Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shoddy quality and poor QC and missing parts..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weight reduction.

People remove the fender liners all the time when running larger aftermarket wheels. I have had many performance cars, track them and been part of multiple car forums. I never heard anything about water concerns like OP is stating. The fender liners are there to protect the fenders from stones flying off the tire and damaging them. Non of those fasteners are water thight anyway...

Really, Drama post?
How many new cars did you buy? and how many have the issue like this? In Total 10 cars I bought so far, how many had issues like model 3?,
Zero... yes that is big zero..

Let me clarify. that does not mean I do not like my car. I like it very much how it drives. But QC is extremely poor, not just for 60k Car, for any car.

My thoughts exactly align with Munro and associates.

About visiting service, I just got it back from service after 7 days, with only 3 things things fixed out 10+ list. Despite it these repairs are schedule more than week ahead, they did not procure any parts that is required for repairs, some they did not bother to attempt, some they did not even bother to read notes. I can not really believe.

While Musk is talking about precision of 0.15mm, service center thinks this is within tolerances.

Welcome to Tesla ownership, one day they’ll figure out this stuff. Until then enjoy the car, there is nothing else like them!

These clips do not seal anything, missing or not.
Front wheel wells, that is correct. That's also correct for some vehicle where the clips goes in to mounts. But in the case of model 3, behind the clip hole I see some lining, I am guessing trunk lining.

If anyone did some digging, please do share what you find. I will try to do some digging if no answers tomorrow.

But for those clips, need to look into odds n ends surplus items to find some of those fender clips. ( Have been doing my own repair on my cars for more than a decade, so more likely find 1 or 2.)

But I do hope, I am wrong, and what I see some exterior stuff, nothing goes inside.

Last edited:
Probably that true though. Local Service Manager was replying to email last night at 10PM, trying to catch all screw ups from factory,

But that does not give excuse to miss twice at factory.
Presuming you mean Bellevue SC on 24th?

That’s a bit of an leap with hyperbole, that may cause accusations of your intent here. I believe you’re genuine and just not aware, or perhaps caring, of what happens.

Every new car delivered from a factory requires PDI (pre delivery inspection). Minimum of few hours each, that includes removing transport wraps, checking for damage, checking tire pressures, detail, etc. Tesla is no different. That team who are working multiple shifts now are delivering cars, particularly Model 3s, as quickly as they can to customers. Will they miss things, eg missing wheel well cover dark clips against dark background? Of course. Do they take feedback and improve, and give updates back to factory when they see patterns, or need to root cause bigger issues? Yes. Do the factory actually listen, and improve based on this dats? Experientially, yes.

Having the service manager drop a personal email or call (had those too) is massively better than every other dealership I’ve purchased, and had serviced, quite a number of cars from. Doing that outside of regular hours? Unique.

Although you are correct that issues need addressing, based on experience, they will do so. Even to the satisfaction of a number of my OCD friends ;).
Not everything is perfect, (eg if you have a dark color, never let any dealer detail your car), though I am really pleased with Bellevue, Seattle and Portland SCs attitude and tenacity to make their customers happy. Most recently I had them change over my winter wheels / tires for summer ones on my p85dl. They didn’t put wheel lug covers back on and lost them. With the run on these for m3s, I had to be patient. That they call to notify and apologize for such a tiny thing is huge to me.
When I compare their approach with the attitude of two other dealers (VW and a Chevrolet) that I have vehicles from and their approaches and it is sobering. Even previous Lexus dealer was bad. The sell up, profit centers that will default to denying warranty work unless broken, the ways they screw over the manufacturers at your expense (“of course we filled the DEF on the free service”) - they do manage to note it and charge it back, scratching steering wheel leather and denying it to the point you have to start to threaten action, etc. Meanwhile Tesla will proactively remedy issues you didn’t even know about, voluntarily address potential recalls ahead of rtsb dictate, etc.

Nett: sorry you aren’t as ecstatic with everything on your 3 that you could be. It will get fixed. Until then, enjoy a revolutionary car from approach to car purchase, ownership and driving experience every day...

