Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The great thing about Hertz renting Model S's, is, anyone can rent one for a week or two, and see what living with the car is like. Sure beats the usual 15 minute test drives from Tesla. I suppose CA is the perfect market for this, with the massive SuperCharger deployment, renters won't be limited in where they can drive the rented Model S. Hopefully Hertz can expand this program to other major cities, that are Tesla centric and have a deployed SuperCharger infrastructure, like Dallas, Miami, New York, etc.

Knowing rental car company shenanigans, however, you're going to get whacked for a $2.95/kWh recharge fee if you bring it back at less than full! ;)

Yeah, they all have Shenanigans. In my experience, Hertz is the one company where they stop pulling these Shenanigans for their more frequent customers. I can't remember how many times they've overlooked me returning the car a day late and giving me free upgrades about 3/4 of the time (100% in a big city). But I sure got nickel and dimed to death before I moved up in status.

In any case, even though it is old news to me. For the general public, it is probably new. I for one just heard about it today and I follow both companies.

60 minutes did a decent segment on high-frequency trading a few years ago:
Wall Street: The speed traders - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Yes! this was a great segment to see. It's a different trading world we're in that most people think...the first chapter of the book "Automate This" published last year describes in fun and easy reading terms how the market evolved into the electronic high frequency trading machine it is today. The other chapters are all very interesting too (each chapter is about a different industry and how algos are taking over the world in general). If anyone's looking for a good book this is it...that first chapter will help give some background on the high frequency trading short term price movements of all stocks including TSLA.

Yes! this was a great segment to see. It's a different trading world we're in that most people think...the first chapter of the book "Automate This" published last year describes in fun and easy reading terms how the market evolved into the electronic high frequency trading machine it is today. The other chapters are all very interesting too (each chapter is about a different industry and how algos are taking over the world in general). If anyone's looking for a good book this is it...that first chapter will help give some background on the high frequency trading short term price movements of all stocks including TSLA.

Another really interesting video on high frequency trading: How High Frequency Trading Works, Trading Speed, and the Flash Crash

The point that was interesting that they talked about was the race to shorten communication times between Chicago and NYC. Some company spent 8 figures to build a straighter fiber optic line between Chi and nyc to reduce signal travel time by 2 ms!

This makes me very nervous. Truthfully I haven't been paying too much attention to my shares lately due to work, but I'm nervous of a sharp correction. I'm wondering at what point do I throw more money down on the table. I was expecting it to get to $170 for a healthy pull back so I can get in on some $180 Nov Calls... Waiting for GS to make an announcement haha

All these ATHs going into the end of the 3rd quarter, I have to wonder how much upside is left even if Tesla beats their numbers significantly.

Yeah, I guess the question is what happens when we hit the level where there is no more price potential to be taken out. Will we move sideways for a long time, or will there be intense volatility (downwards so) on small news? Tesla has every potential to become a huge bubble stock even if everything goes well. Take this with a grain of salt, but it's almost like the dotcom boom or the tulip mania: Changing economic conditions lead to massive change for the better, and investors no longer really have a clue how much money there is to make from it.

This makes me very nervous. Truthfully I haven't been paying too much attention to my shares lately due to work, but I'm nervous of a sharp correction. I'm wondering at what point do I throw more money down on the table. I was expecting it to get to $170 for a healthy pull back so I can get in on some $180 Nov Calls... Waiting for GS to make an announcement haha

I don't have sleepyhead's Magic 8 Ball prediction, but I'm speculating that Goldman Sachs won't put out an analysis until sometime in October, perhaps around first half to mid October before November's Q3Y13 report. I'm thinking this would allow their client to either exercise the notes (20 out of 30 consecutive days met) at the beginning of October or sell the notes and buy back in at a lower price. The previous quarter's GS analysis came out at about 3 weeks (Jul. 16) before and 1 day after (Aug. 8) the Q2Y13 report (Aug. 7). Before that, it came out at about 4 weeks (Apr. 3) before and 1 day after (May 9) the Q1Y13 (May 8). So with such speculation, I think TSLA would trade anywhere from $185-$210 before getting sacked by GS. Here's a link to past GS analyses: http://www.streetinsider.com/rating_history.php?q=TSLA&firm=1

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I guess the question is what happens when we hit the level where there is no more price potential to be taken out. Will we move sideways for a long time, or will there be intense volatility (downwards so) on small news? Tesla has every potential to become a huge bubble stock even if everything goes well. Take this with a grain of salt, but it's almost like the dotcom boom or the tulip mania: Changing economic conditions lead to massive change for the better, and investors no longer really have a clue how much money there is to make from it.

I can see this theoretical bubble to burst sometime by mid next year if Model X gets delayed. Otherwise, I think TSLA will probably trade sideways or go up less than what we see this year due to waiting for Model X release.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.