Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was happy to see TSLA dip today, it triggered my buy order and now my wife and I are proud Tesla stockholders whose new Model S is set to arrive in our garage by early December.

I'm in the stock for the long term so will ignore the daily fluctuations for years to come.

What I think many people don't realize is that Tesla isn't just a car company. They are an energy storage company that happens to make cars. Their future earnings potential is huge...

While talking with my daughter about someone we know that owns two model S's she was shocked that they owned two. I told her someday we will own two. This then got me started down a thought path about the last week of stock movement we have seen. I was trying to put together in my head how the movement relates to shipping cars to the EU, Eastern Asia, model X, gen iii, the huge supercharger network, self drive, plus the plethora of patents that Tesla Motors owns. I then realized that there was an inverse relationship.

I was happy to see TSLA dip today, it triggered my buy order and now my wife and I are proud Tesla stockholders whose new Model S is set to arrive in our garage by early December.

I'm in the stock for the long term so will ignore the daily fluctuations for years to come.

What I think many people don't realize is that Tesla isn't just a car company. They are an energy storage company that happens to make cars. Their future earnings potential is huge...

Thanks for this :) .... this is the one of the reasons that the fire and all this government nonsense that I could care less about (here is looking at your curt.... I actually could care a whole lot less lol) will make the stock stronger in the run up to q3 ..... More longs that are making their first purchase or adding to their position that have no plan on selling any time soon.

This is a little painful and as always I could have played it with better moves but all of my options are after the Oct 17th Dday ... so I will sit tight and count on the huge upswing coming.

I love reading articles like the Motley Fool one on the right hand side about the 1 million dollar car. It tells me people still don't get it. I'm more than happy to take their money.

Not too sure why the stock was down today, probably just macroeconomic factors or a new round of shorts entering due to outlets like fool publishing articles like I mentioned above. They cite really poor examples of risk and underestimate whose at hand on Tesla. He cites scaling up as a problem. Poor guy doesn't realize who Gilbert Passin is or that the factory is only using 20% space... Enjoy this flatline guys and place your bets because Q3 ER are just around the corner.

All these government issues will be solved, it's a short term issue. I was thinking to myself today that if I had more cash available would I be buying, I then realized I had bought back some calls I sold at a bad time, so technically, I did buy today. Happy to take advantage of the dip. This is the short term thread, so I get that everyone is trying to figure out the next week or two. I'm staying away until this issue is solved which i'm confident it will be without to much damage to TSLA.

+1 to THIS. I have long preached that what the US needs to do to achieve global leadership in renewables is to reinvent energy storage. This is precisely what Elon is doing, in the guise of the most gorgeous car in the world, which simultaneously solves sustainable transportation. But this is the long term potential, certainly.

+1 to THIS. I have long preached that what the US needs to do to achieve global leadership in renewables is to reinvent energy storage. This is precisely what Elon is doing, in the guise of the most gorgeous car in the world, which simultaneously solves sustainable transportation. But this is the long term potential, certainly.

And that is why as a shareholder I would be extremely happy if Tesla takes out a low interest couple $ billion loan from the Government again. They could then build a huge battery factory and this will benefit shareholders immensely.

A huge battery factory will allow Tesla to build very high margin battery storage systems for residential solar projects. This also allows Elon to stay true to his word that his only goal is to expedite the sustainable energy solution. It will also allow Obama to have to winner and now turn it into a big time winner to validate the entire lending program.

A government loan is the most logical thing to do in my opinion.

And that is why as a shareholder I would be extremely happy if Tesla takes out a low interest couple $ billion loan from the Government again. They could then build a huge battery factory and this will benefit shareholders immensely.

A huge battery factory will allow Tesla to build very high margin battery storage systems for residential solar projects. This also allows Elon to stay true to his word that his only goal is to expedite the sustainable energy solution. It will also allow Obama to have to winner and now turn it into a big time winner to validate the entire lending program.

A government loan is the most logical thing to do in my opinion.

Absolutely agreed, and I will be surprised if we do not see one or both of these start to happen in the next year.

@brianman: My post was clearly aimed at the short term effects of the presidents speech on the stock market. Perhaps You read it again. If this thread gets hijacked too often, perhaps You should consider to rename it. Calling it crap without a proper argumentation is not the politeness I expected among fellow investors.

Does Morgan Stanley think TSLA is overvalued? They won't tell you until after the earnings call.

This from a research note today:

Our key question for investors: what’s your edge?
Most investors we speak with believe TSLA shares are significantly overvalued. We fall back to the dialogue we honed during the Porsche-VW saga of 2008. We ask ‘What’s your edge’? We typically get 3 categories of responses: (1) ‘My edge is valuation’; (2) ‘My edge is I’m new to the story and have a patient capital base that can afford to get it wrong for a very long time; and (3) ‘I have no edge, but believe this is a momentum stock that must execute perfectly to keep working and they probably don’t.’ TSLA is trading above our $149 fair value which we can re-assess with new information from 3Q results.

IMO kind of a worthless research note...the only concern they could come up with is so far fetched:

What would trip up the TSLA story? If the Gen 3 is described as 'spunky' and 'a spirited ride... but ultimately the 2017 BMW 3 Series is the better car.' This would represent a major challenge for TSLA.

Interesting, both Asian and European markets are up, maybe because of the appointment of the new head of the FED? Maybe there will be a brief rally today and then dip again tomorrow, like Sleepy predicted. What do you guys think?

I think it might be because of this: "Ms. Yellen's nomination would mean the Fed is unlikely to make any unusual lurches in its easy-money policies in the near term. Ms. Yellen has been a proponent of the Fed's efforts to spur economic growth with near-zero short-term interest rates and experimental bond-buying programs and worked closely with Mr. Bernanke as he crafted his strategies." (Source: WSJ)

@brianman: My post was clearly aimed at the short term effects of the presidents speech on the stock market. Perhaps You read it again. If this thread gets hijacked too often, perhaps You should consider to rename it. Calling it crap without a proper argumentation is not the politeness I expected among fellow investors.

Let's be honest. The part he quoted was out of line.

You need to relax, you are getting so emotional about the politics that it is going to screw with your ability to make good decisions with your money.

On the WSJ yesterday:
“A lot of what you’re seeing is a resetting of some of the short-term tactical trades moving into the debt-ceiling crisis,” said Bryan Novak, director of trading and portfolio manager at Astor Asset Management. “The medium to longer-term players aren’t necessarily moving around in this market.”
Doug Crofton, managing director in cash equities with Bank of America Merrill Lynch, agreed.
“It’s trader types, not long-term investors” selling, he said. “Everybody is watching the same thing, and the closer we get to the [debt-ceiling] deadline without a resolution, the more buyers will get discounts.”

I agree. I have been shifting my portfolio too much towards short term plays. This is probably a good time to buy, but you must set your sights for the right timeframe.

Status
Not open for further replies.