/getting off soap box ;)

Reactions: M109Rider
@MikeBur,

I do like M3 and I do enjoy driving it. Infact I drove S and X many times before as few of my friend have those, I also test drove those at Bellevue center and was even given very sweet offer on S couple of times. But I was looking for M3, not because of cost(its just side benifit), because how it is lighter and would out handle S and X (Acceleration is just small part of equation).

Yes, I am familiar with PDI process. I am referring to factory error twice, they forgot to install (it seems I am not only the one) and QC missed it to.

PDI, I doubt they are doing that much detailed inspection, just doing basic walk around. My car has bumper paint deep scratch, as well as alloy wheel finish chipped off about 3/4 inch(very easy to see). No one noted or fixed anything despite car was in center for full one week.

Even during sales, that sales guy I got was really annoying, he does not want to note down problems, neither he know anything about the car. He out right lye about glove box not have light (It was not working). He kept threatening me I should skip taking delivery and wait for another one knowing that we would lose WA state sales tax benefit.

Service, I am not sure whose fault it is, they did not even touch the car for 3 days, and they did not bother to order parts needed, no body followed up. Only when I called, they said it would not be ready on that date. After my call, they took it in, and did some basic things, like replacing alloy wheel, programming my additional keycards and getting bumper paint fixed, glove box bulb change. Nothing else(for full week 7).

It is possible they are overwhelmed with Model 3 deliveries, and also lack of training about Model 3 might have contributed to some of the issues.

To be fair, service manager has been very nice, and to me seems genuinely interested in addressing the issues. Hope, they will order necessary parts soon and fix remainder list. Not sure how much alignment issues they will fix though.

@MikeBur,

I do like M3 and I do enjoy driving it. Infact I drove S and X many times before as few of my friend have those, I also test drove those at Bellevue center and was even given very sweet offer on S couple of times. But I was looking for M3, not because of cost(its just side benifit), because how it is lighter and would out handle S and X (Acceleration is just small part of equation).

Yes, I am familiar with PDI process. I am referring to factory error twice, they forgot to install (it seems I am not only the one) and QC missed it to.

PDI, I doubt they are doing that much detailed inspection, just doing basic walk around. My car has bumper paint deep scratch, as well as alloy wheel finish chipped off about 3/4 inch(very easy to see). No one noted or fixed anything despite car was in center for full one week.

Even during sales, that sales guy I got was really annoying, he does not want to note down problems, neither he know anything about the car. He out right lye about glove box not have light (It was not working). He kept threatening me I should skip taking delivery and wait for another one knowing that we would lose WA state sales tax benefit.

Service, I am not sure whose fault it is, they did not even touch the car for 3 days, and they did not bother to order parts needed, no body followed up. Only when I called, they said it would not be ready on that date. After my call, they took it in, and did some basic things, like replacing alloy wheel, programming my additional keycards and getting bumper paint fixed, glove box bulb change. Nothing else(for full week 7).

It is possible they are overwhelmed with Model 3 deliveries, and also lack of training about Model 3 might have contributed to some of the issues.

To be fair, service manager has been very nice, and to me seems genuinely interested in addressing the issues. Hope, they will order necessary parts soon and fix remainder list. Not sure how much alignment issues they will fix though.
Thanks for the detailed response. I know what you mean re m3 vs S and X. Wife much prefers 3 over X and doesn’t regret it for one moment, even with the lower seating position.

Factory does appear like it missed some things, and I’m sure now it’s been pointed out, they’ll modify behaviors though at the production rates now, it hopefully hits the service centers too as another spot check on pdi. I’m tempted to check my wife’s now, though it’s a bit dark ;)

Wow, that’s a very different experience and unfortunate to hear. As you say, the lack of WA sales tax exemption now is an issue if you didn’t accept, though I have never come across the sales behaviors you mention. Our sales delivery person was knowledgeable, polite, and noted the couple of issues for their we-owe (scratches in clear coat) and they called us to set up follow-up. I’m not enamored with the group approach, doubly so as we were much earlier, and didn’t have a heads-up that this was very different to previous.

You may be correct with them being overwhelmed. We know Tesla did prioritise deliveries to WA to help get the most exemption-applicable cars through. Perhaps that put too much strain on the process overall? I do remember seeing that bottom car park overflowing and watching multiple car transporters arrive over an hour. Craziness.

Maddy and her team are great and truly do care. Good luck and hope things improve for you.