • IMO the BSD feature is a result of the engineering team having a low priority for this because, per Elon, you won't need it with FSD. I'm pretty sure this is evidenced by how long ago the model 3 was actually designed and the FSD forecast back then
  • Without FSD to solve all of problems we are now nitpicking these shortcomings
  • I find the screen information very good and helpful for lane changes, it's just not where I want to be looking when I'm changing lanes. I think if you try to turn into a car it will both give you audible warnings AND try to stop you, correct?
  • There are reasonable work arounds if waiting for something better or different isn't satisfactory
Personally, I added a frameless mirror to my driver's side mirror and LOVE it. I have actually decided to move my mirror positions away from the recommended standard because of the addition. Let me explain (let me first put on my flame proof suit). The driver's side mirror isn't convex (no "wide" angle). Most are not because they make the cars look farther. So when you position the drivers side mirror properly so that it points to the "blindspot", the very small and aerodynamic mirror only points to a very small and narrow spot. This is really what drove me to add another small mirror. I wanted to see more than this little spot. I wanted to see next to me AND even the lane next to that. While a properly positioned mirror will tell you if someone is in your blindspot, it will NOT tell you if someone is moving from 2 lanes over into your blindspot. It also won't tell you if someone traveling very fast is about to be in your blindspot unless you caught them in your rear view mirror. So now that I've added the wide angle frameless mirror, I am moving my side mirror to no longer point completely at the small blindspot, but rather I'm pulling it in slightly to allow me to see further back and closer to my car (I am leaving a tad of my vehicle side in the frame). But with the addition of the convex mirror I still can identify my blindspot AND cars 2 lanes over. It's perfect and now I feel more confident that I can see the 3 things that scare me :
  1. Blindspot
  2. Fast approaching cars
  3. Cars coming over from 2 lanes away
Here's a picture of the frameless mirror BEFORE I repositioned it
img_20190730_141223-jpg.435912

I just wish that the side view camera popped up when I put my turn signal on. This seems like such a simple fix. You know I intend to change lanes, just show me the view from that side camera. That seems way better than a dot on the mirror.

It might be the best workaround considering limitations of the current system but by no means is it a fix for proper blindspot detection. You would still have to look at two screens (mirror and console) that are not located near each other.

Toyota Prius is possibly the best im
It DOES beep, but only if it senses that you are actually changing lanes when a car is in the blindspot and your blinker is on. I rented a car that beeped ANY time there was a car in the blind spot and the turn signal was turned on. Man, it was annoying!

Beeping anytime is annoying I agree with you there.

But what you say here is interesting - are you saying that the car will beep if:

A car is detected in your blind spot AND You are about to change into that lane AND blinker is on

If the above is right without any autopilot engaged, then I stand corrected and then it’s at least somewhat helpful. Still, I would say that there should be an alert even if the blinker is not on and you’re swerving into a lane with a vehicle in the blind spot.

Reactions: moorej999
Toyota Prius is possibly the best im

Beeping anytime is annoying I agree with you there.

But what you say here is interesting - are you saying that the car will beep if:

A car is detected in your blind spot AND You are about to change into that lane AND blinker is on

If the above is right without any autopilot engaged, then I stand corrected and then it’s at least somewhat helpful. Still, I would say that there should be an alert even if the blinker is not on and you’re swerving into a lane with a vehicle in the blind spot.
If you turn on your blinker with a car next to you, the display turns red. If you start to move over, it beeps. If you keep moving over it will try to steer you back. If you force the car to hit the car next to you... it's kinda your fault at that point.

Reactions: ElectricLee
If you turn on your blinker with a car next to you, the display turns red. If you start to move over, it beeps. If you keep moving over it will try to steer you back. If you force the car to hit the car next to you... it's kinda your fault at that point.

Totally. It’s just that the alert should still sound without turn blinker on. It probably does? It’s not safe to test that use case anyway.

Odd you found them “gimmicky”. I could always see them lit-up in my periphery and rarely ever had to take my eyes from the road in front of me. Saved my butt numerous times!
I'm rather.....unconvinced about ability to truly use them while not "tak[ing] my eyes from the road in front of me", that has the scent of self-delusion about it. Certainly in the daytime.

The people that rely on them in place of actually checking blindspots scare the crap out of me that I'm sharing the road with them. They aren't anywhere near 100% reliable. Although it isn't the only reason someone might accidentally try to lane change over top of you, it is fairly easy to have dynamic relative movement between the vehicles that ends with you in the blindspot but not triggering those detectors.

I was beside a late model Mercedes sedan on the way home from the cottage for about 1/2 in traffic. For a family fun game I played 'see if I can trick the blind spot sensor' on his car. About 1 in 15 times or so I could put my car squarely in the blind spot and not have the light on his mirror go on. Also, anytime I was too far forward, or too far back (but still beside him) the blind spot light did not turn on. So it is ONLY useful for cars in a very narrow spot, and only 'most' of the time. Probably useful, but not a 100% solution, and I bet he was pretty pissed at his mirror blinking on and off over a hundred times in the 1/2hr I was beside him (I wasn't intentionally screwing with him, traffic just putting me slightly ahead then slightly behind kinda thing).
Let me understand this. As a family fun game you decided to drive in a driver’s blind spot to see how often his/her car’s blind spot recognition system would succeed or fail to recognise you? You did this fifteen times or so?

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea?

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker