Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TSLA added to IBD's Leaderboard today, first time for an automaker!

UPDATED 12:44 PM ET| Tesla Motors is forming a high, tight flag, reflecting solid price action while the market corrects. The potential buy point is 107.23, derived from a resistance level that is lower than what is normally used in these patterns. The high, tight flag is a rare base, but can lead to powerful gains. Historical examples of the base include other innovators, such as stun-gun maker Taser. The Accumulation/Distribution Rating and up/down volume ratio support the thinking that the stock remains under accumulation while most leaders are weakening. Backstory: Tesla is leading other automakers in alternative-fuel cars. It makes all-electric cars, which appeal to those who want to avoid the gas pump or the emissions caused by internal-combustion engines. Tesla has been ramping up production faster than expected. But Teslas are not for everyone: The cheapest Model S sells for $62,400 after tax credits. Tesla doesn’t have the profit history of winning stocks, but it does have a breakthrough product and the company is expected to have its first annual profit next year, 88 cents a share.

We passed the 107.23 mark. I wonder if we'll see IBD folks start putting money in.

Technicals pushing it up, high short interest pushing it up, market sentiment improving pushing it up.

I'm loving it. Don't need it to go into insanity mode like it did weeks back where it shot $105-$114 overnight essentially, but enjoy it gaining hard fought ground and proving itself there.

However, if we begin to push to high too fast it might be time to hedge with some puts.

Technicals pushing it up, high short interest pushing it up, market sentiment improving pushing it up.

I'm loving it. Don't need it to go into insanity mode like it did weeks back where it shot $105-$114 overnight essentially, but enjoy it gaining hard fought ground and proving itself there.

However, if we begin to push to high too fast it might be time to hedge with some puts.

Interesting to see the the Short Interst rise again after epic squeeze without a meaningful correction. You'd think they would have learned their lessen the first time. Curious to see what the June 30th report looks like.

Settlement Short Interest Avg Vol Days To Cover
6/14/2013 19,929,119 10,040,777 1.984818
5/31/2013 18,584,615 15,751,250 1.179882

Interesting to see the the Short Interst rise again after epic squeeze without a meaningful correction. You'd think they would have learned their lessen the first time. Curious to see what the June 30th report looks like.

Settlement Short Interest Avg Vol Days To Cover
6/14/2013 19,929,119 10,040,777 1.984818
5/31/2013 18,584,615 15,751,250 1.179882

So many technical bears saw a head & shoulders pattern and were predicting epic downside. There's going to be plenty of "now is a good time to short" traders for awhile I figure.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm trying to figure exactly where the sweet spot is for this play, seeing a bit of pullback now but nothing's cheap yet. Watching the Jul 05 105 Puts.

Keep in mind the market are closed on July 4th next week so your option denies you a day of movement.

Well no legislative problems for Tesla Motors here in Illinois. Our state senate president owns a Model S. Yesterday he cut the ribbon to open the Tesla Supercharger station in Normal, Illinois. That is the recharging point between Chicago and St. Louis. It turns out that my failure to be elected as a state representative last year makes no difference regarding Tesla. Specialized car-charging station opens in Normal

We passed the 107.23 mark. I wonder if we'll see IBD folks start putting money in.

Here's today's update - buy buy buy! ;)

UPDATED 11:05 AM ET| Tesla Motors cleared a 107.23 buy point from a rare high, tight flag Thursday morning in swift volume. The 107.23 entry is an alternative buy point derived from a resistance level that is lower than what is normally used in these patterns. Generally, the buy point is 10 cents above the left-side high. The high, tight flag is a setup that can lead to powerful gains. The pattern forms when a stock moves sideways for a few weeks after a price gain of 100% or more. Historical examples of the base include other innovators, such as Taser, Qualcomm and JDS Uniphase. Tesla's Accumulation/Distribution Rating and up/down volume ratio support the thinking that the stock remains under accumulation. Backstory: Tesla is leading other automakers in alternative-fuel cars. It makes all-electric cars, which appeal to those who want to avoid the gas pump or the emissions caused by internal-combustion engines. The company also produces electric powertrain components for Daimler AG and Toyota. Tesla has been ramping up production faster than expected. But Teslas are not for everyone: The cheapest Model S sells for $62,400 after tax credits. Tesla doesn’t have the profit history of winning stocks, but it does have a breakthrough product, and the company is expected to have its first annual profit next year, 88 cents a share.

May 29th was an awful day, hitting $115 in pre-market and then falling to about $103 before rallying the next day only to descend down to $88. So careful out there. I feel like this is different as it has been more controlled and a different set of holders right now.
Yeah, we are done with the consolidation phase. Even volatility has died back down to normal. BTW, hope everyone is swimming in money shorting TSLA Volatility. If not, visit the advanced options thread from time to time. And again, my own corp's story follows that of TSLA stock. I just passed a major hurdle with my investors. I am going to pay TSLA a visit once I am back to see if they'd buy something from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.